Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Amelie Lacoste: Canada's best figure skater looks forward to Sochi

Custom Title
    Give Amelie some break, pangtongfan, please?

Yes, it seems almost impossible for her, even at her best, to be in top10 at Worlds. Or both Cynthia and Amelie may not be good enough for your standard.

But how many of all skaters in the world can actually reach their ultimate goals they once dreamed of as little kids when started skating; such as winning a big title like OGM/Worlds, getting on a podium, or even getting participated in the Nationals? Very few.

Besides, I believe an athlete does not necessarily have to achieve the same goal, or succeed to the same dgree as his/her countryman's. They do not train hard day in and day out for the fans' or federation's expectation. They do it for their own sake, not anybody else's.

I have said a little harsh on you, my apologies, but honestly I would appreciate if you have some more respect to these athletes; whatever the levels are they compete at, or whether you like him/her or not.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't agree that Lacoste is "firmly" a better skater than Phaneuf. Yes, Lacoste beat Phaneuf several times this year, but IIRC, it's never been by much. I think either would be fortunate to make the top ten at worlds. Lacoste has not proven to be a strong competitor, but she earned the world's spot fairly. Let's hope for Canada's sake that she has a great skate next month!

Custom Title
    I have NO expectations of Lacoste making the top 10 at Worlds or Olympics. But I have exactly the same feelings regarding Phaneuf. Ladies' skating is in a MAJOR slump in Canada right now. Having said that .... I'm glad Lacoste is going to Worlds ... she won Nats. and placed aheadof Phaneuf at 4CC, so she deserves to go. Nuff said.

Rinkside
    I totally agree Mao88. If you consider how close the scores were both at Canadians and 4 Continents, and this with Cynthia not at her best, I think it's clear that should Cynthia get back to her old self Amalie will not likely beat her.

Custom Title
    Rochette might be a medal contender at Sochi----IF she returned to competition next season and did the GP, Nationals and Worlds in the pre-Olympic season. But she has already said in an interview that she will not return to competition next season, and the Olympic season is still only a maybe. I don't think she can be competitive after having been away from competition for three full seasons. We saw what happened with Sasha Cohen, who postponed her return until the 11th hour and injured herself in an effort to do too much too soon.

I don't know why, but Amelie is a fundamental favorite. I think she was close to quitting a few years ago, and yet in the last couple of years she has really improved. The difference between Cynthia and Amelie, is that Cynthia has been on a downward trajectory the last couple of years, while Amelie has been on an upward trajectory. I feel that Amelie's peak is still to come, while it's not clear whether Cynthia can return to her former peak, never mind exceeding that.

Rinkside
    Feraina, we have yet to see how Amalie fares under the pressure of Worlds. I wouldn't write Cynthia off yet.

Custom Title
    I'm just gonna point out that Osmond's qualifying free at junior Worlds (with one less element) outpointed Phaneuf and LaCoste at 4CC. Just sayin'

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I'm just gonna point out that Osmond's qualifying free at junior Worlds (with one less element) outpointed Phaneuf and LaCoste at 4CC. Just sayin'
    Osmond may be strong technically and mentally, but comparing her qualifying skate to 4CC performances of Phaneuf and Lacoste is inappropriate and unfair. The two Senior Ladies were competing under extreme pressure in high altitude, hardly a situation conducive to high performance.

Custom Title
    Maybe. How about this: both LaCoste and Phaneuf had three international skates this season. Osmond's score outpoints both of them in any of their skates.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Maybe. How about this: both LaCoste and Phaneuf had three international skates this season. Osmond's score outpoints both of them in any of their skates.
    Now you are talking!

Osmond really is a gem and the future of Canadian Ladies. She is technically very strong, full of personality, and has no nerves but loves to perform. Most Canadian Ladies have lacked mental toughness for important competitions. Josee Chouinard never achieved her potential competitively despite being a favorite of judges. Cynthia Phaneuf is largely inconsistent. Hopefully further tutelage from Orser will change that.

Custom Title
    I haven't seen Osmond yet but have a very good feeling about her from what I've heard here. You say she has mental toughness? That would be great to see. What are her other strengths?

Rinkside
    Right now her strengths are her technical abilities and mental strength. Her weakness is all that is included in the component marks. They seem to mark differently in Juniors as opposed to Seniors.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I haven't seen Osmond yet but have a very good feeling about her from what I've heard here. You say she has mental toughness? That would be great to see. What are her other strengths?
    She trains in one of the largest malls in the world with live audiences everyday. So performing in competitions doesn't faze her at all. She loves it. I believe she did a triple/triple combo at the Canadian Nationals and won the SP. She still needs maturity and sophistication, sort of like last year's Kanako Murakami of Japan in a way.

Custom Title
    Thanks, SF. By the way, I notice that many of the top ladies' skaters in Canada (recently, at any rate) are French Canadian: Chouinard, Lacoste, Rochette, Phaneuf, and in other disciplines I remember Brasseur and the Duchesnays, who began in Canada, and one of my favorite ice dance teams, Dubreuil and Lauzon. Is Quebec specifically a center for skating?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast