Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Jason Brown's Future Prospects

He was his HS "team captain" at the inaugural HS competition on Monday. Got lost on the way to the rink, ran in threw his skates on, got a 30 second warm up for the jumps segment AND......

hit the boards on the landing of his jump combo.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Was he OK, and did his team win?

He was fine (just a little embarassed). I believe they did win the "A" group of the competition.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Could you start a thread topic about high school skating teams? I didn't even know there was such a thing!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Could you start a thread topic about high school skating teams? I didn't even know there was such a thing!
    Here you go! http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...m-Competitions

Back to Jason Brown... here are some excerpts from an IN article published after he had won the JGP Final:
    With Jason Brown, what you see is what you get. And what you see is one happy kid.

"I am almost always happy," the 17-year-old Chicagoan said on Dec. 15 [2011]. "I absolutely love the skating process. I love the journey. Some days are lower than others, but it's all just great, to be honest.
    Not even questions about the triple Axel, the difficult three-and-a-half revolution jump he is working hard to master, derailed his enthusiasm.

"Of course I don't mind talking about it," he said. "As long as no one gets annoyed by all of my 'It's getting closer, it's getting closer.' As long as no one gets bothered by that, as long as they respect, I guess, where I am with the jump and how we decide to put it out there, and when."
    Brown is confident it [the triple Axel] will come in time.

"I work a little with Dartfish, about once a week," he said of the computer imaging system favored by many coaches, including Chan's trainer Christy Krall. "I used to do once a week with the pole harness, and we're doing more and more now."

[Coach Kori] Ade has also brought him to Colorado Springs, where he worked with Kathy Casey, and to Lake Arrowhead to work with former Australian champion Anthony Liu.
    Keeping a regular schedule at Highland Park High School, where he is a junior, helps ward off too much pressure.

"There are not a lot of kids who are homeschooled in Chicago," he said. "[School] is a nice break. It's nice to wake up in the morning and go skate, then go to school and then go back to skating.
    "I definitely do feel pressure [about the Axel], but I try my hardest. It's definitely something I need, and I so know that. It's something I've worked on for a long time now, and it's a struggle, but it's been such an amazing life lesson throughout the whole thing that I think it's a blessing in disguise not to have it yet."
    ETA: Also, Brown mentioned at the end of the article that he has practiced quads (both toe and Salchow were implied) every now and then but not on a regular basis yet.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-15-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Custom Title
    When I see this young man skate, I completely forget about marks! He takes me to a special place. I suppose he has to get all the jumps to remain competitive so if that will keep him on the ice, do it!
    I had a similar reaction when I saw Jeremy Abbot's two wonderful programs at Nationals. Now THAT'S why I watch skating.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11