American Idol - - Anyone Watching????? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol - - Anyone Watching?????

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Of course there are solo guys in country music, but so far none of the Idol guys have blasted past people like Keith Urban or Tim McGraw, right?

Last year's Idol winner has done a very good job at getting on the charts. So in theory he could be right up there with Keith, Tim and Brad...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, 50 million people according to the ads throughout The Smash episode I watched were watching "The Voice" so i have no idea how people have done-this is their second season? I know Frenchie was on last year and assume she did not make it. It does seem like we may see the next big "competition star for "the Voice" and not Idol. I think these formulaic shows though seldom produce the kind of artist I want to see. Taylor Swift is generic, pretty girl country. She made it without Idol, but Carrie Underwood is like so many country singers, pretty, big voice, good packaging. I don't think you would ever see The Judds make it on one of these shows, nor a Willie Nelson. If we are talking about marketable country stars which seems to be where the money is at and the popularity of the genre seems to exceed other popular music.

I am glad a few originals like Susan Boyle and jackie Evancho got their breaks on these singing shows. I can't help but think Barbara Streisand would be told to fix her nose. To think Jennifer Hudson was nearly lost to 7th place. It was a miracle she was just right for "Dreamgirls." Otherwise, would she be where Fantasia Barrino is Jordan Sparks, who I don't see as unique enough. Lady Gaga was someone I instantly hated. Then I finally saw she could sing, she could write, she could play the piano, and did have talent. She is far too whacky to get on one of these shows for mainstream America.

As for Clay Aiken, in another time, his voice would have been enough. But he is not likeable and seems odd in many ways. I personally laugh that J.Lo a "talent" at self promotion like so many women "artists" out there sits next to one of the great Rockers of our time, a musician, a composer, an amazing voice who fronted Aerosmith. I guess it is a nod to where music once was and where it is now that Paula Abdul and J.Lo and Simon Cowell could make or break so many people. Randy as a studio musician and Tyler at least have an ear for music. J. Lo understands autotune.

What was thu kid's name who won last year on Idol, Oh yeah, Scotty Mcreery. So one note, and he isn't in the same league as Keith Urban and Tim McGraw. I beiieve both write their own material. hHas Scotty shown any talent for this? I guess I need to check out Youtube to see what he has done on listen to soem cuts on Amazon before dissing him. I know we wouldn't have had the music of the 60's and 70's if shows like Idol and X Factor were trying to find the next star.

One person who I thought was an incredible singer was Adam Lambert. It seems like he should be fronting a mega successful band, but these are not the days of great bands eating up the charts either.

Last edited:
I agree about Lambert. I missed his year, but later on I found on YouTube a rendition he had done of a beautiful tune from the musical Brigadoon. The guy has a gorgeous voice. I think he doesn't want to go in that direction; he wants to be more the outrageous type, like Johnny Weir and Lady Gaga. Where he wants to go, I can't follow him. But he's got the gift, far more so than a rather limited singer (though a glamorous woman and a good self-marketer) like Jennifer Lopez.

I'm chuckling at the thought of Willie Nelson (in his younger days) competing on Idol. Can you imagine someone with his unique style being forced to sing on, say, Eighties Night? He'd be out on his ear, with Simon Cowell giving him a withering send-off. ("You're way too cabaret to make a success of it in this business." Or..."We've never sold anyone like you, so we couldn't possibly sell you.") I can almost guarantee that they would have sent home a man who's practically the Voice of America.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
LOL, exactly Olympia. Would the plus size Aretha have a contract post MTV? Not likely. I think of the mega talented mega stars "The Dixie Chicks." Where do duos and trios fit it these days?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
LOL, exactly Olympia. Would the plus size Aretha have a contract post MTV? Not likely. I think of the mega talented mega stars "The Dixie Chicks." Where do duos and trios fit it these days?

Country music has quite a few of them... and they're really good... boy bands killed it for pop IMO...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes, country is the go to genre for many singers. It matters that you can stand there and sing without a cirque-du-soleil production (i miss Surya Bonaly-I think of her when I see Cirque stuff). I really have always hated rap-wish I were younger-I had a decent voice and gift for poetry-I think I could do it-but it seems a black male genre. Hip hop is sometimes appealing like reggae, but I own no Cds. Older folks are not into buying new music in general, LOL. So, for what's on popular radio, I honestly don't know. I do know there are some good voices with their own stuff. Seems Adele hits everyone's heart chord, so to speak. I do lover her, though everyone's covers fall short.

I saw some thin blond girl with a unique voice passing by Idol tonight-no clue as to her name-was trying to charge puter. Decision time coming as to buy something else. Too many issues. Well, I will look at Youtube-who do you guys think is really good on Idol this year? I just want to see the best. I did catch Haley Reinhart-sexy, stunning, but no go for the music for me. Toni, the boy bands all were catchy, mrketable, not too shabby, but too young for my taste. It seems that only country has rom for duos and trios and I wonder where my beloved Dixie chicks have gone?

I hope the younger posters will tell us if anyone good is happening who is not getting airplay. I listen to Pandora Radio sometimes. I get overwhelmed by internet radio choices. I don't drive anymore, so i don't control the radio. Funny, sometimes one of the pop tarts as I call them does a song that catches me. i love Katy Perry 'firework" i like Pink, sometimes Rhianna or Beyonce, even a Gaga tune or whoever sang Bullettproof (thank you Yuna for showing me!) I know there must be a great radio station that showcases acoustic artists that remind me of all the great 60's and 70's music. It takes time to look. Idol is generally disappointing. I wish they would look for singer/songwriter/musician's and showcase their work instead of the "let's all do Stevie and Whitney" this week. Or 80's Really Only Lambert could sing anything. The Voice is about the unique or power house voice. Idol should be about finding an Adele type talent, who plays the piano. I want original. How is the Colton kid? I saw a little of him a ways back and liked what he was doing.

The last CD I bought was Jackie Evancho, so soothing. So Im an old fuddy duddy. The thing is, if I buy a CD, I have to really like 4 or 5 songs. if there is one break out single, I can't justify the money. I don't know how to use the older Ipod. Being tech challenged is so hard and scary. My puter was charging well, then tonight, not. So much to do before I turn it in. bronchitis slowed me down. It is hard when you are limited with help and every day brings more "life" (problems, LOL) I'd like an internet rado station that had oldies-60's 70's and also showcased new singer songwriters in single, broups, bands. Does such a thing exist?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wonder where my beloved Dixie chicks have gone

they went off the deepend when the lead singer decided to go all anti Bush and then attacked Toby Keith and proclaimed him a Bush lover (he's not) and a war monger. They also spoke out against the military one too many times. They kinda forgot their target audience was and is... well.. yeah... so their overtly political talk got in teh way of their music. Then their last album they made in into their political musical of sorts and I guess people stopped listening. Where as Toby was applauded for his musical response (which the message was basically shut up and coexist). They attacked the president, the troops and Toby... it was a trifecta of wrong and their comeback was a don't come back.

I only listen to Modern Country and Contemporary Christian with a bit of Broadway, a lot of Disney, and instrumental thrown in... there are a few hit songs out there from other genres that I like (and I have a ton of oldies) but my iPod shows my biggest collections are Disney and Country lol

try http://www.pandora.com their radio is simple. just plug in an artist or genre and they create a playlist. totally free! I love it! and if my mom (who's 68 and a techno-weenie) can figure it out anyone can!

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I still love em for their guts-rare- and their talent will bring em back, I sure hope.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh, saw Idol last night-Elise did 'Whole Lotta Love"If she get thrown off before the very end-I will never watch again. She can sing everything. Even Tyler had the begrudging jealous look. Best female rock vocale ver. Up there with Lambert's talent.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wasn't sorry to see Heejun go...it appeared he wasn't serious about the competition.

heyang

Record Breaker
I wasn't sorry to see Heejun go...it appeared he wasn't serious about the competition.

As someone with Asian ancestry, I was glad that he got eliminated, too. He tended to play the stereotype a bit, which I find really disheartening these days. As I told my friend, at least he's Korean.

Also, he wasn't nearly as talented as the remaining contestants.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they are all good but the ones I am rooting for are:
Jessica
Josh

The one who might take it all is Phillip...and I would be OK with that. There is just something about him.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone want to venture a guess as to who is going home tonight???

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm going to guess Hollie or Elise... but who knows...

my top 2 are Skylar and Colton. But this season just has a FANTASTIC top 7... they could all win and I think I'd be okay with it.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going to guess Hollie or Elise... but who knows...

my top 2 are Skylar and Colton. But this season just has a FANTASTIC top 7... they could all win and I think I'd be okay with it.

I am not as impressed with Hollie or Elise. I would be perfectly ok with Colton, Josh, Philip, Jessica or Skylar winning. They are as you say, Fantastic!!!!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Elise can sing anything. Not since Adam Lambert have we had someone who could sing "whole Lotta Love" and blow it up. She's the bomb-just not a teny bopper or close to it which Idol fans seems to require as the 'Idol.' Who went home? Hope it was not Elise.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Can't believe that it came down to a save for Jessica. What a joke. The competition will once again be controlled by young girls voting for young guys with marginal talent. I gave AI one more year, but this will be it for me. Expect either Colton or Phillip to win. I doubt if a girl will ever win this again. The judging should be as it is on SYTYCD where the judges control the weekly ousting until the final. 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well they got it right last year - Scotty's killing it in the country music world... I absolutely cannot stand Lauren, but he's tolerable...

the talent this year is pretty dang incredible...