I've been offered a job | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I've been offered a job

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Seniorita the Seavey Family are a three generation family of sled dog mushers. http://www.ididaride.com They race in the Iditarod - http://www.iditarod.com - and in 2004 Mitch Seavey won the race. Grandfather Dan Seavey helped create the Iditarod 40 years ago. Mitch's sons have also run the Iditarod (Dallas Seavey is the most competitive of the boys). My job will be to run their social media and online reservations (in the summer time they give dog sled rides/demonstrations) basically I get paid to play on their twitter, website, and facebook all day - ish. lol

I think it sounds delightful, Toni. You may feel lucky to get this job, but from reading your posts, I am of the opinion that they are lucky to get you to work for them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think it sounds delightful, Toni. You may feel lucky to get this job, but from reading your posts, I am of the opinion that they are lucky to get you to work for them.

That's basically what Danny kept saying, that I was a huge asset as far as he was concerned. We'll see. I'm already seeing a lot of crap by the anti-I D I T A R O D sort who believe that the Seavey's and others are abusing their dogs. All because they don't live a pampered pet lifestyle... I deal with that off and on, sure, but when it's venom directed at people I admire, respect and KNOW and I know that what they're claiming as fact is not only incorrect but outright lies it really wears on me. their tour has only maybe five bad reviews, and they're all the same person. If it was really that bad why are they coming back? Oh, wait, they didn't take the tour, they just post crap on tripadvisor and other places. RIDICULOUS!

That's basically what Danny kept saying, that I was a huge asset as far as he was concerned. We'll see. I'm already seeing a lot of crap by the anti-I D I T A R O D sort who believe that the Seavey's and others are abusing their dogs. All because they don't live a pampered pet lifestyle... I deal with that off and on, sure, but when it's venom directed at people I admire, respect and KNOW and I know that what they're claiming as fact is not only incorrect but outright lies it really wears on me. their tour has only maybe five bad reviews, and they're all the same person. If it was really that bad why are they coming back? Oh, wait, they didn't take the tour, they just post crap on tripadvisor and other places. RIDICULOUS!

I once helped write an elementary school math textbook, and when I worked up some story problems about the race (distance in miles, average mileage traveled per day, and so forth), they told me that the topic was too "controversial." These folk were so chicken that we weren't even allowed to write story problems about zoos, because they were afraid that activists would protest that. Another program I worked on was fine with the topic, thank goodness, and that's how we got the wonderful article in that gave the history of the original run. Sigh...some people have a very narrow idea of purity (in any of a number of directions) and are very offended if everyone else doesn't live by their ideals. This happens on both sides of the political spectrum. It does get old after awhile, doesn't it? I remember once reading in a magazine an interview with a TV actress who made some light comment about feeling as though her hips were the size of Bolivia, and someone wrote in and said that the woman had offended Bolivians everywhere.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just did my first interview with Conway and Mitch. Con just won the Jr. I D I T A R O D and had a run in with a moose... Mitch is preparing for it. Going out to their place in Sterling to get pictures. I'm not gonna complain. At least if my exploder gets stuck they have dog power to pull me out!

Ana Raquel

Rinkside

Sounds like you don't want to go. Anyway,count the Pros and the Cons of this job
and try not to sign a contract.

Ana Raquel

Rinkside
If you could move over there with a family member or a friend -that would be ideal.
If not you can maintain daily contact with them via email and on the phone-it helps a lot
and travel to the states when you have a chance.
Do go where you think you will be happy or comfortable,don't do it for the money or if it
doesn't sound like a place you would dislike been at.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks for posting, Ana. Post often and long! :)

and thanks, Buzzz! Haven't seen you in a while, good to see your post this morning! :biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Seniorita the Seavey Family are a three generation family of sled dog mushers. http://www.ididaride.com They race in the Iditarod - http://www.iditarod.com - and in 2004 Mitch Seavey won the race. Grandfather Dan Seavey helped create the Iditarod 40 years ago. Mitch's sons have also run the Iditarod (Dallas Seavey is the most competitive of the boys). My job will be to run their social media and online reservations (in the summer time they give dog sled rides/demonstrations) basically I get paid to play on their twitter, website, and facebook all day - ish. lol

I thought you had said me something in the past and I thought it was a kind of your hobby like figure skating, so if I had understood well and you go work of them it sounds a thrilling idea to do your hobby a job!!! If there is no other problem moving out again, go go!!!
Btw I opened the site you sent me and I dont know if you can imagine how brand new world is this to me, I had no idea! I watched the chapter one documentary so far and I m gonna watch the second!Scenery is beautiful as well, very different to what I m used to look! :p

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes, this is the other sport I follow religiously - possibly more so than I do figure skating! Mushing is a sport for a different breed of dog and human alike. They are freaking amazing, all of them!

For anyone interested in who I'm working for, here's a segment one of the local news stations did last night - http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...QH3xo2qAQG_7CRJyWpIduVfIJ00QN1q2kN6YQvMXQYLLQ

Let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll figure it out.