Only in Alaska | Golden Skate

Only in Alaska

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I would be scared half out of my wits if a moose walked into my job.

The sign is funny though.

That is hysterical, Toni. I can see why you'd never want to live anywhere else. Alaska has a personality!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I'd love to see a photo of the moose registering in emerge!
Terrific story, I love it!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Brilliant! I should have known you'd come up with this! Ungulate? Never heard that term but then when have I seen a moose? My north Toronto wildlife is pretty much local pets plus raccoons and squirrels.

I always loved the beginning of Northern Exposure when they'd show the moose ambling down the main street.

The unfortunate ungulate...what a great phrase! I couldn't remember exactly what qualified animals as ungulates--whether it was hooves or stomach setup, and I found some interesting stuff in the Wiki-article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ungulate

Apparently some strange cousins show up in this group including manatees (Hooves? Where?) and aardvarks! This is new to me. As usual, modern genetic research is changing the idea of which animals are really related. But so far, elephants, horses, deer, goats, pigs, and llamas are all still cousins. It's a splendid bunch of beasts.

But when an elephant or a giraffe shows up in a produce department in Anchorage or Juneau, you'd better give us more than photos, Toni! I expect video for that one.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
We had an Elephant at the zoo who painted paintings and made big bucks doing so... does that count?

we also had a polar bear that tried eating tourists, but the tourist deserved it (she climbed over the barrier to pet him, Binky got her shoe and packed it around so proud of himself.)

That counts, Toni!

There's a breed of jerks (I hope they're a separate species--Homo Idioticus) who will see a fence and take it as an invitation to climb it. Do they not understand the significance of ten feet tall, with teeth? Many of them are even sober at the time. What explains this? Completely beyond me.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dunno, they're the same stupid people who go to pet a moose in teh wild and get stomped to death... sad thing is the animals and not the humans are always blamed for teh stupidity.

PET a MOOSE in the WILD??!? I wouldn't pet a strange dog on a leash in the city.

People that clueless make me feel like Galileo by comparison.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Most folks believe they're just like horses... and the docile moose in tv and films that act like horses don't help.

Johar

Medalist
I know some horses I wouldn't ever try to pet. The girl, as I recall, thought he looked cute and friendly and she wanted to get a better photo.