Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Amelie Lacoste: Canada's best figure skater looks forward to Sochi

Thanks for joining us, Skater Boy. Welcome to the Forum. Post often, post long!

Custom Title

Amelie Lacoste - going for top ten...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Thanks for joining us, Skater Boy. Welcome to the Forum. Post often, post long!
    Thank you Mathman. I admit these are only my opinions; I am no skating guru. But the people on this forum seem really nice and civil (yay!!!) What I would like to really know about Canada's ladies - will Joannie come back. Seeing her at the Japan Open in this fall and while she was rusty on the bigger jumps she still skates "big", powerful and really her programs appear to be COP friendly - again, that's my opinion when you see the inbetweens - it's not just stroking and wow, she has great power and edge control - I'd say about as good as Carolina Kostner.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I couldn't agree more. If Amelie is the best lady in Canada -

I say, drag Joannie back kicking and screaming or send young Kaetlyn to a labor camp NOW.

(Calm down, I'm just kidding.)

Custom Title
    Yeah, I love Canada (and have been adopted as an honorary Canadian for skating purposes), but even with my rose-colored glasses on, I don't see either Lacoste or Phaneuf as any kind of competition for top world honors. It's too bad, really. But they've got men's singles and ice dance podium placements virtually in the bag, so a ladies' drought shouldn't hurt so much. A good one will come along eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    ...will Joannie come back.
    There has been speculation that Joannie might come back for the team event at Sochi. I think this is a real possibility. It seems unlikely -- but you never know -- that she will be able to come all the way back to her 2010 form, and her chances of winning a medal are slim.

But she still might be "the best in Canada" and could hold down the lady's spot on a strong team anchored by Patrick Chan and Virtue and Moir.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    After seeing her in the Valentine's Day show on TV, it's hard to believe she *couldn't* return to full form. She was in great shape. Oh la la!

Custom Title
    Yeah, chuckm yhou are probably right about the Canadians but Joannie could still be in the top ten maybe 8. The Americans , Japanese and Russians look to dominate. If judging is fair and Rochette skates reasonably she deserves to be ahead of the Finns who some how sneak in there (LOL). With the demise of the ladies in Canada they will probably not have a chance for the team title or for the maple leaf ladies to get on the podium at the Olympics. Right now the favourite looks to be the Americans and Russians which leaves the bronze to either Japan, Italy, France or Canada.

Custom Title
    Hmm Spun Silver that's an interesting observation. I forgot at the Japan Open Joannie beat all the world eligible skaters. She only lost to ET who isn't eligible. Interesting, I wonder if the judges could or would put her above Kostner in skating skills (PCS)? Wasn't she odly enough though no triple triple one of the few skaters who did all the triples - it appears she still practices them as she did them all still - just not as good as 2010.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Hmm Spun Silver that's an interesting observation. I forgot at the Japan Open Joannie beat all the world eligible skaters. She only lost to ET who isn't eligible. Interesting, I wonder if the judges could or would put her above Kostner in skating skills (PCS)? Wasn't she odly enough though no triple triple one of the few skaters who did all the triples - it appears she still practices them as she did them all still - just not as good as 2010.
    Japan Open is not a fair event to compare the skaters' abilities. Joannie and Jeff did very well because they skated their familiar favorite programs while the eligible skaters were trying out their brand new programs for the first time with very little training because of delayed Worlds and JO being pre new season.

Although both Lacoste and Phaneuf have been Canadian Champions, it is quite difficult for me to put the word "best" next to either of those names. They just don't fit.

Custom Title
    I guess that is true about the Japan Open but clearly Joannie is still better than Lacoste and Phaneuf at this point. Still there is some hope for Joannie to be in top ten - not too many ladies can do all the triples other than the axel let alone without an edge call - a little off topic was it my imagination or was the technical judges being generous in the ladies on edge calls at 4C's this year? As much as I was thrilled for Carolyn Zhang and others some of their entrances into the triples looked suspect but again this is coming from me who really doesn't appreciate the nuances of the edges / entrances. I wish I had come from a wealthier family so I could have taken skating lessons - now all I can do is watch and pretend or :(

Custom Title
    Oh, yeah that tech panel was HUGELY generous.

Custom Title
    Yes, tech panel might be a bit generous for the reigning Olympic bronze medalist.
    But considering she did not compete at all the previous season (2010-11), I think Joannie staked pretty decent at JO, did not she?

Joannie simply can not compete at Nice this March, and looking how Amelie and Cynthia skated throughout this season, it means we probably have to settle with a spot again for next Worlds in Canada. In this regard, I hope the Federation does not pressure out Amelie too much.

Anyway, Amelie rightfully earned her spot at Worlds this year.
    I do not want see her to skate in tense, and see her sad face afterward; like she did at the recent Nats and 4CC.

I hope she will enjoy the moment to be there, representing her country as the National Champion, go all out and have two brilliant skates that she can be proud of, or she can get satisfied with at least.

Go Girl!

if amelie thinks she has a shot at the next olympics, she REALLY has her work cut out for her.

Banned
    Several points.

1. There is some MAJOR overrating of Phaneuf in this thread. First off the girl cant medal at the World level even at her best. Hello she did skate her absolute best at the 2010 Worlds, which was one of the worst skated ever, and still did not medal, while 3 triple Lepisto did.

Furthermore at 4CCs she actually beat LaCoste on TES yet lost to her on PCS. If their PCS were she same she would have beaten LaCoste and gone to Worlds over her. This indicates that international judges increasingly are seeing her as a has been. A comeback will not be easy, and while it is possible for her to surpass LaCoste again, she is not still the best Canadian skater who just happens to be screwing up. Even when both are making mistakes LaCoste is beating her.

2. LaCoste cannot be compared to Rochette at this point in the quad. Rochette was 5th at the 2008 Worlds, and had a medal in her grasp if she simply had skated to her potential. I highly doubt LaCoste will even be top 10 at Worlds this year, and she definitely isnt a medal threat as Joannie already was by the time of the 2008 Worlds. Not to mention their skating quality and technical difficulty are miles apart.

3. If Joannie did come back I dont see why as things are she wouldnt be competitive. Miki Ando won Worlds last year with a mediocre program, and a lutzless Kostner is favored to win this year. Now that could change when everyone becomes age eligible and makes the push to Sochi over the next couple years, but as it is Rochette could definitely come back and be in medal contention.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast