Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Junior Ladies: Long Program

Custom Title
    I'm very happy for Gracie, what a great way to debut on the international arena at Junior Worlds! Now, she needs some polish to compete in the top tier in Seniors, so hopefully she'll concentrate on her presentation skills and putting together programs with better choreography and artistic impression. She also needs to bring to competition the jumps she shows in practice - great speed, ice coverage, and height. With all those elements in place she'll be a medal contender for 2013 Worlds and Sochi in 2014. Keep up the good work Gracie!

Custom Title
    Julia did 2A+3T+2T and then 2A+3T again. Good as they were, it seemed just a repetition of the same skill, not as impressive as Gracie's 3Lz+3T and then 2A+3T.

^ agreed. you'd think she'd be under more pressure in the short to do a 3T+3T, not in the fs, where she chooses to do the same combination basically...

Custom Title
    Lipnitskaya continues to establish herself! Very impressive! Though, honestly, she skates to 'Dark Eyes' for the SP and 'R&J' for the LP and is annoyed people compare her to Sasha??? Yeah girl, why don't you take that up with the people who picked your music instead of with the people that make the comparisons Otoh I don't think she looks like Sasha at all on the ice.

And Gracie is living up to the hype.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Lipnitskaya continues to establish herself! Very impressive! Though, honestly, she skates to 'Dark Eyes' for the SP and 'R&J' for the LP and is annoyed people compare her to Sasha???
    LOL. She doesn't really remind me of Sasha either - she's not anything like that artistic. But her aplomb and overall excellence are remarkable.

It's interesting to recall that Caroline Zhang dominated juniors this same way in 2006-07. I really hope Julia's physical maturing is not as difficult as Caroline's.

Congrats to Julia, Gracie, and Adelina. Any videos, anyone?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Polina Shelepen - great comeback. Finished 4th in the FS and 6th overall. She may just get into senior worlds on the back of that

Don't know if that is a good idea to send her. If she bombs SP at Worlds like that, there may not be such comeback cause she could not qualify for LP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Here are the protocols

Thanks for the link!

WOW, to Shelepen for doing TWO 3/3 combos., just WOW! 3Z/3T & 3S/3T, reminds me of Sarah Hughes two beautiful 3/3 combos. (both ending in 3loops btw) at the 2002 Olympics.

And then another WOW to Adelina going for the 3Z/3R, but she honestly should just go for the 3Z/3T because she gets -GOE on the loop part, isn't able to fully rotate it, unlike Tara Lipinski & Caroline Zhang. More reminiscent of another magnificent Russian jumper, Irina Slutskaya, whom was never able to fully rotate the 3R part of her 3/3R combos. :(

I say take a note from Gracie Gold, whom got ALL +GOE on her 3Z/3T combo.

What a foundation, and what great jumpers these three are, I can only imagine what treasures are in store for them when they enter seniors. The world is their oyster when one has the jumps, presentation is easier to come by, but not jumps, not jumps...

Can't wait till next season, finally, SENIORS!!!!! BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    LOL. She doesn't really remind me of Sasha either - she's not anything like that artistic. But her aplomb and overall excellence are remarkable.
    Yeah cause IMO Sasha actually skated to the music and actually projected to the audience. When I watch Julia, I feel nothing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Julia did 2A+3T+2T and then 2A+3T again. Good as they were, it seemed just a repetition of the same skill, not as impressive as Gracie's 3Lz+3T and then 2A+3T.
    Julia can obviously do a 3/3, as she did in the SP. The problem isn't Julia but the system that gives little incentive for doing tougher combinations, especially in the FS.

A 3/3 in the SP is a huge point advantage in increasing your base value. But in the FS, since 3/3s are not rewarded in the base value over 2A/3T (a tough combination, but not as tough as a 3/3), she chooses to go for an easier combination that she can repeat twice.

If Julia were to go for the 3T/3T in the FS, that means she can't do another 2A/3T since she's already repeated the 3T. What she needs is a tougher 3/3 in the FS and then keep her 2A/3T (preferably in the second half). Her layout worked fine for her this year, obviously, since she won every competition internationally. But the system needs to reward difficult combinations.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    She doesn't really remind me of Sasha either - she's not anything like that artistic.
    Agreed. Julia's arm/hand movements in the SP, albeit soft and gentle, looked like squirming snakes. I couldn't tell if it was her choreographer's fault or not.

You have to consider Julia is very young, her interpretation of the music will probably get better in the next few years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    Yeah cause IMO Sasha actually skated to the music and actually projected to the audience. When I watch Julia, I feel nothing.
    she is 13 years old. get over it
    she will improve as she matures

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    Yes - I like Julia very much but Sasha made something amazing out of her programs - each one was a polished gem. ETA: And she was already doing that at 14 (don't know about 13).Julia just does one thing, then another thing. She has all the basics though, including grace, so I'm more hopeful about her developing artistry than Gracie... but then I'm no good at predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    she is 13 years old. get over it
    she will improve as she matures
    it's my opinion and no i don't have to get over it. at 13 Sasha had better presentation skills too. you're allowed your opinion and i will have mine
    Last edited by DobrinFan; 03-03-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Custom Title
    By the way, if anybody has the links to the videos it would be awesome if you post them here

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast