Amelie Lacoste: Canada's best figure skater looks forward to Sochi | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Amelie Lacoste: Canada's best figure skater looks forward to Sochi

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting this skate of Kate! I enjoyed it very much. I must say I am not currently a Phaneuf fan (though I was when she was younger) nor of Amelie, thouugh that could change. I was a J Ro fan from the first skate I saw and think she is the best lady Canada has produced and it will be very hard to replace her. I wish we could have seen her olympic skates with her mom there. She was incredible anyway. I loved her skating, and have to go back to Josee to name a lady I liked a lot, who was not a good competitor. But she was a lovely skater. I wish she got to do her 94 skate when she was supposed to at Olympics. It is nice she was featured in shows, so I enjoyed the pro Josee. I really don't expect to see Joannie back, but I hope I am wrong on this.

How old is Kate? Who does she coach with, etc? I am not good at counting jumps, tallying points, but she seems to skate with elegance and polish. I can see she needs to improve her basic skating skills, her edges and thus improve speed. It was nice to see a falling leaf.

Seriously, with a list of great canadian men, it does seem like ladies in Canada would have produced more champions. It is odd. But I guess one country can't have it all.

lcd

Match Penalty
It IS strange to me, especially given the resources that were brought to the effort ahead of the Vancouver Olympics, that there is such a limited stable of top ladies skaters. Canada seems to excel at developing champions in all of the other disciplines. Canadian fans seem more willing and able than most (certainly the US) to also embrace non ladies skaters as celebrated champions (US is so ladies-skewed centric, it is discouraging). And still... not a huge crop of world beaters on the ladies' front. Never quite understood it.

SGrand

Final Flight
Thanks for posting this skate of Kate! I enjoyed it very much. I must say I am not currently a Phaneuf fan (though I was when she was younger) nor of Amelie, thouugh that could change. I was a J Ro fan from the first skate I saw and think she is the best lady Canada has produced and it will be very hard to replace her. I wish we could have seen her olympic skates with her mom there. She was incredible anyway. I loved her skating, and have to go back to Josee to name a lady I liked a lot, who was not a good competitor. But she was a lovely skater. I wish she got to do her 94 skate when she was supposed to at Olympics. It is nice she was featured in shows, so I enjoyed the pro Josee. I really don't expect to see Joannie back, but I hope I am wrong on this.

How old is Kate? Who does she coach with, etc? I am not good at counting jumps, tallying points, but she seems to skate with elegance and polish. I can see she needs to improve her basic skating skills, her edges and thus improve speed. It was nice to see a falling leaf.

Seriously, with a list of great canadian men, it does seem like ladies in Canada would have produced more champions. It is odd. But I guess one country can't have it all.

I think she's 16 and trains at the West Edmonton Mall and is coached by Ravi Wallia. She's got the performance and jumping ability, now she just needs refinement and good lines and strength and stamina. I loved what I saw during our nationals here, she was a joy to watch.