Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Oscar predictions?

Was hoping War Horse would win for something and was wanting The Help to win more.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Gwyneth Paltrow's long graceful column with the cape.
    Gwyneth's outfit reminded me of Jacqueline Kennedy innaugural ball gown.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...10_306x691.jpg

Custom Title
    Dee, you're right! Good thinking. It isn't just the cape, it's the very sleek profile of the skirt--no ruffles or ruching, no excess volume. These days a lot of dresses have fussy detail (which works on some of them, don't get me wrong), so a minimalist dress stands out.

Wasn't Jackie lovely. No one looked like her. In the old days, every actress was distinctive. Judy Garland looked like no one else. Ava Gardner, an original, Crawford was striking but not a classic beauty. There was one Grace Kelly. Bette Davis had a stellar career and didn't alter her features. I think the acting is much better today, as Streep said, but all the cookie cutter women in Hollywood who have ruined their faces to try to stay young should see who gets nominated and wins. It is the originals like Streep and Close who keep working. I love Viola Davis, and thought she looked stunning. I had no idea she had a body like that. Gwen is a stick and can wear anything. She always gets great dresses. I loved her back in the day when she won her oscar. I still remember her fairy princess pink gown.

My favorite gowns I saw were on Cameron Diaz and I liked Jessica Chastain's too. I like Jolie's gown but found her in your face posing annoying. I don't know if her directorial debut was in 2011 0r 2012. I want to see the movie "In the Land of Blood and Honey" only because I was in Croatia when the war officially began. The airport was like out of a movie, and I am interested to see it as the story sounds good, despite the controversy. I hope Angelina is a better director than actress. She is so one note. I do like to see her kids tho. I 'm happy 3 kids have a life-she really did save them, so there is a good heart there I guess. Brad seems like a good Dad. Well, so much for Hollywood's big day.

Custom Title
    Last night on TCM, a cable movie channel that is one of my few splurges, they showed Lawrence of Arabia. What an amazing work of art that movie is. If Peter O'Toole hadn't had the misfortune to be up against Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird, surely he'd have won the Oscar for that. Think of the 26-year-old actors of today and ask yourself which one of them could have carried a picture of that magnitude. But it wasn't just O'Toole's performance. It was the pacing of the movie--rapid and intense sometimes, and sometimes languid and silent, as the infinite desert took over the movie. The choice of which episodes of Lawrence's life to show was also masterful. You never feel that this is a filmed sequence of Great Moments like so many biographical pictures. Instead, it's a tight narrative. The supporting cast is astonishing, filled with many great actors (I think not a single speaking role played by a woman, but that's excusable considering the setting) from all eras of cinematic history: from Claude Rains of the golden age through all those postwar British theater stalwarts, Alec Guinness and Jack Hawkins and so on, to one of the brightest young stars of the sixties, O'Toole. These days the casting would have been very different, of course: Brits and Americans might not have played the Arabs. But the choices were valid for the era, considering that the film needed some known actors to sell itself.

There was one Middle Eastern actor, and he was simply titanic: Omar Sharif. This guy simply swallowed the screen whenever he was on. Fierce, aristocratic, contentious, loyal; what a presence. The first time I ever saw Sharif was in a film he made later, as the mild, contemplative Dr. Zhivago. This did not prepare me for Lawrence of Arabia (Sharif's first English-language film). I was knocked backward by his electricity. Just his posture--the straight-backed danseur-noble carriage we hope for in our best skaters. Shikharulidze stood like that. Sharif managed to be almost but not quite theatrical in his evocation of a desert nobleman. Gorgeous, and didn't he know it.

I'm fascinated by screen biography. It's so tough to do well. I'm avid to see Meryl Streep as Thatcher for that reason, both to see her performance and to watch how the filmmakers shape the story. But this movie will always remain one of the giants of the genre (though we could think of it as a historical epic rather than as a biography, Lawrence's personality is at the center of it). Has anyone else seen it lately? What are your thoughts on it?

They see it as memory, with Streep playing Thatcher in dementia. I've only seen previews but Meryl completely becomes Margaret, the way she became Julia Child. She has played every role to the max, but to take on historical characters that we have so much footage of...it speaks to her skill that they did not go with a Brit like helen Mirren or many other amazing actresses. I think I have seen every Meryl movie except "Mamma Mia" and only because I hate Abba. I think I must be the only one!

I am in New England and we are getting our second snow of the winter. Ecologically, not good, but I am grateful to God as last year we got 78 inches, and being disabled, I wanted to just die, really. I have been able to get out thru this amazingly quiet winter. I'd love to be in Arizona, but that isn't likely.

Anyway, today, I watched TCM, OLYMPIA, and enjoyed Audrey Hepburn in "The Nun's Story" which I saw many years ago. I somehow remembered a different ending, with "Sister" going back to the Congo and reuiniting with the surgeon. I think they ended it with her leaving the convent because it would have been very controversial to have her leave the religious life for a man. But that was my hope watching it. I love Audrey Hepburn. No one looked like Audrey either, though i see Rooney Mara was maybe channelling her with the black hair. I should check the listings more. Or ask you what is coming UP! I find myself being critical of many old movies because I grew up with gritty realism of Cinema post 60s, and I agree with Streep the acting is way better now. I wish Spielberg were more active as he is my favorite moviemaker and he has never made a film I did not like. Much of what gets on screen has way more gratuitous violence (and sex scenes that don't seem needed) than my frail nature can honestly take.

So, I am thrilled Olympia we have this move and Oscar thread. I sense you are "mature" and I can trust the taste of you ladies. I at least know what to look for when the DVDS COME OUT. Movie theatres are hard for me. I too love Sharif. Dr. Zhivago still makes me weep, and I had "Lara's theme" in a music box years ago. I loved him opposite Barbra in "Funny Girl." That is my favorite musical, with Funny Lady coming a close second. How I wish film makers had the guts to do these kind of movies today. The talent is out there, and shows like Glee and Smash show there is TV audience for this. i just can't imagine people not loving a great broadway musical brought to film, even if it is tough to transform live theatre to the colder medium of film. Well, I am dating myself. I wish I could do something about Tv programming. We are being intellectually assaulted.

So Olympia, if you have a movie rec for TCM, please let me know. I have never had the time in my life to be a movie buff. It often takes figureskating to get me to turn the telly on! Since it's now on internet, I spend much more time online reading.
    Last edited by skateluvr; 02-29-2012 at 08:22 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I havent seen Mama Mia either, so you are not alone I ve seen some pieces of the film, it just didn't happen so far
    I have some friends who had seen the cast here when they were filming it!

Olympia my mum had a crash on Sarif, we ve seen all his movies in this house
    About Iron Lady, the most bold thing I read is that Streep was so good that she made Thatcher actually likable, lol!
    I ll see Hugo hopefully by Sunday and tell you, I m curious because they say they used different 3d techniques and the movie is not as dark in colors as usually the 3ds are. I don't like 3d much, I think last 3d movie I saw was the alien smurfs ( The Avatar)

just can't imagine people not loving a great broadway musical brought to film, even if it is tough to transform live theatre to the colder medium of film.
    there have been many broadway musicals made into films lately, just not this Oscar season.

Custom Title
    Yes, let's keep this movie thread going!

Seniorita, I just realized that you're the one person among all of us who is likely to have visited the locale of Mamma Mia! I did see the movie, but I didn't warm to it. Meryl Streep is kind of wasted doing Abba songs, though the cast is a humdinger--Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skarsgard, Christine Baranski, Julie Walters, and of course Streep. To my mind, the music is way too insubstantial for the overblown way it's produced, and Streep and the guys don't really have pop voices. Also, the time frame is all wrong--there's no way Meryl was a young flower child twenty years earlier. She isn't just too chronologically old, she's too emotionally mature. But okay, I'm glad they clearly had fun making the movie, and it certainly shows her versatility.

Interesting sidelight: The storyline for the original theatrical musical is loosely based on a minor movie of the sixties called Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell, in which Gina Lollabrigida was the supposedly widowed (but actually unmarried) mother of a twenty-year-old girl by one of three American GIs stationed in Italy during World War II. I have actually seen that movie, and the minute I heard of Mamma Mia, I said "aha!" I turned out to be correct. In any case, Seniorita and Skateluvr, neither of you has lost anything by missing Mamma Mia. It's adequate, and that's about it.

On the other hand, I completely agree with you, skateluvr, about Julie and Julia. What a beautiful movie, and what a lovely portrayal of Julia and Paul Child! One reviewer wrote that every movie from now on should star Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci. It was a stroke of genius to alternate the narratives of the two women--the view of Julia Child through the lens of time made her story all the more powerful.

I never know what's going to be on TCM until I am there on the channel, because I always forget to check their great website, which has their monthly schedule. Every year they devote February to movies that had some connection with the Academy Awards--either a nomination or a win for acting, directing, Best Picture, even music or cinematography. So I got to pig out on Errol Flynn movies including The Sea Hawk and Robin Hood, and the splendid picture about Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan, The Miracle Worker. I missed the Audrey Hepburn movies, I'm sorry to say. You're right; there's no one like her. And she was a great lady in real life, working for the U.N. on children's issues.

Maybe Streep is right that the acting is better nowadays, or at least more naturalistic, but there's stuff from earlier eras that will not be equaled: Cary Grant's debonair comedic timing, the magical grace of Fred Astaire with any partner or alone, and earlier back, the mysterious appeal of Garbo's face in a silent movie such as The Temptress. I actually prefer her in silents to her talking pictures. Dialogue weighs her down, somehow--except in Ninotchka. Maybe to me these movies are windows onto other worlds, just as much as Avatar is. (Seniorita, I love your description of the Na'vi as alien smurfs!) A lot of them are on DVD nowadays, even some of the silents.

One musical I'm eager to see as a movie: Wicked. I love the music!
    Last edited by Olympia; 03-01-2012 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    there have been many broadway musicals made into films lately, just not this Oscar season.
    Please toni, fill me in. what broadway musicals were on film this year or last? tks

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Please toni, fill me in. what broadway musicals were on film this year or last? tks
    as I said in my last post this Oscar Season there were no big musicals. it goes in cycles, just as everything else... however they have made remakes of several - unfortunately most were flops (I haven't seen them so I can't judge)... I don't even know if they were redone as musicals or not, and there's talk that other musicals are in talks of being remade. Hollywood, right now, is all about the remake.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Someone else had said Navi as blue smurfs, I just borrowed it since then, I thought it was hilarious!
    I d seen the musical of Mama Mia in the past so more or less I know whats going on on the film too(And I m a Colin Firth uber :D), Olympia the island the filmed it is Skopelos, it is a beautiful one because it has lots of green and also green sea instead of blue, it is not the typical white little houses - blue everything else of greek island, and it was not that popular before the movie. Now it is crowded, I ve been there BMM (before Mama Mia) and after and it is completely different, now it is very trendy kind, and I think they still play this movie there everyday in the summer in the openair cinemas!
    Watch Chicken with Plums I dont know why it was not in the foreign list nominees but it should have been

Custom Title
    In recent years, Chicago was made into a movie very successfully (with Catherine Zeta Jones winning an Oscar for it), and Nine and Rent were also filmed, with considerably less financial success. I think Rent had most of the original Broadway cast, including Idina Menzel (who also starred as Elphaba in Wicked on Broadway), and Nine had almost everyone in the world in it, including SIX Oscar winners and one nominee: winners Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Sophia Loren, Judi Dench, and Nicole Kidman; and nominee Kate Hudson. Sheesh: I just looked it up on imdb-dot-com, and its budget was $80 million, but its gross intake was about $20 million. That qualifies as a flop in my book. The description of it in Roger Ebert's review doesn't make it sound very attractive to me.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...912239996/1023

The only other musicals recently filmed that I can think of are the High School Musicals. I tried to watch the DVD of one; I made it through fifteen minutes of it and had to stop. I think I've outgrown that plot line by a long way.

Anyone else have anything to add to the list?

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    What about Mama Mia???

Don't forget teh remake of Hairspray (much better than the one with Ricky Lake, and got Oscar buzz) The Producers: The Musical was great... dream girls (I didn't like it, but others did). The remake of Sweeny Todd (that got lots of Oscar Buzz)... but again those were in the last few Oscar Cycles. This season there wasn't one that I know of except Footloose (is that a musical? LOL)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast