junior ice dance - Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

junior ice dance - Free Dance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I feel bad for Aldridge and Eaton because I get the sense already that Junior Worlds bronze will have an * cause of the sound system fiasco. That said, it seem they did the best they could (looks like they had the highest BV for their FD along with Sinitsina/Zhiganshin) so they still have plenty to be proud of regardless.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I feel bad for Aldridge and Eaton because I get the sense already that Junior Worlds bronze will have an * cause of the sound system fiasco. That said, it seem they did the best they could (looks like they had the highest BV for their FD along with Sinitsina/Zhiganshin) so they still have plenty to be proud of regardless.

maybe they can do a special skate off of A/E and Y/M for tommorow , lol

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How do you know the sound system was to blame? It is possible that the CD was defective.

If there were several instances of the music stopping during the competition the sound system is likely at fault. But when it's just one team's music, the more likely cause is a defective CD. Skaters are usually asked to supply at least two copies of their music in case of such a failure.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Actually, skaters supply 1 copy of their music when they check in and bring the second copy rink side just in case, but otherwise you are likely right on in that the fault lies with the CD unless there were a bunch of music issues.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
How do you know the sound system was to blame? It is possible that the CD was defective.

If there were several instances of the music stopping during the competition the sound system is likely at fault. But when it's just one team's music, the more likely cause is a defective CD. Skaters are usually asked to supply at least two copies of their music in case of such a failure.

Good point, but regardless, I don't think that will stop folks from noting that A/E would have been OTP if it wasn't for the mistake. But I guess that's competition, yes.

But in the end, A/E has been impressive this year. JGPF berth, Junior national champions and now junior world bronze medalists. It will be interesting how they compare in seniors next year. I think they will make the transition much better than Lichman and Copley did.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I read on another board that the reason the music stopped is that Mozgov's boot strap came loose and it had to be fixed---the sound system had NOTHING to do with it. Perhaps if he had taken the time to make sure his equipment was secure, the interruption wouldn't have happened. OR if Y/M were more seasoned performers, the interruption wouldn't have affected the way they skated the rest of their program.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I saw that too. And since no deduction was taken for the interruption, it actually gave them a chance to breathe. But they are so young. It takes a team like Rodnina Zaitsev to overcome this sort of stuff.

Congratulations to all the medallists, and especially to Aldridge & Eaton who have had a wonderful year, and have come such a long way since last year.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Wow, excellent levels for Orford/Williams, and a great finish for them. :D

I was just wondering if anyone could fill me in on what happened to Poulin/Servant? From their protocall, it looked like they fell on the first lift and the twizzles. Ouch. It's a shame, too, because their FD is actually a really good one this season.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I would be genuinely surprised if S/Z became the superstars Mao88 thinks. Kustorva was stunt their growth and her lack of political acumen will do them in. But as long as we're overhyping juniors the minute they step out on the ice....

Good for A/E. Asterix or not, it looks like they earned the medal.

Qasi

Spectator
Sinitsina and Zhiganshin are very talented I hope they change coach soon though, turning them into a Bobrova/Soloviev is a waste for a talented team
with Stepanova/Bukin and Ilinykh/Katsalapov hopefully will be the top 3 dance in Russia in the coming seasons

Hello, it is the first time I am posting here but I am wondering what is wrong with Kustarova and what is wrong with Bobrova/Soloviev?

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
Hello, it is the first time I am posting here but I am wondering what is wrong with Kustarova and what is wrong with Bobrova/Soloviev?

There's really polarized opinions on Bobrova Soloviev in this forum as well as other forums. The biggest criticism against them is that Ekaterina has really bad posture. Then people start to say opposite things. Some people hate them because they say that they are boring and don't do anything while others say that they are too over the top.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I read on another board that the reason the music stopped is that Mozgov's boot strap came loose and it had to be fixed---the sound system had NOTHING to do with it. Perhaps if he had taken the time to make sure his equipment was secure, the interruption wouldn't have happened. OR if Y/M were more seasoned performers, the interruption wouldn't have affected the way they skated the rest of their program.

It was mentioned in the IceNetwork article. My intital comment was based on the discussions on this board.

IN any case, I'm impressed with A/E and look forward to seeing how they develop over the next year.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Qasi, Welcome to Golden Skate. We hope you post long and often!

If you watch Bobrova any time she is skating backwards, her body is almost parallel to the ice. Consequently, many people do not like her posture, especially those fans who prefer the classical Russian style of Klimova & Ponomarenko.

If you are a fan of Bobrova & Soloviev, I hope you will try to convince us of her strengths.

Macassar, I don't find it contradictory that some folks find OTT drama boring-drama can be all the same after a while.

Edited because Pogue is right; I should have hit the multiquote button to be sure I was quoting the right person. Apologies, Pogue.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

If you watch Bobrova any time she is skating backwards, her body is almost parallel to the ice. Consequently, many people do not like her posture, especially those fans who prefer the classical Russian style of Klimova & Ponomarenko.

If you are a fan of Bobrova & Soloviev, I hope you will try to convince us of her strengths.

Pogue, I don't find it contradictory that some folks find OTT drama boring-drama can be all the same after a while.

This is a nitpick, but I feel this team, particularly Bobrova, has been packaged wrong this season. Their current version is much better than what we saw earlier this season. I liked their classy look from last year much better and I feel the OTT drama look they are showing this season actually made Bobrova's bad posture more glaring.

In hindsight, I can see they have improved this season -- but again the packaging makes it less obvious.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Welcome to GS. We all wish you post long and post often. :)

There's really polarized opinions on Bobrova Soloviev in this forum as well as other forums. The biggest criticism against them is that Ekaterina has really bad posture. Then people start to say opposite things. Some people hate them because they say that they are boring and don't do anything while others say that they are too over the top.

In addition to Macassar88's explanation, several of us posters began noticing Victoria SINITSINA and Anna YANOVSKAYA, two of the promising female ice dance students of Kustarova, also started showing bad posture similar to Bobrova. I also think that the Kustarova school does not present their skaters well. Specifically, I have been apalled at horrible cut and unbecoming color choices of their costumes, e.g., Bovrova's Halloween color scheme SD costume this year.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Pogue, I don't find it contradictory that some folks find OTT drama boring-drama can be all the same after a while.

Huh? All I said is that A/E earned their medal, and thought that people were overhyping S/Z

ETA: REading the thread, you meant Macassar88

1. Kustorova complains when her students don't do well. After the GPF, she complained that B/S weren't being marked fairly by the judges - she felt they should've been on par with V/M and D/W PCS/GOE wise. To me this is ridiculous. Ignoring personal opinions, the fact is, you don't complain when you feel your students are being undermarked. You work them hard, improve their flaws (the judges will give feedback here) and they do better. W/P are textbook examples of a team that did this, and are now reaping the benefits. People have been complaining about B/S and her posture for a while now, and this FD certainly hurts. When you complain, you don't look at what you can improve. You blame others. Then you stagnate. Joanne McLeod constantly complains about the treatment her students receive - Leung, Reynolds, Sandhu before, and overhypes them to high heaves (at the 2011 Nationals, she compared Nam Nguyen to Michelle Kwan and Yu Na Kim - I kid you not; she also complained that no one praised Reynolds for beating Chan in the SC short program. You know, the one where Chan fell three times and gave pangtongfan one of his favourite memes). She doesn't work on their flaws (hideous axel technique, tendency to underrotate, terrible packaging), they don't do well - it's not her fault. Blah blah blah. B/S have fallen into this trap. As Cara notes, we're seeing those flaws crop up again in her future skaters. Monko/Khaliavin actually just left (to Zhulin, I believe). I think they're the real ones to watch next season (this season would've been about them challenging, but his sickness took them away from the ice for too long).

2. I actually don't hate B/S. Honestly, I felt their 2010/2011 FD was one of my favourite programs of that season (and others found it really boring, but I thought that when well skated, it was fluid with some interesting shapes, particularly in the lifts). But in an effort to make them stand out from the Russian pack (and reaffirm their number on status), they've actually emphasized what's wrong about them. Packaging that is all about flair and distraction; poor posture gets exacerbated when she's playing an old crone (witch); the step sequences have absolutely no relationship with the music (in either FD or SD). It's actually quite remarkable how much this FD missed the boat, thinking about it.

Qasi

Spectator
Thanks for your repsonse dorispulaski and Mrs. P. I am interested because I have spent some time watching B/S train in Moscow and I find them very beautiful. I am not a technical expert and I can understand how some see them as OTT, although that is the Russian style, is it not? I also very much like the effortless acrobatism of their programs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for your repsonse dorispulaski and Mrs. P. I am interested because I have spent some time watching B/S train in Moscow and I find them very beautiful. I am not a technical expert and I can understand how some see them as OTT, although that is the Russian style, is it not? I also very much like the effortless acrobatism of their programs.

The tricks are great, but they have to work more on the basics. This is, again in hindsight, realized they improved greatly. But if you look at their feet they still deal with very shallow, not clean edges. There's also some unison issues and the twizzles, while cover a lot of ice, leaves a lot to be desired.

And I'm definitely not anti-OTT and I think some teams do it well. But in the case of this team, I feel like it showcases all their flaws, especially their FD (as Imaginary Pogue noted).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Because Bobrova is inconsistent
after all these seasons she is stil prone of falling down from a twizzle :laugh:

S/Z have talent, they set their goals and very ambitious
they have the possibility of having a successful transition into seniors.
Y/M ddi not medal but they have still many seasons as juniors Mozgov is only 16 and Yanovskaia 15