junior men - Short Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

junior men - Short Program

gmyers

Record Breaker
why doesnt Brown ever want to try the 3A? It will be interesting for seniors with him never doing a 3A like every junior did!!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Denis is still 18, but maybe having competed in senor last season
looks weird he is still competing in juniors , but I was expecting Brown to be ranked 1st

Farris , caught me off guard he is 1st, as he is not as good as Brown and inconsistent

Brown has not tried 3a in competition all season, putting him at a huge disadvantage to skaters like Yan, Farris, and Ten, who all have 3a and equally good spins and PCS. D10 was a child prodigy, he has competed at senior events for some time, but he is only 18 still. He started competing at senior events at 15 because he was the strongest male skater for Kazakstan and had the jumps to compete with the seniors even then.

Josh Farris was great on the JGP and just had a rough outing at Nationals. I wouldn't say he's that inconsistent. He has consistently performed his SP very well this season (save nationals), earning scores at or near 75 at all his internationals this season, and won both his JGPs. He was 3rd at the final due to some mistakes in his FS, but the top 3 were very close point-wise and he was debuting a new FS program there. He is a strong jumper and strong spinner with a beautiful classical style. He is sometimes hot and cold in the FS but I feel his nationals was more flukey than anything. I am not surprised to see him in the lead here, his SP, when skated well, is mesmerizing.

I really hope Josh and Jason can both medal! However, the competition is steep. Yan will go for 4t in FS, I am assuming Ten will too, Farris has 4t and tried it at Nationals (not successful but close, and he's been landing them in practices for over a year now), and Brown's 3a was ready before he tweaked his ankle right before Nationals. Do the Russian men also have quads? Surprised to see the Japanese men ranked so low, Tanaka won silver here last season! I think Yan will probably win, but I'd love to see Farris pull an upset and think he could with a strong FS outing, his new Rachmaninoff program is very beautiful. If Brown tries and lands 3a he could definitely pull up to medal/win, the rest of his skating is so strong. Ten is also really good. Would not be surprised at all to see really high total scores among the top entrants here, they are that good.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
why doesnt Brown ever want to try the 3A? It will be interesting for seniors with him never doing a 3A like every junior did!!

Plan was to try it at JGPF and Nationals but he suffered a slight injury to his ankle and so he didn't. I think he will probably try it in the FS here.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I believe all 3 Japanese men, as well as Gracie Gold, lost their luggage, and only had their skates delivered last night. Gracie was able to skate her scheduled practice yesterday, but time had to be made for the 3 Japanese men to skate later. This cannot have helped them to have great performances today, particularly as the protocols look like the top skaters landed their stuff. Brown is the only one in the top 5 not to have a 3A in the short, and although he has very positive GOE for all skills, he only got a level 2 on one spin and a level 3 on F/w. Bush obviously had problems with his 3A. Ten got negative GOE on both spins, one of which only got level 1. Farris got level 4 on everything except level 3 on his step.

Macassar88

Medalist
Han Yan needs to work on his levels. He has the highest PCS and has good GOE's on his elements, but he started off more than two points behind Joshua Farris in the SP.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I think it was only Uno who had delayed luggage, as the other two that Tatjana Flade tweeted about are in the Ladies' competition (Miu Sato and Satoko Miyahara)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you, I had forgotten the names of the other 2. I am sure you are right. Uno & Gold were the only 2 named skaters that I recognized from the tweet.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Han Yan needs to work on his levels. He has the highest PCS and has good GOE's on his elements, but he started off more than two points behind Joshua Farris in the SP.

I feel like Yan is a very strong spinner, perhaps he was just off with counting his revolutions today? Usually his spins are quite strong with +GOE and I assume level 4s. FS draw is up, Ten, Yan, and Farris skate back-to-back-to-back and start off the last group, and Jason Brown skates dead last. Will be interesting to see what happens, but according to the Hersh article, Brown is not planning to try the 3a in the FS here.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I'd say Brown is still a contention for a podium if brown skates well
those 3 all in line skaters after the other, a meltdown could happen

I really like Brown compared to Farris, who imo has the skills but lacks charisma
This is Han Yan's to lose in FS and if Farris has a meltdown like most of the time, Brown might sneak in.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Plan was to try it at JGPF and Nationals but he suffered a slight injury to his ankle and so he didn't. I think he will probably try it in the FS here.

I hope he does try it. He has to get it out there sometime.

I hope Jason can move up to medal. I really enjoy his skating.

tampro1

Rinkside
I'd say Brown is still a contention for a podium if brown skates well
those 3 all in line skaters after the other, a meltdown could happen

I really like Brown compared to Farris, who imo has the skills but lacks charisma
This is Han Yan's to lose in FS and if Farris has a meltdown like most of the time, Brown might sneak in.

Farris won both his Grand Prix events and made the podium at the GPF. He had a terrible nationals, but overall...he's pretty reliable. Plus he has a triple axel, decent style and paints a relatively masculine picture on the ice ala Evan. Brown is a showman! He's not as dramatic as Weir but is just as interesting to watch. I really enjoyed Brown's FP at Nationals even with the falls. It will be interesting to see who the USFSA backs in the end. I think Denis Ten is the best skater here. I've been a long time fan and he's about due for a win. If he skates clean with his triple axel and quad, he should win.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yan will definitely go for 4t as he has all season. Ten and Farris have 4t but idk if either/both are planning to attempt it here. Brown has no 3a or 4t, but has a backloaded program. Jason is still definitely capable of medaling, he just has a smaller margin of error, especially because he's already chasing the others. I actually really like Farris's style and don't find him lacking charisma like some others. I think he is as strong as Brown artistically, just in a different way. The same is true of Han Yan. If the top 3 skate their best it's hard to say who would come out on top, they are very evenly matched and all great talents IMO.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason is going to have to try landing a triple axel soon in competition. Even if he falls he needs to see if he can do one that's the only way he will ever find out..

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
He knows that, and said to Phil Hersch that he absolutely had to have one next season in a recent article.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I found these videos so far for men, from the same account as pairs.

Warm-Up Group 1

1 Daniel Albert NAURITS EST
2 Marcus BJÖRK SWE
3 Chih-I TSAO TPE
4 Carlo RÖTHLISBERGER SUI
5 Kamil DYMOWSKI POL
6 Pavel IGNATENKO BLR

Warm-Up Group 2

7 Michael Christian MARTINEZ PHI
8 Yakov GODOROZHA UKR
9 Nam NGUYEN CAN
10 Slavik HAYRAPETYAN ARM
11 Matthias VERSLUIS FIN
12 Harry MATTICK GBR

Warm-Up Group 3

13 Luiz MANELLA BRA
14 Brendan KERRY AUS
15 Maurizio ZANDRON ITA
16 Shoma UNO JPN
17 Timothy DOLENSKY USA
18 June Hyoung LEE KOR

Warm-Up Group 4

19 Liam FIRUS CAN
20 Petr COUFAL CZE
21 Denis TEN KAZ
22 Martin RAPPE GER
23 He ZHANG CHN
24 Jason BROWN USA

Warm-Up Group 5

25 Joshua FARRIS USA
26 Han YAN CHN
27 Artur DMITRIEV RUS
28 Zhan BUSH RUS
29 Keiji TANAKA JPN
30 Ryuju HINO JPN

Mao88

Record Breaker
Videos - Men's Short Program (Updated - Top 15)

1. Joshua FARRIS (USA)

2. Han YAN (CHN)

3. Denis TEN (KAZ)

4. Jason BROWN (USA)

5. Zhan BUSH (RUS)

6. He ZHANG (CHN)

7. Liam FIRUS (CAN)

8. Artur DMITRIEV (RUS)

9. Timothy DOLENSKY (USA)

10. Shoma UNO (JPN)

11. Keiji TANAKA (JPN)

12. Martin RAPPE (GER)

13. Petr COUFAL (CZE)

14. Ryuju HINO (JPN)

15. June Hyoung LEE (KOR)

As Phil Hersh points out here, had Jason Brown done a triple axel instead of a double, the additional 5.2 base value would have had him practically level with Joshua Farris! However, looks like it won't be too long before Jason starts to address the issue of the triple axel as he told Hersh that: "For sure, I can't go another season without it"

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
About Jason putting out the 3-axel -- he has been practicing the jump. I hope he will put it out when he and his coach feel he is consistent enough to be successful. If not this season, then next season is soon enough IMO. He is after all, only 17 years old. IMO, I don't think it is at all healthy for still maturing young skaters to go gung ho with trying to land quads, and putting too much pressure on themselves physically and psychologically in training 3-axel either or putting it out when the skater is not ready. So what if it takes a skater like Brown more time to land the 3-axel (Chan was not quite ready at ages 16 and 17 either but felt pressure to put out the 3-axel and he has had consistency and technique problems with it). At this point, I would wait until next season, unless Jason and his coach feel it is worth it to try the 3-axel in the fs at Jr. Worlds to be more competitive (as long as the injury to his ankle is healed).

I also think that Jason, Joshua and Denis have better execution and presentation skills than Han Yan, although Yan is quite talented too (he doesn’t interpret the music well).

deedee1

Record Breaker
If Jason is the one to win, I hope he goes for a 3A and lands it.
I dont mind if he steps out or 2-foot, does not have to land it perfectly, but at least he goes for it.

He needs to try 3As while competing at Junior cricuit. Or he may have hard time adjusting to the technical level when comes up at Senior; a la Adam.