Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Junior Ladies - Short Program

Custom Title
    Can someone please explain to me how it is that Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya got no edge calls for flutzing, when both of them got dinged in all their JGP/GP events this season. Gao, Li, and Lam got edge calls---and the first two are close competitors to the Russian girls.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Can someone please explain to me how it is that Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya got no edge calls for flutzing, when both of them got dinged in all their JGP/GP events this season. Gao, Li, and Lam got edge calls---and the first two are close competitors to the Russian girls.
    I don't think Lipnitskaya flutzed this time. It didn't look like it.

I think it was almost a lutz, technically still a flutz.
    Remember Julia has been one of the most consistent skaters for the year and she is a star in her own right.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    I think it was almost a lutz, technically still a flutz.
    Remember Julia has been one of the most consistent skaters for the year and she is a star in her own right.
    "Star" or not, a flutz is a flutz is a flutz. Technical rules should be applied to all skaters, "stars" or not. Go check the protocols of Lipnitskaia's JGP events. She's gotten lots of "e"s. Why are she and Adelina immune at JW when they were dinged everywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Basically, USFSA names skaters to different funding tiers — A B C — based on their performance at Nationals and in International competition. And within those tiers there are sub-tiers of 1 and 2.

Here are the requirements for 2012-2013. http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=350

p.s. does anyone know how Gracie managed to get Team C funding this year when she didn't even make Nationals nor competed internationally last year?
    thanks for the link. do you know how much skaters in each tier are awarded? or is that kept pretty confidential?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    I don't think Lipnitskaya flutzed this time. It didn't look like it.
    C'mon, I love my Lipnitskaya but that was a flutz.

Quote Originally Posted by Puchi View Post
    C'mon, I love my Lipnitskaya but that was a flutz.
    OK. It's fine if you think so. It was very close so it could or could not be. I am not such an expert and do not have the technology to see that.

I thought Julia was amazing, I see her for Sochi gold, Gracie was very tenative, still has a lot to work on, Adelina was very sloppy, she must have not been working as hard on her spins, she was so much better last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowdive View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who actually likes Gracie Gold's music.
    Sorry but I just don't see the appeal to Sotnikova's skating.
    Perhaps that's a bit harsh considering her age however I do think she's a bit overrated on this board.
    Try these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnvXY...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3XPHBTzw2A

I never really got it until I watched her exhibitions either. I feel like without them I would appreciate her but not love her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I just saw Adelina's spin, that cost her a lot, got level 1 ? , her jumps were big
    but what happened to her spinning position , that position looked awkward and she went slow
    Actually, I felt Julia L's layback spin positions were fugly. She has good extension and gracefulness, but her skating does not really excite me, nor inspire much emotion. She looks good, but there is something missing for me, whether it is a lack of maturity or a studied almost overdone approach to musical interpretation -- I'm not sure.

I agree with macy's #126 post, re assessment of Julia's music, choreo, and costume.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 03-02-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Custom Title
    Okay I watched Gracie again and I actually found myself liking her short and seeing improvement. Hopefully this will translate to the long program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    Among the videos I've seen I actually really liked Ziquan Zhao. I've never seen her short program before and it was a decent surprise.
    Thank you for single her out; just watch and like her as well.

Custom Title
    Despite Vanessa Lam's fall, I think she has better line, positions, and presentation than many of the skaters in front of her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    here's the ladies short program press conference, sorry if it's been posted already. they're all beautiful girls! julia is stunning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VJ3...e2FAAAAAAAACAA

Thanks for the link!

Lol I didn't even recognize Gracie Gold with her hair down (first time seeing it like this) and she is simply S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G in an all American glamour girl way. Seriously, she should get a LOT of endorsements & sponsors leading up to Sochi. In fact I think they should do it right now before they let her get away. And to add to that, her poise & composure & speech are amazing. The other two seemed like little kids in comparison to this woman. :D

And what more can I say about Adelina Sotnikova...she's exquisite...a timeless face for the ages. Add to that her adorable charm (reminiscent of Lilia Podkopayeva) and a touch of teenage awkwardness & insecurity, it goes straight to the heart.

As for Julia Lipinkskaya, she reminds me of an adorable little ferret. http://animalstown.com/animals/f/fer...lpaper-02.html (:^D

Can't wait for the FS!!!!!

Banned
    Gracie is classic American glamour girl. give her a stunning gown for a red carpet and she would fit in as a movie star
    Adelina has grown so much, her face has become womanly and has become more beautiful and her humbleness I admire
    Julia is beautiful, and looks very happy and is taking her performance here with delight

lovely Top 3 girls indeed

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast