Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: junior ice dance - Free Dance

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Sinitsina and Zhiganshin are very talented I hope they change coach soon though, turning them into a Bobrova/Soloviev is a waste for a talented team
    with Stepanova/Bukin and Ilinykh/Katsalapov hopefully will be the top 3 dance in Russia in the coming seasons
    Hello, it is the first time I am posting here but I am wondering what is wrong with Kustarova and what is wrong with Bobrova/Soloviev?
    Last edited by Qasi; 03-02-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qasi View Post
    Hello, it is the first time I am posting here but I am wondering what is wrong with Kustarova and what is wrong with Bobrova/Soloviev?
    There's really polarized opinions on Bobrova Soloviev in this forum as well as other forums. The biggest criticism against them is that Ekaterina has really bad posture. Then people start to say opposite things. Some people hate them because they say that they are boring and don't do anything while others say that they are too over the top.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I read on another board that the reason the music stopped is that Mozgov's boot strap came loose and it had to be fixed---the sound system had NOTHING to do with it. Perhaps if he had taken the time to make sure his equipment was secure, the interruption wouldn't have happened. OR if Y/M were more seasoned performers, the interruption wouldn't have affected the way they skated the rest of their program.
    It was mentioned in the IceNetwork article. My intital comment was based on the discussions on this board.

IN any case, I'm impressed with A/E and look forward to seeing how they develop over the next year.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Qasi, Welcome to Golden Skate. We hope you post long and often!

If you watch Bobrova any time she is skating backwards, her body is almost parallel to the ice. Consequently, many people do not like her posture, especially those fans who prefer the classical Russian style of Klimova & Ponomarenko.

If you are a fan of Bobrova & Soloviev, I hope you will try to convince us of her strengths.

Macassar, I don't find it contradictory that some folks find OTT drama boring-drama can be all the same after a while.

Edited because Pogue is right; I should have hit the multiquote button to be sure I was quoting the right person. Apologies, Pogue.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-03-2012 at 03:09 AM.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

If you watch Bobrova any time she is skating backwards, her body is almost parallel to the ice. Consequently, many people do not like her posture, especially those fans who prefer the classical Russian style of Klimova & Ponomarenko.

If you are a fan of Bobrova & Soloviev, I hope you will try to convince us of her strengths.

Pogue, I don't find it contradictory that some folks find OTT drama boring-drama can be all the same after a while.
    This is a nitpick, but I feel this team, particularly Bobrova, has been packaged wrong this season. Their current version is much better than what we saw earlier this season. I liked their classy look from last year much better and I feel the OTT drama look they are showing this season actually made Bobrova's bad posture more glaring.

In hindsight, I can see they have improved this season -- but again the packaging makes it less obvious.

Custom Title
    Welcome to GS. We all wish you post long and post often.

Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    There's really polarized opinions on Bobrova Soloviev in this forum as well as other forums. The biggest criticism against them is that Ekaterina has really bad posture. Then people start to say opposite things. Some people hate them because they say that they are boring and don't do anything while others say that they are too over the top.
    In addition to Macassar88's explanation, several of us posters began noticing Victoria SINITSINA and Anna YANOVSKAYA, two of the promising female ice dance students of Kustarova, also started showing bad posture similar to Bobrova. I also think that the Kustarova school does not present their skaters well. Specifically, I have been apalled at horrible cut and unbecoming color choices of their costumes, e.g., Bovrova's Halloween color scheme SD costume this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Pogue, I don't find it contradictory that some folks find OTT drama boring-drama can be all the same after a while.
    Huh? All I said is that A/E earned their medal, and thought that people were overhyping S/Z

ETA: REading the thread, you meant Macassar88

1. Kustorova complains when her students don't do well. After the GPF, she complained that B/S weren't being marked fairly by the judges - she felt they should've been on par with V/M and D/W PCS/GOE wise. To me this is ridiculous. Ignoring personal opinions, the fact is, you don't complain when you feel your students are being undermarked. You work them hard, improve their flaws (the judges will give feedback here) and they do better. W/P are textbook examples of a team that did this, and are now reaping the benefits. People have been complaining about B/S and her posture for a while now, and this FD certainly hurts. When you complain, you don't look at what you can improve. You blame others. Then you stagnate. Joanne McLeod constantly complains about the treatment her students receive - Leung, Reynolds, Sandhu before, and overhypes them to high heaves (at the 2011 Nationals, she compared Nam Nguyen to Michelle Kwan and Yu Na Kim - I kid you not; she also complained that no one praised Reynolds for beating Chan in the SC short program. You know, the one where Chan fell three times and gave pangtongfan one of his favourite memes). She doesn't work on their flaws (hideous axel technique, tendency to underrotate, terrible packaging), they don't do well - it's not her fault. Blah blah blah. B/S have fallen into this trap. As Cara notes, we're seeing those flaws crop up again in her future skaters. Monko/Khaliavin actually just left (to Zhulin, I believe). I think they're the real ones to watch next season (this season would've been about them challenging, but his sickness took them away from the ice for too long).

2. I actually don't hate B/S. Honestly, I felt their 2010/2011 FD was one of my favourite programs of that season (and others found it really boring, but I thought that when well skated, it was fluid with some interesting shapes, particularly in the lifts). But in an effort to make them stand out from the Russian pack (and reaffirm their number on status), they've actually emphasized what's wrong about them. Packaging that is all about flair and distraction; poor posture gets exacerbated when she's playing an old crone (witch); the step sequences have absolutely no relationship with the music (in either FD or SD). It's actually quite remarkable how much this FD missed the boat, thinking about it.

Rinkside
    Thanks for your repsonse dorispulaski and Mrs. P. I am interested because I have spent some time watching B/S train in Moscow and I find them very beautiful. I am not a technical expert and I can understand how some see them as OTT, although that is the Russian style, is it not? I also very much like the effortless acrobatism of their programs.

skating philosopher
    Thanks for your repsonse dorispulaski and Mrs. P. I am interested because I have spent some time watching B/S train in Moscow and I find them very beautiful. I am not a technical expert and I can understand how some see them as OTT, although that is the Russian style, is it not? I also very much like the effortless acrobatism of their programs.
    The tricks are great, but they have to work more on the basics. This is, again in hindsight, realized they improved greatly. But if you look at their feet they still deal with very shallow, not clean edges. There's also some unison issues and the twizzles, while cover a lot of ice, leaves a lot to be desired.

And I'm definitely not anti-OTT and I think some teams do it well. But in the case of this team, I feel like it showcases all their flaws, especially their FD (as Imaginary Pogue noted).

Banned
    Because Bobrova is inconsistent
    after all these seasons she is stil prone of falling down from a twizzle

S/Z have talent, they set their goals and very ambitious
    they have the possibility of having a successful transition into seniors.
    Y/M ddi not medal but they have still many seasons as juniors Mozgov is only 16 and Yanovskaia 15

Banned
    This is going to get ugly
    Kustarova is complaining already of what happened and Y/M deserved the bronze medal.

looks like it might have been the boot cd problem
    sorry just translated via google,

from Kustarova
    "It's a shame that there was a story with straps - admitted Kustarova correspondent of the" F-Sport. "- The guys skated well, go for a medal, but the judges scores for the strap was removed because it is a violation of the rules. But it is a sport in which anything can happen . Well, it's now happened to them. When the fight is to be conducted in the first place, rather than the third, they will be careful. Yes, and we will check the suits - pants, hooks and all the other details. "
    whole article: http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/...582391119.html

The ISU article on the competition says that Y&M's music was stopped because he had a broken boot strap.

Banned
    ^

yeah it was, and I don't see how she has to complain Yanovskaia(15) and Mozgov(16) are still very young , they have have many more seasons left to compete as juniors, and I'm sure they'll be comfortably on the podium at junior worlds in the coming seasons.

Custom Title
    Last edited by Mao88; 03-04-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Thank you Mao88 !!! and of course, thanks to whomever uploaded the videos!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast