Back Stay/Dance Back Stay on custom boots | Golden Skate

Back Stay/Dance Back Stay on custom boots

mdmiller

Rinkside
Hi there - was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I am in the process of ordering some custom Harlicks again and am interested in getting a low-cut back stay (1/2" inch) at the back of the boot. I've been skating for well over 25 years and can still do most of my double jumps. These days I concentrate more on the field moves, footwork, etc. but still like to keep my double jumps up and spinning. As I've never had this option before, I thought they may help my toe point (the whole idea) but will they affect my jumping and ankle support in general. If anyone is familiar with Harlick, I am going with Duo Bond Three Layer construction, I can't bear breaking in Double Duo Bond anymore!

Should I cancel this low-cut back stay or perhaps get the "BB" backstay (I don't know what this is). Any advice of help will be greatly appreciated! I just don't want to lose ankle support but would love some more toe point. Harlick have recommended the 1/2" back-stay, but I just want to get some advice from anyone who's had it? Thanks!!

eli

Spectator
Hi there - was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I am in the process of ordering some custom Harlicks again and am interested in getting a low-cut back stay (1/2" inch) at the back of the boot. I've been skating for well over 25 years and can still do most of my double jumps. These days I concentrate more on the field moves, footwork, etc. but still like to keep my double jumps up and spinning. As I've never had this option before, I thought they may help my toe point (the whole idea) but will they affect my jumping and ankle support in general. If anyone is familiar with Harlick, I am going with Duo Bond Three Layer construction, I can't bear breaking in Double Duo Bond anymore!

Should I cancel this low-cut back stay or perhaps get the "BB" backstay (I don't know what this is). Any advice of help will be greatly appreciated! I just don't want to lose ankle support but would love some more toe point. Harlick have recommended the 1/2" back-stay, but I just want to get some advice from anyone who's had it? Thanks!!

I had my first pair of custom Harlick boots about 16 months ago and absolutely love them! I went for the low-cut backstay AND had my boot cut the lowest ever....I thought it was a huge mistake when I first put them on but after adjusting to them, I love them! I can point my toes which I've never been able to do before, thus, extra extension when I'm taking off for jumps! I started doing dance too and these are great for getting fab extension! Everyone has noticed my toe point....even in spins! I must admit, it did take some getting use to but I believe it was because I had the whole boot cut lower, not just the low-cut backstay! I too went with the Duo Bond, Three Layer construction and do up to double loops....Hope this helps!

mdmiller

Rinkside
Fantastic help, thank you! I am just worried about losing ankle support. I am only having 1/2" inch taken off at the back only (unlike you having the whole boot cut lower) and was just worried this may change everything after all these years?!

If you say after a bit of getting used to you're still able to do your jumps and spins and with toe point - it seems to be a no brainer. And as I say I'm only having 1/2" off the back, it shouldn't cause too much adjustment then, other than the usual break-in period of having new boots!

Thanks a lot!

eli

Spectator
Fantastic help, thank you! I am just worried about losing ankle support. I am only having 1/2" inch taken off at the back only (unlike you having the whole boot cut lower) and was just worried this may change everything after all these years?!

If you say after a bit of getting used to you're still able to do your jumps and spins and with toe point - it seems to be a no brainer. And as I say I'm only having 1/2" off the back, it shouldn't cause too much adjustment then, other than the usual break-in period of having new boots!

Thanks a lot!

No worries! I know I was not sure how mine would turn out and kept trying to find people who had gone with the different options too. Just having the 1/2" off the back, you should adjust fairly quickly. I went from a very, very high cut of another brand of boot to very, very low cut PLUS the low-cut back. My previous boots were so high on my short leg that it was as if I was in a cast - no flexion or extension, my foot barely moved at all, thus, I went for a lot lower boot height! Oh, I also went back to a previous boot's heel height too, so that meant the heel was lower than the boot I was currently in (2 1/2" down to 1 3/4")-- it was very, very different with the heel and the low cut boot! But I did adjust and my jumps are better than they were before! Anymore questions, let me know!! Also, please let me know how you get on once you get your new boots!

mdmiller

Rinkside
Thanks again for the reassurance and advice - really looking forward to trying them out now! Will let you know how it goes!!