Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Junior Ladies: Long Program

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Gracie has never been at a major ISU event before-so yes, she may not know the protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Nobody was arguing that Sasha had better jumps or consistency than Julia. The point was that she had more artistry even at an early age. And yes, star quality.

BUT - I just watched Julia's FS and it's the best I've seen from her by a long shot. She finishes everything off with such beautiful arm and hand movements. Hopefully soon she'll point her toes in the layback! Anybody want to bet she'll be doing Swan Lake next year?
    These were exactly my thoughts- that I felt she must have REALLY been working with someone on her arms between Russian Junior Nationals and now. I am a huge fan of Julia so I liked her program very much before but I think this is the first time I've seen her in a while where I was really WOWED by her now that I am kind of 'over' her flexibility.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 3T3T View Post
    Just watched the Top 4 in the free. I really enjoyed Lipnitskaya, she was a deserved winner. I like the use of her flexibility, I though the music and choreography worked well. I didn't realise Morozov was involved.

Gold has great jumps, high and powerfull but other aspects are a bit lacking yet but she has time to work on that. I did think she was a bit overmarked in the PCS elements. Sotnikova had a programme of two halves, first part very impressive and then she seemed to lose focus and then came the stumbles and fall. I like her as a skater, she has had a difficult season but she has come through it in one piece.

I like Shelpen, she does two 3/3 combos, and she went for it. She had a lot riding on this and it may have been enough to guarantee a spot for Senior Worlds. I think she was a bit undermarked compared to 2nd and 3rd. I definitely would not have Gold ahead of her on PCS.

All the skaters have been very well received by the crowd, which seemed fairly sizeable, they got behind all the skaters.
    I agree 3T3T.

The Russian ladies now have great presentation to go along with the difficult jumps. I think even Miyahara was pretty impressive but I think Gracie will improve. I've already seen the improvement in the short which was a better vehicle for her imo. I'm liking Gracie more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    These were exactly my thoughts- that I felt she must have REALLY been working with someone on her arms between Russian Junior Nationals and now. I am a huge fan of Julia so I liked her program very much before but I think this is the first time I've seen her in a while where I was really WOWED by her now that I am kind of 'over' her flexibility.
    Agree with everything you say, tulosai, I see an improvement.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I haven't seen Shelepen in a while and she's turned into quite the little diva. I love the way she goes up from a donut to a downward-looking Biellman as if it were nothing. I hope she gets to go to Worlds.

Christina Gao started beautifully with her 3F-3T but struggled in the second half of the program and ran out of steam after 2-footing the loop. She's matured a lot artistically but not quite enough to pull off this tango (which at the beginning of the season I thought would be fantastic). She's so striking with those endless limbs and that exotically beautiful face, but doesn't have much style yet. I wonder how she would do with a classical piece that has both beauty and some modern angularity, like Prokofiev's 1st violin concerto or the Franck violin sonata. I keep rooting for her.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 03-04-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Custom Title

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Videos - Ladies Free Skate (Updated: Eurosport & Other TV Versions Where Available)

1. Julia LIPNITSKAYA - Long Program (RUS) (FS = 1st), LP - 2nd Copy and Short Program

2. Gracie GOLD - Long Program (USA) (FS = 2nd) and Short Program

3. Adelina SOTNIKOVA - Long Program (RUS) (FS = 3rd) and Short Program

4. Satoko MIYAHARA - Long Program (JPN) (FS = 6th) and Short Program

5. Zijun LI - Long Program (CHN) (FS = 5th) and Short Program

6. Polina SHELEPEN - Long Program (RUS) (FS = 4th) and Short Program

7. Christina GAO - Long Program (USA) (FS = 7th) and Short Program

8. Hae-Jin KIM - Long Program (KOR) (FS = 8th) and Short Program

10. Kaetlyn OSMOND - Long Program (CAN) (FS = 10th) and Short Program

12. Miu SATO - Long Program (JPN) (FS = 12th) and Short Program

20. Risa SHOJI - Long Program (JPN) (FS = 22nd) and Short Program
    I have always enjoyed the juniors far more than the seniors-and it looks like a great deal of talent is moving in! Thank you for the vids, I deeply appreciate it! I was IMPRESSED (sorry Nadine) with this crop of skaters-but I love huge jumps. My only 'ewww' is for the Red Getup....hated it and found it distracting. Yes, all of the skaters need a bit of polish, but the raw athletic talent is fun to watch, and it is something I have missed from the seniors for quite some time. (Perhaps since Yuna and Mao when they were juniors.....)
    Last edited by katymay; 03-04-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: additional comment

the top three are absolutely gorgeous girls, wow. such beauty.

julia is definitely a star as so many other people have said. what a great way to cap off her perfect season. her jumps were great. she does need more polishing and i think her axel technique may cause her problems as she grows, she doesn't jump up, she jumps in. her free leg doesn't lift up. although she shows nice pointed toes in her spirals, i would like to see the same on her landings and in some spin positions, and some harder triple-triples. along with a different choreographer. she did look a little slow on camera, although i don't know what she looks like in real life. she definitely deserved to win the title, but i think she was overscored in PCS. the real question will be how she will hold up in the next few years against skaters like gracie and adelina who have gone through their growth spurts. it will be interesting to say the least.

i am so happy for gracie and proud of her. she went from being virtually unknown to junior world silver medalist in a season. she has so much to be proud of, especially being this was only her second international competition and she was able to keep her head on her shoulders and stay focused. i hope she can carry that into the future when she moves up to senior. her jump technique is so solid, you just know she's going to land them. she also needs polishing, but she is fast and has the technical side of it. i don't think her artistry is bad, i actually think she expresses with her arms very well in her long program, but it isn't up to it's full potential. i think a new choreographer would help her in the future. i think both of her programs played to her strengths this year and i'm so excited what her programs will be like next year, along with julia's.

the first half of adelina's program was absolutely perfect, then the second went downhill...she must have lost focus after the first mistake. she is definitely the most mature of the bunch, and i noticed her skating matured a lot from last year, probably because she had to for seniors. i hope she takes this year as a learning experience, being it her first year as a senior, and not let it get to her negatively. i hope she can regroup and get herself together in the off season.

polina did a nice job, but she just doesn't stand out to me. i think she's really boring even though she has the jumps. like someone else said, i almost wanted to fast forward through her program.

does anyone have a video of the ladies medal ceremony or LP press conference?

Custom Title
    I noticed Julia's axel technique as well. Reminds me of Tara Lipinski's technique. But she gets the job done, although all the positive GOE's are puzzling.

Custom Title
    CBC has the Junior Worlds on line. I don't know if it's geoblocked.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...05468834&tab=3

Custom Title
    Videos - Ladies Free Skate (Updated: Eurosport & Other TV Versions Where Available)

1. Julia LIPNITSKAYA - Long Program (RUS) (FS = 1st), LP - 2nd Copy and Short Program

2. Gracie GOLD - Long Program (USA) (FS = 2nd), LP - 2nd Copy and Short Program

3. Adelina SOTNIKOVA - Long Program (RUS) (FS = 3rd), LP - 2nd Copy and Short Program

4. Satoko MIYAHARA - Long Program (JPN) (FS = 6th) and Short Program

5. Zijun LI - Long Program (CHN) (FS = 5th) and Short Program

6. Polina SHELEPEN - Long Program (RUS) (FS = 4th) and Short Program

7. Christina GAO - Long Program (USA) (FS = 7th) and Short Program

8. Hae-Jin KIM - Long Program (KOR) (FS = 8th) and Short Program

10. Kaetlyn OSMOND - Long Program (CAN) (FS = 10th) and Short Program

12. Miu SATO - Long Program (JPN) (FS = 12th) and Short Program

20. Risa SHOJI - Long Program (JPN) (FS = 22nd) and Short Program

Adding links to some better quality new videos of Gracie's and Adelina's free skates.
    Last edited by Mao88; 03-04-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Custom Title
    I think Salome would be a good choice for her next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post

Christina Gao started beautifully with her 3F-3T but struggled in the second half of the program and ran out of steam after 2-footing the loop. She's matured a lot artistically but not quite enough to pull off this tango (which at the beginning of the season I thought would be fantastic). She's so striking with those endless limbs and that exotically beautiful face, but doesn't have much style yet. I wonder how she would do with a classical piece that has both beauty and some modern angularity, like Prokofiev's 1st violin concerto or the Franck violin sonata. I keep rooting for her.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Goodness. That would certainly test her (as yet non-existent) dramatic abilities! Has anyone ever skated to that before?

Custom Title
    Congratulations to all the medalists!

Also thanks a lot, guys for video links.
    Looking forward to seeing these videos later today.

I have not read all the comments with 17 pages long...but what happened to Risa???
    I know Risa has problems to UR calls, flutz, slow spins, etc. but was surprised to see her as low as 20th at this particular competition.
    She was so promising last season when she made a 'splash' to win her first Jr. Grand Prix event in Japan and then placed 5th at the Nationals.

Great upcoming talents. Looking forward to seeing them grow in their skills and performances.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    I have not read all the comments with 17 pages long...but what happened to Risa???
    I know Risa has problems to UR calls, flutz, slow spins, etc. but was surprised to see her as low as 20th at this particular competition.
    She was so promising last season when she made a 'splash' to win her first Jr. Grand Prix event in Japan and then placed 5th at the Nationals.
    According to Japanese TV broadcast, she was injured right foot.
    I like her skating. I pray that her injury heal faster.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast