2012 Gardena Spring Trophy, April 12-15 in Italy | Golden Skate

2012 Gardena Spring Trophy, April 12-15 in Italy

Sylvia

Record Breaker
USFS published the names of their 4 entries today on their International Assignments page: Nathan Chen (J1), Lukas Kaugars (J5), Barbie Long (J4) and Mariah Bell (J5). This will be the international debut for all 4 skaters -- Chen will compete as a novice (he turns 13 in May); the other 3 will compete as juniors.

Event info page: http://www.valgardena.it/gardenaspringtrophy/program.htm

lcd

Match Penalty
Ah, how exciting. The international debut of Nathan Chen! Let the journey begin. Nathan is old enough then (May) to compete on the JGPrix circuit, right Sylvia?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ah, how exciting. The international debut of Nathan Chen! Let the journey begin. Nathan is old enough then (May) to compete on the JGPrix circuit, right Sylvia?

Yes he turns 13 before July 1, 2012 so he can compete on the JGP starting in the fall. He's competing in the Novice category here because he's still 12 and therefore too young to compete in junior international events for the remainder of this season. I can't wait for next season. I imagine we might be seeing some cutie patootie podiums on the JGP with Shoma, Nyugen, and Chen! :)

fairly4

Medalist
i tried to pull up the scores and couldn't for the novice even look at the judges scores so can someone please post them.

thanks.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
results for novice men are in...Nathan wins another gold medal!

With two invalid spins no less. He's murdering the competition in regards to PCS. Considering the disparity, he must look like an honest to God virtuoso to the judges.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
With two invalid spins no less. He's murdering the competition in regards to PCS. Considering the disparity, he must look like an honest to God virtuoso to the judges.

Nathan deserves to have such high PCS. I know he is very little, but he has really good basics and transitions for someone his age. I think he will do very well on the JGP, his spins usually are not a problem, usually they are great!

icebeauty

On the Ice
Nathan deserves to have such high PCS. I know he is very little, but he has really good basics and transitions for someone his age. I think he will do very well on the JGP, his spins usually are not a problem, usually they are great!

I think what helps Nathan in PCS is his size...he's TINY, which makes what he does do more impressive. So it's not fair to compare his ice coverage and speed to skaters who are significantly taller/bigger than him directly, but he's shown us and the judges through the years that he has solid skating skills, knows how to give a performance with clean and properly executed technical elements. That means even when he does make mistakes, he can make it up in other areas.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think what helps Nathan in PCS is his size...he's TINY, which makes what he does do more impressive. So it's not fair to compare his ice coverage and speed to skaters who are significantly taller/bigger than him directly, but he's shown us and the judges through the years that he has solid skating skills, knows how to give a performance with clean and properly executed technical elements. That means even when he does make mistakes, he can make it up in other areas.

Well, you may be right. I wonder when Nathan will finally grow though, it's going to be hard for him to do well on the senior level if he stays so small for a long time, which he could. I mean, Shoma Uno is already 14 and just 4'7", he looks even shorter than Chen, who is listed as the same height, but that's from last season, so he's likely around 4'9" now. I wonder how close he is on the 3a, I know he is working on it, but I feel like he'd need to be bigger and have more power to land it, though I guess Nam Nyugen is tiny and has 3a, and Mao Asada was doing 3a when she was about the same age/size as Nathan. Maybe Nathan will just end up like Oda though, so he may not have more to grow than a lot of other boys his age because he'll end up several inches shorter than average even when fully grown.