Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Junior Men-Long Program

Custom Title
    So the only medalist I get to watch is Joshua Farris and I really like what I see. In fact, I like it better than what Rippon and Brown have shown me. He seems to be all round and able to bring it at the big event. Hopefully he will be just as cool for the Seniors'.

Great post Art&Sport

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    So the only medalist I get to watch is Joshua Farris and I really like what I see. In fact, I like it better than what Rippon and Brown have shown me. He seems to be all round and able to bring it at the big event. Hopefully he will be just as cool for the Seniors'.
    ITA. He is a very complete skater and in that sense he is similar to Abbott, or a Rippon with a much better 3a. Krall and Allen are doing a great job with Josh and I think training with Patrick Chan really inspires him to work hard and do well. It seems they all encourage his resilience and prevent him from getting too down on himself when he makes mistakes. Also, it was said that Josh trained VERY hard for and was very focused going into this competition after being disappointed with how he skated at Nationals, and his scores and medal here show his hard work really paid off, and that is very promising. To go from 16th at Nationals with 197 to 2nd at Junior Worlds with 221 in 6 weeks is really impressive.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    ITA. He is a very complete skater and in that sense he is similar to Abbott, or a Rippon with a much better 3a. Krall and Allen are doing a great job with Josh and I think training with Patrick Chan really inspires him to work hard and do well. It seems they all encourage his resilience and prevent him from getting too down on himself when he makes mistakes. Also, it was said that Josh trained VERY hard for and was very focused going into this competition after being disappointed with how he skated at Nationals, and his scores and medal here show his hard work really paid off, and that is very promising. To go from 16th at Nationals with 197 to 2nd at Junior Worlds with 221 in 6 weeks is really impressive.
    I really like Joshua too. He could have won JGPF except for a couple of falls (the fall on footwork was very out of the ordinary). And, Josh nearly won here at Jr. Worlds as well. At JGPF, Jason was the most consistent of the men and his other amazing attributes helped put him on top when both Josh and Han made more errors there than they made at Jr. Worlds.

Josh is a well-rounded and very elegant skater. In Josh's case, it did wonders for him to switch from Tom Z. to Krall and Allen, w/o having to leave Colorado. To come back from a disappointing showing at Nats definitely shows Josh's mettle and confidence. I would echo that for Jason too, since his miscues at the tail end of his fp at Nats obviously did not follow him either. Jason was able to take from that Nats experience and keep moving forward, and he was able to maintain his amazing consistency.

I am very supportive of all the U.S. guys -- they are all quite wonderful, and I'd love to see them all progress and be successful. The sport truly needs to rethink and adjust to the amazing depth of these athletes. They all (especially the men in U.S. and Japan) need more opportunities to shine.

Custom Title
    ^^ Great post Art&Sport ! All great points, and I agree about the US and Japan (and now Russia and maybe China soon too) needing more chances to showcase their broad spectrum of talents.

Custom Title
    Congratulations to the medalists!

I've only seen Joshua Farris's FS posted on youtube, is anybody able to find Yan Han and Jason Brown's?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I haven't found it yet.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Not so far

Custom Title
    Videos - Men's Free Skate (Updated - using TV versions where available)

1. Han YAN - Long Program (CHN) (FS = 1st) and Short Program

2. Joshua FARRIS - Long Program (USA) (FS = 2nd) and Short Program

3. Jason BROWN - Long Program (USA) (FS = 3rd) and Short Program

4. Denis TEN - Long Program (KAZ) (FS = 4th) and Short Program

5. Zhan BUSH - Long Program (RUS) (FS = 6th) and Short Program

8. Liam FIRUS - Long Program (CAN) (FS = 8th) and Short Program

9. Ryuju HINO - Long Program (JPN) (FS = 9th) and Short Program

13. Nam NGUYEN - Long Program (CAN) (FS = 11th) and Short Program

14. Artur DMITRIEV - Long Program (RUS) (FS = 15th) and Short Program
    Last edited by Mao88; 03-04-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Custom Title
    ^thanks so much for all of these!

Custom Title
    After watching the programs, all I can say is that both Jason and Joshua are wonderful! I hope to applaud their triumphs in the future.

Custom Title
    I absolutely adore Jason 3 axel or not. I love, love his music and his program. I'm also proud of Rohene Ward. He didn't make a big splash as a skater but I think he's a wonderful choreographer.
    Last edited by lavender; 03-04-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Custom Title
    Quality at this junior worlds, in all disciplines really, was really high. So many great talents coming up across all the disciplines and I can't wait to see them all develop in the future!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    I absolutely adore Jason 3 axel or not. I love, love his music and his program. I'm also proud of Rohene Ward. He didn't make a big splash as a skater but I think he's a wonderful choreographer.
    ITA lavender -- great choice of music and wonderful choreography. The music and choreo enhance Jason's exceptional qualities, and I can see a lot of Rohene's movement influences. I have to say that Rohene is a great skater who was never able to break through in eligible competition for a variety of reasons (some I think economic and training-related, plus he had a tendency to breakdown in competition perhaps due to a combination of nerves and lack of sufficient training time and endurance). I'm glad Rohene is now skating professionally (I believe aboard cruise ships or in shows in Europe), and that he has found another great outlet to express his creativity and uniqueness within the skating world through his choreography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrWu...eature=related In this 2007 clip you can see Rohene's brilliance and his weaknesses from lack of endurance (likely due to a lack of sufficient funds for training time)

More recent Rohene clips below re professional audition tapes -- amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA27G...eature=related many choreographic moves seen in Jason's programs are evident here and so natural apparently to both Rohene's and Jason's movement styles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC1-h...eature=related fantastic spin positions -- esp. superb laybacks; all the jumps -- he jumps in both directions and Rohene has a gorgeous 3-axel

***BTW, can anyone who understands and/or speaks French, translate what the commentators were saying about Jason and his fp performance? Sounds like they really liked him.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 03-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Custom Title
    I just looked at Han's fp at Jr. Worlds for the first time. This young man has some exceptional SS and fantastic elements. It is scary to think how good he can be with better choreography and development of musical interpretation and presentation. There were a number of awkward moments and slight bobbles in Yan's skate, but many superb moments as well with an excellent display of his raw talent. Will be interesting to see how he develops long term. I am kind of lukewarm when the skating world tends to favor only the jumps and SS all the time over skaters with the jumps and well-rounded artistry. I am definitely not saying that is the case in Juniors because I think the medalists all deserved their placements at Jr. Worlds and at JGPF.

In the sp, I think Jason might have deserved to be higher, but I can see why they put him in 4th (lack of 3-axel) b/c Denis had the 3-axel and he skated clean and beautifully, altho' Denis is not as consistent as Jason. I am actually more mesmerized by Jason's skating overall than anyone else's in the junior ranks, but I do enjoy watching Joshua (look forward to his continued development too), Han Yan, and Denis as well.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 03-04-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast