Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: junior men - Short Program

Custom Title
    Han Yan has the flare and potentially could develop a lot in artistic area. Maybe Lori Nichol could bring out the best of him next season. Looking forward to seeing it!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    God forbid Lori Nichol...other than Carolina's SP, nothing she's done lately does anything for me.

But what will be, will be.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    God forbid Lori Nichol...other than Carolina's SP, nothing she's done lately does anything for me.

But what will be, will be.
    Oh, my! I think Patrick Chan's Aranjeuz is the best of her work! And I love it to this point

Custom Title
    I thought Michelle Kwan's Aranjuez was far more expressive than Chan's. Chan is a great technician, but as a performer he doesn't touch the heart for anyone but his ubers.

Custom Title
    Gee now I have to agree with the American Brown ubers that he is indeed a complete package.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Gee now I have to agree with the American Brown ubers that he is indeed a complete package.
    Well, to me at least, not having a quad seems shouldn't hurt the "complete package" concept because quad is such a prestigeous element and represents the pinnacle of the technical abilities. But not having a 3A seems a lot to missing in a "complete package". I don't know. If anyone really insists it is still a "complete package" without 3A, be it. It's just a word game and affects nothing.

By the way, I think Joshua Farris does have his own style in skating. Maybe it's not that kind of in your face style and hair which make him stands out. But he does have it. Particularly his use of his wrists made his skating different from others.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Edited: I'm confused now. First read I thought you were complaining that we were forcing you to agree. But now as I read it again, it seems that you are agreeing?

Can you clarify your stance?

ETA: I hope we can move on from semantics. I feel like I've spent too much time clarifying what Brown has to bring to the table, regardless of your view of "complete package" or "all-around skater."
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-08-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    We have moved to such a low plane of semantics, that perhaps it's time to move the discussion(s) out of the Junior World Championships men's SP thread and into thread(s) in The Edge?

Possible thread topics:

What does a skater need to have to have the "whole package"? Does this concept differ between different countries?

Should Patrick Chan seek choreography from someone other than Lori Nichol? (Hint-I'd love to see this! No more antique music, please!)

Joshua Farris needs his own thread. Bluebonnet, would you like to start one?

What makes a skater memorable? Can being memorable be learned? What skaters of the past were memorable, not for their competitive scores, but for their performances?
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-08-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Well, to me at least, not having a quad seems shouldn't hurt the "complete package" concept because quad is such a prestigeous element and represents the pinnacle of the technical abilities. But not having a 3A seems a lot to missing in a "complete package". I don't know. If anyone really insists it is still a "complete package" without 3A, be it. It's just a word game and affects nothing.

By the way, I think Joshua Farris does have his own style in skating. Maybe it's not that kind of in your face style and hair which make him stands out. But he does have it. Particularly his use of his wrists made his skating different from others.

ITA. And I like Jason and I apologize to his ubers for saying this, but at this point, I think Josh is the better skater and closer to being the full package than Jason. Everyone might not appreciate his artistry, but he IS an artistic skater, in addition to being flexible, elegant, a very good spinner, and a solid technician who has a 3a (and quite a nice one at that) in his arsenal already. He's also been training the quad for two seasons now, and we saw at nationals it's pretty close. I know some complain that he is boring or balletic, but since leaving Tom Z, he has come a LONG way artistically. Compare his last season programs to this season's and you'll see what I mean, he almost looks like a completely different skater, one who incorporates a whole lot more emotion, expression, and tension into his skating. I see what some people say regarding Josh needing more power, but I believe that will come in time, and already he has become stronger than before since he's started to fill out through the shoulders this season and look more "manly" on the ice. For me, all this kid really needs to go places on the senior ranks is more power, and then a consistent quad would help too. Plus he's so young, everyone keeps saying that about Jason, but Josh is even one month younger and has been jumping 3a since he was 14, so he can afford to really work on strength and getting that 4t consistent now, and those are really just extra things to make his skating even better, because everything else is so solid already.

I mean, Rippon is US #2 right now, and Josh has a lot of the same strengths as Adam along with a much better 3a. And actually, the PCS Josh got at JW are already close to what Rippon gets internationally, same goes for Miner. Further, Dornbush and Mahbanoozadeh, both are who well below Josh on the SB list, on average, actually got lower PCS internationally this season than Josh did on the junior ranks. I think as early as next season, maybe the season after, who is man number 2 in the US will come down to who among Rippon, Miner, Dornbush, and Farris gets a consistent quad first, in addition to being a good/consistent competitor. Mahbanoozadeh could be in the mix too if he continues to improve under Christy Krall, but currently he doesn't get much love from the international judges so it might be harder for him. If Jason can get a consistent 3a, I will add him to this list as well, but when I say consistent 3a, I mean dependably landing/rotating one in his SP and two in his FS on a regular basis, and trying for that every time out, because as special a skater as he is, if he's going to keep up with other men going for three 3as and one or two quads between their two programs, he'll need to at least be trying for three 3as.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Edited: I'm confused now. First read I thought you were complaining that we were forcing you to agree. But now as I read it again, it seems that you are agreeing?

Can you clarify your stance?

ETA: I hope we can move on from semantics. I feel like I've spent too much time clarifying what Brown has to bring to the table, regardless of your view of "complete package" or "all-around skater."
    Now that I realize what "complete package" means to the Americans, I agree with the American Jason Brown ubers' declaration of him being a complete package. When in Rome..........

I reserve my understanding of the term to apply to great skaters deserving recognition as such when the discussion is not American centric.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    Chan is a great technician, but as a performer he doesn't touch the heart for anyone but his ubers.
    Patrick Chan's ubers include the highest level judges and many great as well as up and coming skaters. He has also inspired a great number of young aspiring ones at various stages of their skating careers. Good company I would say. We have good taste, recognize talents, and have hearts to be touched.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 03-08-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    What skaters of the past...
    The answer is Michelle Kwan.

What was the question?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The answer is Michelle Kwan. What was the question?
    You are simply adorable. So cute.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8