Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Junior Ladies - Short Program

Custom Title
    Here are the protocols

Custom Title
    What's with Adelina?(((Spins!=(

Custom Title
    Funny, I didn't find it that way at all. Aside from the spins, I thought it was a good skate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSt7...el_video_title

I decided to sleep in this morning so I missed the Ladies.
    Congrats to Julia, Gracie and Adelina, looking forward to watching the videos.
    Sheesh what happened to Polina?

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Funny, I didn't find it that way at all. Aside from the spins, I thought it was a good skate:

Thanks for the video. I love this SP.

Custom Title
    Ahhhhh, just saw Miss Adelina Sotnikova's skate here: http://www.youtube.com/user/tamriko6.../0/ZCSt73OB3SE

And I almost cried, she's so beautiful, this is my favorite program & costume of hers! BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

Personally I would have had her in first. She's got everything, literally, everything. It gives me chills to watch her, so exquisite.

Can't wait for the FS...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post

Had her spins been better though, that would have taken her ahead of Gracie. She lost quite a lot on them and that was the difference. Another factor is that her favoured combination is a 3Zx3R, which she was not able to use here due to the rules this year in juniors (i.e. that the Lutz has to be the single jump). Hence, she had to deploy a 3Tx3T which has a lower base value than Gracie's combination. She lost 1.40 points on that just by itself. Combined, had she been able to use her preferred combination and had she done better with her spins, she would have come away with a score in the lower 60's.

Also, looking at the video of Adelina's performance, I actually think she was undermarked. What were the Judges looking at?? As you say, the only problem element was the spins and her PCS should have been a lot higher! Had she got the better PCS that she deserved, the taking the above factors into account, she would be neck and neck with Julia.
    Last edited by Mao88; 03-02-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Julia is simply phenomenal, I've never seen such a consistent skater!
    Julia is a kid and kids are often more consistent and less nervous than athletes / people in their late teens + adults. There are actual scientific studies that examined the physiological/neuropsychological changes during competition in tennis players, young adolescents (till 14 /15 years) and adults. The results clearly showed that most of the kids have none of the extreme reactions to the competitive stress adults tend to have. Puberty is not all about the different body, it's about self-doubt, intrinsic stress, over-thinking. Maybe that's the real puberty monster.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Julia is a kid and kids are often more consistent and less nervous than athletes / people in their late teens + adults. There are actual scientific studies that examined the physiological/neuropsychological changes during competition in tennis players, young adolescents (till 14 /15 years) and adults. The results clearly showed that most of the kids have none of the extreme reactions to the competitive stress adults tend to have. Puberty is not all about the different body, it's about self-doubt, intrinsic stress, over-thinking. Maybe that's the real puberty monster.
    I know, you are right, but it still impressive to see a 13 year old holding it together so well and have that "attack" mood on the ice. I honestly don't love her skating but she has something about her that I can't take my eyes of her!
    Not all young skaters react so well under the pressure. Neither Adelina or Liza had this level of consistency last year, their debut season. I know she is very very young and A LOT of things can change.

Custom Title
    I can't believe we are all watching the same video of Adelina and coming to opposite conclusions?! The music is horrible choice for her, the choreography is awful, she looks leaden across the ice, her natural elegance (at least compared to what I saw LIVE last year) is suppressed. She certainly wasn't undermarked for this--I thought the judges were kind. And on top of it, her costume is ugly. I normally like this girl and the skating she is capable of, but this is just not the vehicle to play to her strengths, growth spurt or no.

Custom Title
    Can't believe Lam, Shelepen, and Shoji are in 11th, 12th, and 18th . Puberty monster strikes again or else they were all just having really off-nights. Vanessa and Risa especially seem to be struggling as of late, idk what's going on. I guess with jumps that small I should have expected this as a possibility...

I assume Polina won't be going to Worlds then, unless she somehow manages to pull up and medal after the FS (or I suppose even finishing 4th-5th could do the trick if her FS score is really strong), but skating in the penultimate warmup I'm not sure what her PCS will be. I'm sure she will pull up, I'm just not sure how much.

Did Christina do 3f-3t, 3lz, and 2a? I assume she got edge call for her lutz but 52 seems too low of a score for that content.

I can see Adelina surpassing Gracie after the FS. She's still a really wonderful skater, she just had a bit of an off performance today. Gracie's presentation leaves a lot to be desired. But, kudos to her for finishing 2nd after skating in the 1st warmup!

Custom Title

Custom Title
    Ah just saw protocols. 3t-3t, e on lutz, neg GOE on 2a and messed up lvl1 spin explains Christina's score. Adelina messed up 2 spins which cost her quite a bit. Gracie got hardly any GOE on her flip combo and lutz, surprising. Downgrade fest for Shoji and it looks like she messed up 2 spins and only got level 2 for her footwork. On paper, you wouldn't think Shelepen and Lam's mistakes would have cost them as much as they did. If Simanckova hadn't double-footed her flip combo, Shelepen would likely have pissed out on the penultimate warmup group for the FS . Crazy. I still feel like she could end up medaling after the FS though. Joubert did it at Euros last season and Korobeynikova nearly did it at Euros this season.

Custom Title
    Well, we all have our different opinions. I like Adelina's SP costume, it is "in your face red" and shows off her beautiful form and makes a bold statement. What can I say about Julia? Her spins and flexibility are just wonderful and her SP was clearly the best. Adelina would have been second if a few of her spins were better, I wonder what the problem was?

Custom Title
    I was impressed with how Gracie was able to handle her nerves in her first real test. Her jumps weren't as spectacular and sure her presentation wasn't as good as Adelina's and Julia's, but look at the difference in experience between her and them. I am also not a fan of the gumby poses Julia does. I like flexability, but maybe more tastefully done. Also, it looked like Julia clearly flutzed, and yet no "e" call. I much prefer Adelina over Julia. I am not very good at scoring cop, so am not sure whether she was underscored here.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast