Junior Ladies - Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Junior Ladies - Short Program

DianaSelene

Medalist
she did 3T-3T not 3Lz-3lo because in junior SP a Lutz combo is not allowed sky_fly20

I know and I prefer that. Her program looked much better.

I'm sorry I messed up quoting.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
maybe she could try what Caroline does now with the 3Lo-3Lo. ditch the 3Lz-3lo and get a 3lo-3lo
Adelina's 3lz-3lo is not good because her technique with her flutz makes it harder for the combo and btw she needs to fix
her lutz , she reminds me of Mao when she started having problems with her lutz jump.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Odd as it seems, not all skaters like the 3t3t combination and find it harder than some other combos. But I think you're right that Adelina should do the combination that is easiest for her/gets good points, whatever that is. She gets good PCS, and has a good PCS reputation, so pushing the tech envelope does not pay for her, whereas a new kid on the block like Gracie Gold needs to really go for her tech levels.

Christine Gao needs to learn to center her spins and stop flutzing. That said, this was her best outing in an SP in some time, IMO.

People forget that about 1/2 of the stuff in PCS is actually tech.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Odd as it seems, not all skaters like the 3t3t combination and find it harder than some other combos. But I think you're right that Adelina should do the combination that is easiest for her/gets good points, whatever that is. She gets good PCS, and has a good PCS reputation, so pushing the tech envelope does not pay for her, whereas a new kid on the block like Gracie Gold needs to really go for her tech levels.

Christine Gao needs to learn to center her spins and stop flutzing. That said, this was her best outing in an SP in some time, IMO.

People forget that about 1/2 of the stuff in PCS is actually tech.

I just hope Sotnikova sticks with something that will help her and give her confidence instead of something very difficult that may make her more nervous. The 3T-3T seems to work with her and would not hurt her much considering her high pcs and her non-jump elements being fairly good. There are many things a skater can do that will enable him/her to rack up points- 3S, 3L, 3F, 3Lz combined with a toe. Anything that ends with a 3Lo makes me a bit nervous. Unless you can put a loop on the end as well as Lipinski did it, I don't think it is worth trying.

macy

Record Breaker
great job for the top 3. but, i really don't like julia's music, choreography, and dress. the music is boring and a bad version of dark eyes, the choreography isn't good and very repetitive with the flexibility moves, and her dress in my opinion is ugly. not trying to hate lol but just my opinion. her jumps and spins were really good though. you could tell gracie was nervous, her jumps didn't have the flow out like they usually do. she does need to step it up with choreography for next year and get some new music, but i don't dislike it. i think it's cool and unique and her dress is BEAUTIFUL. it's too bad she didn't have the flow on her jumps as she would have gotten higher goe's and made the gap between her and julia smaller. i hope she got the bugs out and can be more relaxed tomorrow and stay on the podium. adelina did well, but as with julia i can't stand her costume. wayyyy too much red. her jump landings were slightly iffy too, along with spins. but overall nice job for them all. christina did alright...watching her performance and seeing her placement/scoring, along with they last couple years she's placed 5th at nationals, i can see now that she just doesn't have that spark. everything is just there, there's nothing spectacular. i do think she has great air position, but other than that she has some work to do. anyone know how vanessa skated?

here's the ladies short program press conference, sorry if it's been posted already. they're all beautiful girls! julia is stunning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VJ3OTa3iM&feature=g-all&context=G2ddd5e2FAAAAAAAACAA

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just something to note. Regardless of how she medals at junior worlds, Gracie will be on the Team B funding envelope for USFS (U.S. Junior champion automatically gets into that level). That's one level up from her funding this year; in that case she will have extra funding which would enable her to spend more on choreography.

macy

Record Breaker
Just something to note. Regardless of how she medals at junior worlds, Gracie will be on the Team B funding envelope for USFS (U.S. Junior champion automatically gets into that level). That's one level up from her funding this year; in that case she will have extra funding which would enable her to spend more on choreography.

could you please explain the funding? i've always wondered about it and never knew how skaters get money from usfsa.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Shelepen's new costume makes her look so grown up. Like I barely recognized her. I do wonder if her jumps will never be that consistent considering her center of gravity is so high with those long, long legs of her's. Maybe it's the style of their costumes but she and Adelina both look taller and a lot more physically mature compared to last season. They are both beautiful, but no longer look like little girls out on the ice. Due to this I am not that surprised to see them both struggle here.

Watched Christina and Zijun and think they were both really good and should have scored higher. Oh well. Canadian girl is surprisingly really solid on jumps! Can she be the savior of Canadian ladies figure skating? Oh please skategods please.

Kelly

On the Ice
I like Christina Gao and since she's done with puberty I hope she will steadily improve her techniques, posture and presentation.
Her double axel looks better than before. But she needs a breakthrough to get the PCS she deserves.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
could you please explain the funding? i've always wondered about it and never knew how skaters get money from usfsa.

Basically, USFSA names skaters to different funding tiers — A B C — based on their performance at Nationals and in International competition. And within those tiers there are sub-tiers of 1 and 2.

Here are the requirements for 2012-2013. http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=350

p.s. does anyone know how Gracie managed to get Team C funding this year when she didn't even make Nationals nor competed internationally last year?

christinaskater

Medalist
Julia is very confident. She has the champion attitude!
I love Adelina as well! Very grounded, focused and an overall brilliant skater.
Gracie has improved leaps and bounds, she has a great position for the free skate. If she skates perfectly she could win Junior Worlds. She will most definitely have a great challenge especially from Julia who is simply on the top of her game.
I reckon being 2nd coming to the free for Gracie will certainly be an advantage for her for the free!

So good luck to all three ladies!

The ladies event is shaping up really well!

They all look gorgeous and all have that star factor!

Slowdive

On the Ice
I guess I'm the only one who actually likes Gracie Gold's music.
Sorry but I just don't see the appeal to Sotnikova's skating.
Perhaps that's a bit harsh considering her age however I do think she's a bit overrated on this board.

christinaskater

Medalist
I love Gracie's music as well!
I think Gracie has improved leaps and bounds compared to her first international outing. She is a brilliant competitor in my opinion.
She needs to continue to do more ballet, check her positions, video her performances and look at the small details in her choreography and transitions.
She will gain that musical maturity in the years to come. Her beauty is simply exceptional! These 3 girls have some of the most beautiful faces in skating.

Adelina is glorious- she is an incredible prodigy. From her transitions, musical interpretation and extension- she is a star! There are days when she does not connect to the music as much but when she is on, she is on. I guess the overall quality of her skating is simply one of the best. She is truly one of the best all around skaters in the moment.

christinaskater

Medalist
Satoko is also a star. She is beyond amazing. I also love Zijun, Christina and Have-Jin!
I love the footwork of Satoko and Zijun.
This is one of Christina's best programs ever- she was able to connect to the music really well!
The crowd her was fantastic!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone please explain to me how it is that Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya got no edge calls for flutzing, when both of them got dinged in all their JGP/GP events this season. Gao, Li, and Lam got edge calls---and the first two are close competitors to the Russian girls.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Can someone please explain to me how it is that Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya got no edge calls for flutzing, when both of them got dinged in all their JGP/GP events this season. Gao, Li, and Lam got edge calls---and the first two are close competitors to the Russian girls.

I don't think Lipnitskaya flutzed this time. It didn't look like it.

christinaskater

Medalist
I think it was almost a lutz, technically still a flutz.
Remember Julia has been one of the most consistent skaters for the year and she is a star in her own right.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it was almost a lutz, technically still a flutz.
Remember Julia has been one of the most consistent skaters for the year and she is a star in her own right.

"Star" or not, a flutz is a flutz is a flutz. Technical rules should be applied to all skaters, "stars" or not. Go check the protocols of Lipnitskaia's JGP events. She's gotten lots of "e"s. Why are she and Adelina immune at JW when they were dinged everywhere else?

macy

Record Breaker
Basically, USFSA names skaters to different funding tiers — A B C — based on their performance at Nationals and in International competition. And within those tiers there are sub-tiers of 1 and 2.

Here are the requirements for 2012-2013. http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=350

p.s. does anyone know how Gracie managed to get Team C funding this year when she didn't even make Nationals nor competed internationally last year?

thanks for the link. do you know how much skaters in each tier are awarded? or is that kept pretty confidential?