Oscar predictions? | Golden Skate

Oscar predictions?

I hope Hugo wins something; it's delightful, and beautifully made. I haven't seen The Artist yet. I get the sense that Viola Davis will win for The Help, which I also haven't seen but am eager to watch. I've seen Davis in other things, and she's wonderful, but I have (unrealistic) hopes that Glenn Close will win, because this woman is long past due. I don't think she's ever given a bad performance. She has the versatility of Meryl Streep. She's done movies, theater (won two Tony Awards, both for musicals), and TV. The great thing about Close is that like Streep she won't "age out" of a substantial career. (They're about the same age, past sixty at this point.) Her status in films doesn't seem to depend on her being young and flawlessly pretty. So if she doesn't win this year, she has potential for future years.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Glenn CLose made a comment recently joking that people confuse her with Meryl Streep, cause they have same physique so thats probably why she never won one, i think it is her 6th time that she is nominated?
Streep made a great effort playing Thatcher and Oscars tend to go to people who transform and play that kind of roles, so i guess she will win it, how many she has won already?
Olympia you should defenitely see Artist, and if you can in a cinema, not dvd, it is maybe one of the best movies I ve seen.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Hmmm, I think Meryl has been nominated 17 times with two wins. I think it should be between Streep and Glenn Close. I think they are the best American actresses. Meryl is incredible mimic as she said, and she is wearing a gold gown, like in her first or second win. I love Streep. Ingenue to aging naturally. My other favorite ladies are Brits. I love helen Mirren, Cate Blanchett, Kristen Scott Thomas, Kate Winslow and Kate Nelligan a great stage actress I saw in "Plenty in London 30 years ago. She should have had a huge stage career. In business full of women who could "act" but were really there as window dressing, Meryl and Glenn can sing, act, dance, transform. I am jealous to see how beautiful Streep still is. Angelina is a barbie with fake boobs who "acts" but is symbolic of all that is bizarre about these Hollywood bornand bred people.

Viola is good in her part, but I think Meryl as Thatcher is the type of role they try to award. I will see Hugo and The Artist since you all like it so much. I can't watch a horse suffer tho.

The awards are on and Crystal was a disappointment. He is usually funny and takes no prisoners. I'd rather see Ricky Gervai being sarcastically funny than this lionizing. Well, the dresses are good so far. Doubt if I'll watch much more.

Good books? Celebrity bios for lightness keep me distracted. Patti Lupone's Memoir is really good if you love her and Broadway musicals. And Keith Richard's 'Life" was on sale. Not a huge Stones fan (well, of the music but not the r&r lifestyle) I picked it up. It is surprisingly engaging. He is different than I thought. Two good celeb autobios. I'm waiting for Mc Cartney to write his and Meryl to write hers.

Oh, Ms Spencer I think just won best supporting actress for the movie "The Help." I do not think Viola will stand a chance. It is rare they give best actress/supporting actress to same movie, if it has happened at all. I see so few movies in recent years. They just don't make what I want to see. Lucky if I find 4-5 I year i like enough. Picky Picky, LOL.

Last edited:
Seniorita, I hope to get the chance to take your advice and watch The Artist. As it happens, I'm a huge silent movie fan. One of my few celebrity encounters: as a kid, I met Lillian Gish.

Skateluvr, I have to disagree with you on one small point: I think Billy Crystal is very funny this evening. In fact, I foolishly took a sip of water just as he made a joke, and I had to spit it out, because I started laughing and would have choked on it. I thought his song about the film nominees was a hoot. The moment when he "mind-read" what the various celebs (and that dog) were thinking was hysterical. Of course, there's nothing more subjective than humor, so I understand that you don't agree with me.

I totally agree with you about Streep and Close. They may have no rivals among American women, and I'm so glad to see them continuing to get lead roles. I do hope Close gets her Oscar one day...tonight would be good!

I'd love to read Paul McCartney's memoirs, too, but you know, he's polite and guarded enough that he might turn out to be like Fred Astaire, so reluctant to reveal either his or other people's feelings that he says very little. I'm not holding my breath. We can always listen to his songs if we want to hear the workings of his mind.

I think Meryl Streep might be a bit more forthcoming, because she sounds as if she might be a good storyteller, and she could tell what it was like on various sets. There are ways to be open and honest without telling too much or badmouthing anyone.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I am in love with Billy Crystal. I find him to be classy for a classy night.

Yay! The Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore won best animated short and The Shore won best live action short. Both excellent..

and it's Streep! Yay!

I was happy about The Flying Books too, Mathman. William Joyce is a wonderful book illustrator as well as a filmmaker. His latest picture book about the Guardians is gorgeous.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I love Billy Crystal too, happy he is back again!
I havent seen the movie that won the Supporting Actress award, but our commentators said very good things. I havent seen Iron Lady yet too. This week I ll see Hugo, I m looking forward to it.

I was shocked to hear Christopher Plummer is 82, but he has aged very well and his speech was funny!

Hmmm, I think Meryl has been nominated 17 times with two wins. I think it should be between Streep and Glenn Close. I think they are the best American actresses...
No I said Glen Close is nominated 6 times so far and havent won.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
really bummed for Viola. I haven't seen Streep's film yet, but Viola really committed to and told a wonderful story with her character... at least Octavia brought an Oscar home for The Help.

I'm not bummed in the sense that I thought the best actress list was very strong, with little to choose between them (including Close, Streep, and Williams). It would have been nice if Davis had won, of course. I haven't seen The Help, but I hear that it's great and look forward to seeing it. As a consolation, though, I'll point out that Davis is such a sterling actress that she'll almost definitely be nominated again and will probably win at least once in her career. She's amazing and will be given roles worthy of her talent. She's not a fluke who got carried along in the fervor for her movie...she's the Real Thing. What an eloquent and expressive face she has! (And I loved her emerald-green dress, by the way. It was one of my favorites, along with Jessica Chastain's brocade number and Gwyneth Paltrow's long graceful column with the cape.)

Seniorita, please report in with your opinions of Hugo when you go!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
really bummed for Viola. I haven't seen Streep's film yet, but Viola really committed to and told a wonderful story with her character... at least Octavia brought an Oscar home for The Help.

I am very disappointed that Viola Davis didn't win and I'll go out on a limb here and say that the classy Ms. Streep was annoyed as well. I think she was rooting for Viola as well.

I enjoyed Billy C. very much. I thought he did a super job. I loved the beginning of the show before he was introduced and then introduced.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not bummed in the sense that I thought the best actress list was very strong, with little to choose between them (including Close, Streep, and Williams). It would have been nice if Davis had won, of course. I haven't seen The Help, but I hear that it's great and look forward to seeing it. As a consolation, though, I'll point out that Davis is such a sterling actress that she'll almost definitely be nominated again and will probably win at least once in her career. She's amazing and will be given roles worthy of her talent. She's not a fluke who got carried along in the fervor for her movie...she's the Real Thing. What an eloquent and expressive face she has! (And I loved her emerald-green dress, by the way. It was one of my favorites, along with Jessica Chastain's brocade number and Gwyneth Paltrow's long graceful column with the cape.)

Meh, I have a feeling she's going to be the female Morgan Freeman... her Oscar will be longtime coming and for a lesser role than the previous roles she's nominated for.

Johar

Medalist
Was hoping War Horse would win for something and was wanting The Help to win more.

Dee, you're right! Good thinking. It isn't just the cape, it's the very sleek profile of the skirt--no ruffles or ruching, no excess volume. These days a lot of dresses have fussy detail (which works on some of them, don't get me wrong), so a minimalist dress stands out.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Wasn't Jackie lovely. No one looked like her. In the old days, every actress was distinctive. Judy Garland looked like no one else. Ava Gardner, an original, Crawford was striking but not a classic beauty. There was one Grace Kelly. Bette Davis had a stellar career and didn't alter her features. I think the acting is much better today, as Streep said, but all the cookie cutter women in Hollywood who have ruined their faces to try to stay young should see who gets nominated and wins. It is the originals like Streep and Close who keep working. I love Viola Davis, and thought she looked stunning. I had no idea she had a body like that. Gwen is a stick and can wear anything. She always gets great dresses. I loved her back in the day when she won her oscar. I still remember her fairy princess pink gown.

My favorite gowns I saw were on Cameron Diaz and I liked Jessica Chastain's too. I like Jolie's gown but found her in your face posing annoying. I don't know if her directorial debut was in 2011 0r 2012. I want to see the movie "In the Land of Blood and Honey" only because I was in Croatia when the war officially began. The airport was like out of a movie, and I am interested to see it as the story sounds good, despite the controversy. I hope Angelina is a better director than actress. She is so one note. I do like to see her kids tho. I 'm happy 3 kids have a life-she really did save them, so there is a good heart there I guess. Brad seems like a good Dad. Well, so much for Hollywood's big day.

Last night on TCM, a cable movie channel that is one of my few splurges, they showed Lawrence of Arabia. What an amazing work of art that movie is. If Peter O'Toole hadn't had the misfortune to be up against Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird, surely he'd have won the Oscar for that. Think of the 26-year-old actors of today and ask yourself which one of them could have carried a picture of that magnitude. But it wasn't just O'Toole's performance. It was the pacing of the movie--rapid and intense sometimes, and sometimes languid and silent, as the infinite desert took over the movie. The choice of which episodes of Lawrence's life to show was also masterful. You never feel that this is a filmed sequence of Great Moments like so many biographical pictures. Instead, it's a tight narrative. The supporting cast is astonishing, filled with many great actors (I think not a single speaking role played by a woman, but that's excusable considering the setting) from all eras of cinematic history: from Claude Rains of the golden age through all those postwar British theater stalwarts, Alec Guinness and Jack Hawkins and so on, to one of the brightest young stars of the sixties, O'Toole. These days the casting would have been very different, of course: Brits and Americans might not have played the Arabs. But the choices were valid for the era, considering that the film needed some known actors to sell itself.

There was one Middle Eastern actor, and he was simply titanic: Omar Sharif. This guy simply swallowed the screen whenever he was on. Fierce, aristocratic, contentious, loyal; what a presence. The first time I ever saw Sharif was in a film he made later, as the mild, contemplative Dr. Zhivago. This did not prepare me for Lawrence of Arabia (Sharif's first English-language film). I was knocked backward by his electricity. Just his posture--the straight-backed danseur-noble carriage we hope for in our best skaters. Shikharulidze stood like that. Sharif managed to be almost but not quite theatrical in his evocation of a desert nobleman. Gorgeous, and didn't he know it.

I'm fascinated by screen biography. It's so tough to do well. I'm avid to see Meryl Streep as Thatcher for that reason, both to see her performance and to watch how the filmmakers shape the story. But this movie will always remain one of the giants of the genre (though we could think of it as a historical epic rather than as a biography, Lawrence's personality is at the center of it). Has anyone else seen it lately? What are your thoughts on it?