Amelie Lacoste: Canada's best figure skater looks forward to Sochi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Amelie Lacoste: Canada's best figure skater looks forward to Sochi

After seeing her in the Valentine's Day show on TV, it's hard to believe she *couldn't* return to full form. She was in great shape. Oh la la!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yeah, chuckm yhou are probably right about the Canadians but Joannie could still be in the top ten maybe 8. The Americans , Japanese and Russians look to dominate. If judging is fair and Rochette skates reasonably she deserves to be ahead of the Finns who some how sneak in there (LOL). With the demise of the ladies in Canada they will probably not have a chance for the team title or for the maple leaf ladies to get on the podium at the Olympics. Right now the favourite looks to be the Americans and Russians which leaves the bronze to either Japan, Italy, France or Canada.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmm Spun Silver that's an interesting observation. I forgot at the Japan Open Joannie beat all the world eligible skaters. She only lost to ET who isn't eligible. Interesting, I wonder if the judges could or would put her above Kostner in skating skills (PCS)? Wasn't she odly enough though no triple triple one of the few skaters who did all the triples - it appears she still practices them as she did them all still - just not as good as 2010.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hmm Spun Silver that's an interesting observation. I forgot at the Japan Open Joannie beat all the world eligible skaters. She only lost to ET who isn't eligible. Interesting, I wonder if the judges could or would put her above Kostner in skating skills (PCS)? Wasn't she odly enough though no triple triple one of the few skaters who did all the triples - it appears she still practices them as she did them all still - just not as good as 2010.

Japan Open is not a fair event to compare the skaters' abilities. Joannie and Jeff did very well because they skated their familiar favorite programs while the eligible skaters were trying out their brand new programs for the first time with very little training because of delayed Worlds and JO being pre new season.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Although both Lacoste and Phaneuf have been Canadian Champions, it is quite difficult for me to put the word "best" next to either of those names. They just don't fit.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I guess that is true about the Japan Open but clearly Joannie is still better than Lacoste and Phaneuf at this point. Still there is some hope for Joannie to be in top ten - not too many ladies can do all the triples other than the axel let alone without an edge call - a little off topic was it my imagination or was the technical judges being generous in the ladies on edge calls at 4C's this year? As much as I was thrilled for Carolyn Zhang and others some of their entrances into the triples looked suspect but again this is coming from me who really doesn't appreciate the nuances of the edges / entrances. I wish I had come from a wealthier family so I could have taken skating lessons - now all I can do is watch and pretend:) or :(

deedee1

Record Breaker
Yes, tech panel might be a bit generous for the reigning Olympic bronze medalist.
But considering she did not compete at all the previous season (2010-11), I think Joannie staked pretty decent at JO, did not she?

Joannie simply can not compete at Nice this March, and looking how Amelie and Cynthia skated throughout this season, it means we probably have to settle with a spot again for next Worlds in Canada. In this regard, I hope the Federation does not pressure out Amelie too much.

Anyway, Amelie rightfully earned her spot at Worlds this year.
I do not want see her to skate in tense, and see her sad face afterward; like she did at the recent Nats and 4CC.

I hope she will enjoy the moment to be there, representing her country as the National Champion, go all out and have two brilliant skates that she can be proud of, or she can get satisfied with at least.

Go Girl!

macy

Record Breaker
if amelie thinks she has a shot at the next olympics, she REALLY has her work cut out for her.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Several points.

1. There is some MAJOR overrating of Phaneuf in this thread. First off the girl cant medal at the World level even at her best. Hello she did skate her absolute best at the 2010 Worlds, which was one of the worst skated ever, and still did not medal, while 3 triple Lepisto did.

Furthermore at 4CCs she actually beat LaCoste on TES yet lost to her on PCS. If their PCS were she same she would have beaten LaCoste and gone to Worlds over her. This indicates that international judges increasingly are seeing her as a has been. A comeback will not be easy, and while it is possible for her to surpass LaCoste again, she is not still the best Canadian skater who just happens to be screwing up. Even when both are making mistakes LaCoste is beating her.

2. LaCoste cannot be compared to Rochette at this point in the quad. Rochette was 5th at the 2008 Worlds, and had a medal in her grasp if she simply had skated to her potential. I highly doubt LaCoste will even be top 10 at Worlds this year, and she definitely isnt a medal threat as Joannie already was by the time of the 2008 Worlds. Not to mention their skating quality and technical difficulty are miles apart.

3. If Joannie did come back I dont see why as things are she wouldnt be competitive. Miki Ando won Worlds last year with a mediocre program, and a lutzless Kostner is favored to win this year. Now that could change when everyone becomes age eligible and makes the push to Sochi over the next couple years, but as it is Rochette could definitely come back and be in medal contention.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Give Amelie some break, pangtongfan, please?

Yes, it seems almost impossible for her, even at her best, to be in top10 at Worlds. Or both Cynthia and Amelie may not be good enough for your standard.

But how many of all skaters in the world can actually reach their ultimate goals they once dreamed of as little kids when started skating; such as winning a big title like OGM/Worlds, getting on a podium, or even getting participated in the Nationals? Very few.

Besides, I believe an athlete does not necessarily have to achieve the same goal, or succeed to the same dgree as his/her countryman's. They do not train hard day in and day out for the fans' or federation's expectation. They do it for their own sake, not anybody else's.

I have said a little harsh on you, my apologies, but honestly I would appreciate if you have some more respect to these athletes; whatever the levels are they compete at, or whether you like him/her or not.

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
I wouldn't agree that Lacoste is "firmly" a better skater than Phaneuf. Yes, Lacoste beat Phaneuf several times this year, but IIRC, it's never been by much. I think either would be fortunate to make the top ten at worlds. Lacoste has not proven to be a strong competitor, but she earned the world's spot fairly. Let's hope for Canada's sake that she has a great skate next month!

Sally1214

Spectator
I have NO expectations of Lacoste making the top 10 at Worlds or Olympics. But I have exactly the same feelings regarding Phaneuf. Ladies' skating is in a MAJOR slump in Canada right now. Having said that .... I'm glad Lacoste is going to Worlds ... she won Nats. and placed aheadof Phaneuf at 4CC, so she deserves to go. Nuff said.

ice_mommy

Spectator
I totally agree Mao88. If you consider how close the scores were both at Canadians and 4 Continents, and this with Cynthia not at her best, I think it's clear that should Cynthia get back to her old self Amalie will not likely beat her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rochette might be a medal contender at Sochi----IF she returned to competition next season and did the GP, Nationals and Worlds in the pre-Olympic season. But she has already said in an interview that she will not return to competition next season, and the Olympic season is still only a maybe. I don't think she can be competitive after having been away from competition for three full seasons. We saw what happened with Sasha Cohen, who postponed her return until the 11th hour and injured herself in an effort to do too much too soon.

feraina

Record Breaker
I don't know why, but Amelie is a fundamental favorite. I think she was close to quitting a few years ago, and yet in the last couple of years she has really improved. The difference between Cynthia and Amelie, is that Cynthia has been on a downward trajectory the last couple of years, while Amelie has been on an upward trajectory. I feel that Amelie's peak is still to come, while it's not clear whether Cynthia can return to her former peak, never mind exceeding that.

ice_mommy

Spectator
Feraina, we have yet to see how Amalie fares under the pressure of Worlds. I wouldn't write Cynthia off yet.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'm just gonna point out that Osmond's qualifying free at junior Worlds (with one less element) outpointed Phaneuf and LaCoste at 4CC. Just sayin'

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm just gonna point out that Osmond's qualifying free at junior Worlds (with one less element) outpointed Phaneuf and LaCoste at 4CC. Just sayin'

Osmond may be strong technically and mentally, but comparing her qualifying skate to 4CC performances of Phaneuf and Lacoste is inappropriate and unfair. The two Senior Ladies were competing under extreme pressure in high altitude, hardly a situation conducive to high performance.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Maybe. How about this: both LaCoste and Phaneuf had three international skates this season. Osmond's score outpoints both of them in any of their skates.