Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alaska's Last Great Race

Alaska's Last Great Race

We're down to just over 7 days until it's my favorite time of year again. To save Golden Skate from being inundated with the vitrol and misinformation of spammers that hit my posts every year, I just wanted to let you know that you can follow the race on my blog (or better yet their official website, which I will link shortly on my blog, so that, again this post doesn't get hit with stupidity causing mods non-skating headaches LOL). I have updated with lists of the teams to watch - broken up by gender just because it was too big to post all together. I will try to blog as much as possible during the 2 weeks it should be going on... so long as it doesn't interfere with my job (still waiting for word back on my taking the offer. I know this is busy crunch time, but they waited to the last minute not me lol).

blog address: http://tonichelle.blogspot.com - you don't have to sign up or sign in to comment, and I hope you do participate and give feedback!

heading out tonight to catch the action this weekend. blogging will end until Sunday evening (late) will try to tweet and facebook but can't be sure how much time I'll have...

I D I T A R O D is here!

Custom Title
    Hooray! Have fun, Toni, and tell us all about it afterward.

I will, but on my blog...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I will, but on my blog...
    I'm reading your blog right now. I'm singing along with the refrain of "North to Alaska." Stay warm, Toni!

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/anim...ves-fallen-dog

Man performed CPR to save one of his dogs. Great story!

Scott's great!

Custom Title
    I'm looking forward to seeing you back on GS, but meanwhile, I'm enjoying reading your FAQ about the history. I knew about Seppala and Togo, because we wrote about them for an educational project. It's great to know that it's Togo who's the mascot for the race, though of course Balto is a wonderful story as well. (I've seen the statue of Balto in New York, and it's quite impressive.) One thing that always amazes me about the story (besides the terrain and the temperature, of course) is the fact that in January, when the original run took place, it would have been night most of the time the dogs and mushers were on the trail. A heartstopping thought. Yet no lives were lost in the race, man or dog, isn't that correct? You folk up there must be made of different materials from us pantywaists down in the Lower Forty-Eight.

You write wonderfully, by the way: your prose is very clear and vivid, yet sinewy. You're going to be such a star in your new job. Remember to link us so we can follow your exploits and those of your mushing family and their team(s).
    Last edited by Olympia; 03-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.

If dogs died during that serum relay run, I don't think it was recorded. Dog teams still typically run at night. The cooler temps are better for them. If the mushers get too tired or cold they run alongside or behind the sled... or they ski-pole Dallas Seavey does this quite a bit, and he's in first place with just about two days before the finish.

Custom Title
    Cooler temps? You mean, cooler than zero Fahrenheit? Cooler than forty below? Whatever your answer is, I'm agog. What amazing dogs and humans.

Go, Dallas Seavey!

The dogs like to run between -10* and about 5 above Fahrenheit. For the dogs above teh arctic circle or west coast, they like it even colder... like -20

DALLAS WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for him!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    And I'm so happy for you, Toni!

Custom Title
    I just read about Dallas Seavey. Yippee! A wonderful turn of events. I'm thrilled for you, Toni.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Wow! What a way to start a job. Keep it up! Congratulations to your whole gang, Toni!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast