Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What do most skaters eat?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by alexeifan View Post
    So someone on a vegan diet would just be eating fruits and veg throughout the day and their main source of protein only comes from nuts? Would they eat nuts for every meal then? I would think that might get boring after awhile.
    No. She probably eats Tofu and drinks soymilk for protein as well. She would also be able to eat peanut butter so long as it was made without dairy. Nuts are high in fat, this fat is mostly good fat, but I doubt that is her only or main source of protein. I recall Alissa mentioning she was a big fan of soymilk on some interview or favorite food lists awhile back.

Custom Title
    I think Plush only had a banana the day of the 2010 olympics?
    Lol the Russians and their crazy diets. It would appear Ksenia Makarova is on one, she looks so different now than the way she did when she was training in the states. Also on her formspring Anna Ovcharova mentioned that she does not eat dinner on a regular basis....the girl is 15. Yikes.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I would imagine that one of the things cut out would be fats, especially animal fats. It's partly the balance of body fat that triggers puberty in girls, at least. I also wonder whether Chinese trainers have researched foods that are typically produced with hormones (in the U.S., often that's dairy foods and chicken) and forbid those to their skaters. Dairy isn't a food usually eaten in China to begin with, of course.

Some of the Chinese skaters (and even more so the girl gymnasts) look as if they might mature by the time they're thirty. They look underfed and barely grown. I have no idea what's done to them, but it's been painful to watch Pang and Tong skate, much as I love them. Shen and Zhao seem all right to my inexpert eye, but Pang and Tong seem as though their every mouthful is carefully doled out.

The sad thing is that the years of development taken away from a girl can't be given back. It's not as though they stop the body clock and then resume it again when the child retires. The growth plates in the bones are screwed up, bone density may become abnormal, and the person's predestined adult height may never be reached. It's an eating disorder imposed from outside. Shame on any coaching system, east, west, or on Mars, that depends on that for success.
    I'm going to have to disagree with your negative assessment of people utilizing those diets for success. The point of athletic competition is to use your body in whatever way it takes to win and if someone is only using natural means to achieve those goals, then they can not be faulted for it. They may be "messing up" their bodies but that is not for us to pass judgement over; for the most driven people those are the kinds of sacrifices that are worth it for personal satisfaction.

My issue is if the Chinese government is forcing kids into doing it (yes). Everyone deserves to have a choice and everyone deserves to be informed. The other issue, of course, is if they are receiving injections to delay growth. That would fall under the category of unfair drug usage.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with your negative assessment of people utilizing those diets for success. The point of athletic competition is to use your body in whatever way it takes to win and if someone is only using natural means to achieve those goals, then they can not be faulted for it. They may be "messing up" their bodies but that is not for us to pass judgement over; for the most driven people those are the kinds of sacrifices that are worth it for personal satisfaction.

My issue is if the Chinese government is forcing kids into doing it (yes). Everyone deserves to have a choice and everyone deserves to be informed. The other issue, of course, is if they are receiving injections to delay growth. That would fall under the category of unfair drug usage.
    BOP, that is my issue with it as well. If you look back at what I said, I reserved my disapproval for that kind of coerced starvation. I don't love that athletes go on crazy diets in any country, but as you say, some people are driven and use all sorts of weird (hopefully natural) methods to keep themselves at the top of the heap. I don't love it, but it's not my call. But if it's part of a training regime imposed by an institution (and the implication is "Who cares what happens to these kids, because we have plenty more where they came from"), then I think indignation is a suitable response.

As a by-the-way, what I said about potential bad effects of stringent diets in adolescence is, alas, true whether or not we pass judgment on the people using them. I can't rescind those details, because I didn't make up the laws of nature. Fortunately, (a) the extreme effects don't happen to everyone and (b) many athletes don't starve to extreme craziness.
    Last edited by Olympia; 02-25-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Custom Title
    Where do the entrenched belief of coerced diet and training in other nations come from? It's so self perpetuating without any proof like so many myths.

The US is the nation plagued with eating disorders, from over eating by the majority of the population, on junk food no less, to self deprivation illnesses which are often fatal. There are "coercions" from many powerful institutions, including the government which passes laws against healthy foods, subsidizes junk foods and approves toxic additives.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I think Plush only had a banana the day of the 2010 olympics?
    If he had eaten two bananas maybe he would have won.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Next time you go to see him skate, throw him bananas after the SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    I remember reading that Yagudin would forego food on the day of competition so he'd be lighter for his jumps.

And as I've said on this forum before, I believe it was Brooke Castile who said the best thing about retirement was that Ben Okolski isn't around to yell at her when she eats.

I am just guessing, but it seems skaters don't eat a lot.
    This is an interesting and amusing thread.
    I have vegans and vegetarians in my office. The one vegan I know.. not a single fat on her body. Her kids are vegans too (which is something I won't encourage ..even the doctors). The vegetarians I know .. none of them is fat too. So there's really benefit in being a vegetarian if one is talking about health and weight.
    Who are the figure skaters who are vegetarians or vegans? If they are still competing they will need to find good sources of protein to build their muscles?
    Personally don't mind being a vegetarian as I am not much of a meat eater and I can see the benefits.
    Serious Business, does forgoing food for the day makes one lighter for jumps? Aw..I think I will be so starved that I won't be able to jump or think (no sugar getting to my head) - based on my own experience in dieting.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Oh Seniorita, you are funny. Why two? Why not a bunch? Maybe he ate the wrong type of banana. There are many species.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ cause the margin points he lost was less than the size of a Chiquita.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Next time you go to see him skate, throw him bananas after the SP.
    I would but I m afraid someone might slip on them and fall
    Last edited by seniorita; 02-25-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Not to mention whales, the biggest on earth, live centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post

There are "coercions" from many powerful institutions, including the government which passes laws against healthy foods, subsidizes junk foods and approves toxic additives.
    The government with the backing of P&Cs have already legislated against the sale of 'junk food' in school tuckshops/refectories in DownUnder! And hopefully to reduce the increasing obesity among children. I think we can only legislate so much. It all boils down to what we eat at home and education in schools.

Coming back to the skaters, so what do they really eat? I would assume most would try to avoid the obvious unhealthy food though some times, the 'unheathy food' may taste a lot better.

Custom Title
    I feel like some skaters eat a pretty "normal" diet. I have heard several times that Caroline Zhang has a big sweet tooth, Mirai is a junk food junkie, and I know Amanda Dobbs loves to bake and has mentioned she doesn't watch what she eats so much as the portion size. With the amount they are exercising, I don't think it is necessary to follow a super strict diet to stay slim. I mean, I'm a college student, and there are plenty of slender girls walking around campus who eat junk food and drink on the weekends, sure some of them work out a ton, but others barely work out at all. A lot depends on genetics and metabolism. I assume in general the diet of a pairs skater is probably more strict than that of a singles skater, and the diet of a singles ladies skater more strict than that of a singles male skater. Just my two cents. I doubt skaters are eating at McDonalds multiple times a week but I'm sure some of them eat like normal people.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    The government with the backing of P&Cs have already legislated against the sale of 'junk food' in school tuckshops/refectories in DownUnder! And hopefully to reduce the increasing obesity among children. I think we can only legislate so much. It all boils down to what we eat at home and education in schools.
    Eating well is made very difficult when the mass produced "foods" are nutrient depleted and badly contaminated with toxic matters such as pesticides, antibiotics, and growth hormones meant to fatten livestock and unfortunately the predators who consume them as well. Even drinking water is contaminated with hormones and all kinds of drugs taken by the over medicated population. If the effects on human are denied, they are clearly evidenced by deformed frogs and fish, with the males being more and more androgynous. It is really self destructive of us to annihilate our food species.

Coming back to the skaters, so what do they really eat? I would assume most would try to avoid the obvious unhealthy food though some times, the 'unheathy food' may taste a lot better.
    Most unhealthy foods don't taste better but are manufactured with addictive additives. I find them mostly disgusting and would rather go hungry, though I wouldn't turn down an occasional truly fine decadent desert. My motto is if I must sin, it has to be worth it. No getting sick and fat on cheap candy or donuts for me.

I do understand people, including skaters and other athletes, enjoy familiar foods and many have developed the common bad habits like a sweet tooth or hankering for certain fast food. But when people are motivated, either for good health or for winning advantages, they adopt healthy diets appropriate for themselves, with changed taste preferences or sheer will power at least initially. Eating well should not be just about body weight but about good nutrition and optimal health. The more one depends on youth hormones to compensate for a poor lifestyle when young, the earlier they age. A classic spend now and pay later plan.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I feel like some skaters eat a pretty "normal" diet. I have heard several times that Caroline Zhang has a big sweet tooth, Mirai is a junk food junkie, and I know Amanda Dobbs loves to bake and has mentioned she doesn't watch what she eats so much as the portion size. With the amount they are exercising, I don't think it is necessary to follow a super strict diet to stay slim. I mean, I'm a college student, and there are plenty of slender girls walking around campus who eat junk food and drink on the weekends, sure some of them work out a ton, but others barely work out at all. A lot depends on genetics and metabolism. I assume in general the diet of a pairs skater is probably more strict than that of a singles skater, and the diet of a singles ladies skater more strict than that of a singles male skater. Just my two cents. I doubt skaters are eating at McDonalds multiple times a week but I'm sure some of them eat like normal people.
    This... Keegan always brags to me about HOW much he eats sometimes, haha, he eats A LOT!! Me and his mom always joke about it.

Chris Caluza always tweets about what he's eating - the other day he had a macaroni and cheese hot dog with all sorts of stuff on it. He also has a weak spot for KFC - we both discuss it often (KFC <3).

On the other hand, another skater I know (who will remain nameless) practically starves himself, and it breaks my heart. It's the cruel and ugly side of this sport...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast