Julia Lipnitskaia: One of the rising queens of Skating! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Julia Lipnitskaia: One of the rising queens of Skating!

oleada

Record Breaker
I think she's a lovely skater. What I love even more is that you can tell she is really driven and WANTS to win.

Regardless of what happens with the puberty monster, this season has been a terrific achievement. To win everything by such margin and not to make a single mistake....wow.

Here's a podium pic of Gracie, Julia and Adelina. Julia is not that much shorter than Adelina:

http://twitpic.com/8rlkum

Vash01

Medalist
She is a great 13yo athlete. All the top young Russian ladies are. Sasha's beauty and artistry are still unmatched. I highly doubt that Julia will rise to meet this challenge and I have no idea where anyone sees a similarity to Cohen from what I have seen.

When I first saw Sasha skate, she was 15. Julia is just 13. Neither had well developed artistry at a young age, but they both had great flexibility and tons of potential. I am guessing that you are comparing an older Sasha with this 13 year old amazing skater. She may or may not retain her jumps after she grows up, but right now she has all the tools, including jumps, spins, flexibility, mental toughness, to be a force. At age 15, Sasha was nothing more than a cute, flexible skater with a lot of potential. That's what Julia is right now, and she has more jumps than Sasha did back then. She is also beautiful watch, if you watch her objectively. She seems to have more confidence and she has been incredibly consistent this year. She has made just one minor error on a jump, the entire season. I am not going to make any predictions based on one season for Julia, but I really hope she can retain her jumps. I am sure she will develop artistically as she matures, and she has already shown very good artistry for her young age. She seems to have the mental toughness to deliver under pressure. Oh, and she did remind me of Sasha when I saw her skate a couple of times during the JGP, but now I have to say she has stronger nerves. You highly doubt that she will match Sasha's artistry? She is only 13. I see no reason why she cannot, by the time she is 18.

Vash01

Medalist
Julia actually has musicality, she just needs to not rush her transitions on her elements
with good choreography she is capable of more artistry

All young skaters rush their moves, so it's not surprising. Oksana Baiul and Michelle Kwan were the only young skaters that did not do that, but I am talking of them at age 15. Julia is just 13, so it's totally understandable.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She has great potential but she is too young to say she will survive the puberty monster, the amazing competition in Russia. She still skates like a young girl and I am not even sure age wise if she can qualify for Sochi that being said if she is being marked fairly then her scores could put her on the seniors podium right now if she could enter. It will be interesting to see if she can fully develop or will she lose her jump consistency. Still she is flexible and has that sasha cohen look - will it stay? Will she get more power and flow? Time will tell.

seniorita

Record Breaker
She is eligible for Sochi yes.
And she had a fantastic juniors season, I dont like to speculate what will happen in the future, cause in the discipline she skates now, she rocked it, so I ll just celebrate that, I remember the videos I had seen whole two years ago when she was 11, and now she is competing and winning all things <3, why should future ruin this?

lavender

Record Breaker
Julia is pretty awesome at 13 but I'm going to sit back and see how this plays out with puberty. Puberty affects not only the body but it also affects the mind as someone mention. I think I'm almost more interested in their mindset and how they handle change.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Sasha's artistry is unmatched? Please, she wasnt even the most artistic skater of her own era, Michelle Kwan was, which is why even a clean Sasha could never beat a clean Michelle, despite that Michelle didnt do anymore jump content, any better spirals, and had weaker spins. The hype machine over 0 imporant titles Sasha will never die.

Julia is an amazing young talent. As for being compared to Sasha I agree there is no comparision. She is more artistic at 13 than Sasha was at 15 or even 17, has much better basic skating, and actually has great jumping technique and competitive nerve. A better comparision would be that she looks like a young Katia Gordeeva but with more athletic talent for singles jumping. She will be a great champion if the puberty monster doesnt get her.

lavender

Record Breaker
Nice pic of all three. Adelina always looks so happy on the podium no matter what position. Plus at least she's happy with the bronze. She takes this season as a learning experience. Good head on her shoulders.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It looks like Gracie has grown since the fall, too. She and Adelina both list their heights as 163 cm on their isu bios, but Gracie looks at least 5 cm taller than Adelina in that photo. Julia lists herself as 151 cm, and she looks closer to Adelina than that.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Gracie hasn't grown since the fall. Alex O keeps tabs on her height pretty closely and has stated quite definitively that it appears she's stopped growing (much to his relief). :)

Sasha's artistry is unmatched? Please, she wasnt even the most artistic skater of her own era...

Sasha was a unique talent that will be remembered (thanks to youtube) long after many other World medalists have been forgotten. Love her or not-so-much, her performances were riveting. Eye-popping and enchanting both at once. :yes:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Sasha was a unique talent that will be remembered (thanks to youtube) long after many other World medalists have been forgotten. Love her or not-so-much, her performances were riveting. Eye-popping and enchanting both at once. :yes:

She is forgotten already. Only Americans even remember her, and that is only since most Americans cant stand the skating of Hughes (and Tara already seems like forever ago) so she is still the 2nd most known or liked American in recent memory after Michelle. Once some more American stars emerge, she will be forgotten even in the U.S.

shine

Record Breaker
She is forgotten already. Only Americans even remember her, and that is only since most Americans cant stand the skating of Hughes (and Tara already seems like forever ago) so she is still the 2nd most known or liked American in recent memory after Michelle. Once some more American stars emerge, she will be forgotten even in the U.S.
I was never the biggest Cohen fan, but are you kidding? She basically influenced a whole generation of young female skaters to really focus on improving their lines and flexibility.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I was never the biggest Cohen fan, but are you kidding? She basically influenced a whole generation of young female skaters to really focus on improving their lines and flexibility.

Really? Like who exactly. Even in the U.S other than Nagasu and Zhang none of the young Americans that have come up since 2004 are particularly flexible or have strong lines. The young Russians dont bore any real resemblance to her skating style (as already admited in this thread), nor do any of the younger Asians or up and coming Europeans since that point. The flexability moves that exist are required by COP, which was not invented for Cohen but in fact many speculated it was catered to suit Slutskaya's skating, and emphasize the differences in her skating compared to Hughes.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do think a lot of skaters are influenced by Sasha. Look at the ubiquity of the I-spin. The young Russian skaters all kind of look like her in body type, since she retained her young-girl figure throughout her competitive career. So it is no surprise that they are compared to her. If they are not watching her for her superior body lines and overall artistry, they should be. Of course, Sasha also had some things that the new generation of baby ballerinas do not, such as a beautiful layback position and a gorgeous spiral. I do not think she will be forgotten.

shine

Record Breaker
Really? Like who exactly. Even in the U.S other than Nagasu and Zhang none of the young Americans that have come up since 2004 are particularly flexible or have strong lines. The young Russians dont bore any real resemblance to her skating style (as already admited in this thread), nor do any of the younger Asians or up and coming Europeans since that point. The flexability moves that exist are required by COP, which was not invented for Cohen but in fact many speculated it was catered to suit Slutskaya's skating, and emphasize the differences in her skating compared to Hughes.
Ever since Cohen became a prominent world medal contender, we started to see a trend in ladies skating where skaters are focusing a lot more on achieving good lines and exntension, as well as hitting positions like the 180-degree (or close to) spirals, the fan spiral, I-spins etc, and also the "good" layback spin. Of course there were other ladies who were good in this area, but it wasn't as much of an emphasis in ladies skating before Cohen came along IMO. I think the definition for aethetics in ladies skating has somewhat shifted to be primarily defined by good lines and extension since then. Flexibility is almost a must now compared to before. She has raised the bar, so to speak. I can't recall exactly who but I remember reading many skaters naming Cohen as their favourite skater. As for who has been influenced--the two skaters you mentioned are definite examples. Domestically there are also Bebe Liang, Ashley Wagner, Kiri Baga, Nina Jiang, Leah Keiser etc. Arakawa was also doing a spiral with much more amplitude by 2004 than she did around 2000, as well as her ultra-bendy Ina Bauer. Also I believe Asada herself has been influenced by Sasha, as well as Yukina Ota and Elene Gedevanishvilli. As for the young Russian skaters, regardless what they say, I think they are directly or indirectly shaped by the trend that was started by Sasha. The young Russian skaters all appear to pay a lot of attention to leg lines and flexibility, which wasn't really considered a tradition of the Russian ladies skating before (which mostly focused on power and big jumps). Stylistically speaking, IMO Cohen and Kim have been two of the most influential ladies skaters in the past decade.

Last edited: