Amelie Lacoste: Canada's best figure skater looks forward to Sochi | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Amelie Lacoste: Canada's best figure skater looks forward to Sochi

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Maybe. How about this: both LaCoste and Phaneuf had three international skates this season. Osmond's score outpoints both of them in any of their skates.

Now you are talking!

Osmond really is a gem and the future of Canadian Ladies. She is technically very strong, full of personality, and has no nerves but loves to perform. Most Canadian Ladies have lacked mental toughness for important competitions. Josee Chouinard never achieved her potential competitively despite being a favorite of judges. Cynthia Phaneuf is largely inconsistent. Hopefully further tutelage from Orser will change that.

I haven't seen Osmond yet but have a very good feeling about her from what I've heard here. You say she has mental toughness? That would be great to see. What are her other strengths?

ice_mommy

Spectator
Right now her strengths are her technical abilities and mental strength. Her weakness is all that is included in the component marks. They seem to mark differently in Juniors as opposed to Seniors.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I haven't seen Osmond yet but have a very good feeling about her from what I've heard here. You say she has mental toughness? That would be great to see. What are her other strengths?

She trains in one of the largest malls in the world with live audiences everyday. So performing in competitions doesn't faze her at all. She loves it. I believe she did a triple/triple combo at the Canadian Nationals and won the SP. She still needs maturity and sophistication, sort of like last year's Kanako Murakami of Japan in a way.

Thanks, SF. By the way, I notice that many of the top ladies' skaters in Canada (recently, at any rate) are French Canadian: Chouinard, Lacoste, Rochette, Phaneuf, and in other disciplines I remember Brasseur and the Duchesnays, who began in Canada, and one of my favorite ice dance teams, Dubreuil and Lauzon. Is Quebec specifically a center for skating?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks, SF. By the way, I notice that many of the top ladies' skaters in Canada (recently, at any rate) are French Canadian: Chouinard, Lacoste, Rochette, Phaneuf, and in other disciplines I remember Brasseur and the Duchesnays, who began in Canada, and one of my favorite ice dance teams, Dubreuil and Lauzon. Is Quebec specifically a center for skating?

Definitely very strong in Ladies, relatively of course. Sad to call them strong today.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I got to see Osmond for the first time on TV during Nats this year.

She impressed me quite a lot, especially her SP. She attacked with massive 3-3 and was literally flying on the ice.
What I liked about her is, she already has her own 'personality' on ice.

She has a decent jump technique, athletic, yet very flexible with biellmann spins, which, some of Canadian ladies are not good at for some reason.

I look forward to seeing how she will mature on the Senior circuit.

Btw, I have not seen Myriane Samson for a while. What happened to her? anyone knows?

Mao88

Record Breaker
Here is Kaetlyn Osmond's (CAN) performance from the preliminaries at junior worlds. Very impressive. I think that by the time of the Olympics in 2014, she will be Canada's leading ladies skater. In fact, I think that was far better than what Lacoste and Phaneuf produced at 4CC.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It was a great performance certainly for a Canadian lady. She is young and probably needs more power (you can see some similarities to a young Rochette) and improved speed and edging which comes with conditioning, experience and time. Her jumps and spins don't have the dynamics of the top juniors - yet but compared to her compatriots she has a threat. Phaneuf would have to regain her power and jumps to compete; although back in many people minds - Joannie Rochette - Canada needs you and soon.

Mao88

Record Breaker
It is also worth noting that Osmond added the triple lutz in her preliminaries program compared to nationals and her score, despite it being a junior free skate with 1 less element, was higher than both Lacoste's and Phaneuf's at 4CC. Hence, if Kaetlyn performs as well in the main competition, there may be an argument for sending her to senior Worlds this year. The fact of the matter is that if she can now show that she represents the future of Canadian ladies figure skating and is the main hope for the Olympics, then she needs to start gaining senior Worlds experience as soon as possible. If by the time of the Olympics she has only been to 1 world championships previously, then it would be very difficult for her to produce her best. By sending her this year on the other, she would then have 2 years worth of senior Worlds experience.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
It is also worth noting that Osmond added the triple lutz in her preliminaries program compared to nationals and her score, despite it being a junior free skate with 1 less element, was higher than both Lacoste's and Phaneuf's at 4CC. Hence, if Kaetlyn performs as well in the main competition, there may be an argument for sending her to senior Worlds this year. The fact of the matter is that if she can now show that she represents the future of Canadian ladies figure skating and is the main hope for the Olympics, then she needs to start gaining senior Worlds experience as soon as possible. If by the time of the Olympics she has only been to 1 world championships previously, then it would very difficult for her to produce her best. By sending her this year on the other and, she would have 2 years worth of experience.

What you wrote is probably correct.
We can see a lot of potentials in her.

But the idea of sending Osmond to Worlds over Amelie this year, after her good showing at Jr. Worlds preliminary round...it's not just fair.

Skate Canada used the recent 4CC as 'rematch' to determine which one of the two, Amelie or Cynthia to send to Worlds, and already announced Amelie get to go. Besides, she did not beat any of Amelie and Cynthia at Nats after all.

IF Skate Canada had sent Osmond to 4CC, used as 'rematch' among the THREE, and IF she could have beaten the two, the story would have been different, of course.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
What you wrote is probably correct.
We can see a lot of potentials in her.

But the idea of sending Osmond to Worlds over Amelie this year, after her good showing at Jr. Worlds preliminary round...it's not just fair.

Skate Canada used the recent 4CC as 'rematch' to determine which one of the two, Amelie or Cynthia to send to Worlds, and already announced Amelie get to go. Besides, she did not beat any of Amelie and Cynthia at Nats after all.

IF Skate Canada had sent Osmond to 4CC, used as 'rematch' among the THREE, and IF she could have beaten the two, the story would have been different, of course.

I am not saying that it should be based on the prelims, but (as I stated in post 50 above) if and only if Osmond skates well in the main competition at junior worlds

Hence, if Kaetlyn performs as well in the main competition, there may be an argument for sending her to senior Worlds this year.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
I am not saying that it should be based on the prelims, but (as I stated in post 50 above) if and only if Osmond skates well in the main competition at junior worlds

Ah, okay.
I must have offended your feelings. My apologies.
English is not my mother-tongue.
I should be more careful about reading other posts before posting mine.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
sending Osmond is not a good idea into sending seniors regardless of the result at junior worlds
she would still likely be ranked lower than Amelie if sent.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Ah, okay.
I must have offended your feelings. My apologies.
English is not my mother-tongue.
I should be more careful about reading other posts before posting mine.

No you didn't - don't worry about it. I was simply clarifying that I thought any decision should be based on how well she performs in the main competition and not on what she did just in prelims

deedee1

Record Breaker
No you didn't - don't worry about it. I was simply clarifying that I thought any decision should be based on how well she performs in the main competition and not on what she did just in prelims

Thank you Moa88! I am relieved now.
(It is hard for me expressing my feeling in English, while reading what other people are thinking...sigh)

I like both Amelie and Kaetlyn. They look nice person.
After what they did so far this season, both deserved to represent Canada; at Wolrds for Amelie, and Jr. Wolrds Kaetlyn.
My best wishes to them!

Last edited:
I'm always impressed by people posting on here who grew up speaking another language. I can't imagine posting on a French site (the language I studied most intensively) with any kind of articulate expression at all. I wish there had been a forum like this when I was in college and afterward, for me to become more comfortable in French. (I'd have goofed up the accents and subjunctive verbs something awful, though!) You do a great job, deedee1, and actually any of us primary English-speakers is just as likely to misinterpret a post or read it carelessly. I've done it myself. Often!

I agree that it's tough to see a really promising skater coming down the pike when she's needed at the front of the line right now. But I don't know what Canada's options are with Osmond. She may just have to make do with the record she amasses next year in the GP (if she gets any) and that Worlds. Look, that was more than enough for Tara Lipinski and Oksana Baiul, who both won their first senior Worlds in the year preceding the Olympics and then went into the Olympics and took the whole thing. I hope that if Osmond stays good, she gets all the chances she needs to excel in senior competition. It looks as if the time frame is too short this year, though--but I don't know what SkateCanada's rules are.

mskater93

Record Breaker
They already named Lacoste to the World Championship berth and she won it fair and square (beat Osmond at Nationals and beat Phaneuf head to head 3X). I don't think it'd be fair to Lacoste, even if Osmond is a better bet and you can believe that people would remember that she had her Worlds berth taken from her and you can bet people wouldn't let their kids go into competitive skating if they felt they wouldn't get a fair chance or if the rules changed repeatedly.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks again Olympia, to let me feel welcomed!

Yeah it sometimes is easy to misinterpret what other are saying, especially on online boards, without seeing expressions on their faces and tones of voices.

I find this board very 'civilized and peaceful' with such deep knowledges in skating (amaging!). And people like you, Olympia!, are always supportive to various ideas and respectful to each other, trying to find good aspects of things.
That's why I love this forum for years, and decided to go out of my 'lurkdom' recently. Thanks!

Thanks, Deedee. I agree that there are so many knowledgeable people on this site. I'm fascinated by all the details and ideas I learn about here--and not just related to skating. It's an especially stimulating place to visit because there are people from all over the world on GS, with different and enriching interests and perspectives. This is an opportunity that most of us don't get in our everyday lives.

Keep on posting!