Jason Brown's Future Prospects | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown's Future Prospects

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Following up on this.

Here's Jason from 2011 Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94pHGvq3Fs

Here's Jason from JW last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APF_0dzUmXs

You can definitely see that in 2011 he was just at the same height or slightly taller than his coach. Now you can see he's almost several inches taller.

Where should we watch? Actually if you watch 2011 Nationals at 27" and compare it with 2012 JW at 7", I don't see much difference. An inch maybe?

Nigel

On the Ice
In a word, yes. To continue to climb the ladder, he will have to have a consistent 3A. Make take him two seasons to have it be consistent, but it's got to happen.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Where should we watch? Actually if you watch 2011 Nationals at 27" and compare it with 2012 JW at 7", I don't see much difference. An inch maybe?

All I know is that Joshua Farris lists himself as 5'8" and that seems a believable height for him (although his isu bio says 175 cm which is 5'9" but those listings are often inflated so idk what to believe) and in pictures he looks around 3" taller than Jason, who in photos looks about the exact same height as Han Yan who is listed as 5'5" and looks arond that height. He does have spiky hair that maybe gives him an inch, but Jason was listed as 5'4" last season and now only appears 5'5" or 5'6". So he's grown probably 2 inches in the past year. If he was actually 5'7" he'd look closer to Farris's height than Yan's in pictures and he doesn't so I think he had a slight growth spurt in the past year, not a huge one. Mostly he looks like he's filled out and become stronger, which can also be hard to adjust to, but in the long run might help him get the 3a and quads.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I think it's more than an inch. An inch isn't very much. Jason was at Kori's height in 2011 Nationals. A JW, he's about a half to 3/4 of a head taller, that would be at least 3-4 inches.

By the way, it's worth noting that mskater93 skates in the same area as Jason so has probably has seen his growth spurt in person. (I'll let her confirm that though.)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think it's more than an inch. An inch isn't very much. Jason was at Kori's height in 2011 Nationals. A JW, he's about a half to 3/4 of a head taller, that would be at least 3-4 inches.

I just can't find where have you gotten the idea that Jason was 3/4 of a head taller than his coach at 2012 JW?

The only part that Jason was standing with his coach in 2012 JW was in the beginning of that video you gave where Jason was standing on the ice wearing skates and hugging his coach. He looked about a little over 1/3 of a head taller than his coach. The only comparable part in 2011 Nationals video was also in the beginning when Jason was also standing on the ice with his skates on and before and after hugging his coach. He looked about 1/3 of a head taller than his coach at that time too.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Comparing Jason's and Joshua's heights

As 2009 U.S. Novice medalists Scroll down. I just noticed Jason is actually on a lower platform.

As 2010 U.S. Junior medalists

Han Yan, Jason Brown, and Joshua Farris sans skates at JGPF 2011

As 2012 World Junior medalists

Two observations:

1. Joshua grew much earlier than Jason, who has almost caught up.

2. It's easy to forget these are very young people, literally and obviously just kids a couple of years ago. They are still growing, physically and mentally. In judging them as skaters, we can't forget they are just teenagers going through what teenagers go through, growing and struggling with various issues, experiencing an exciting and difficult period of life.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, here's some primary material.

From February 2011 column by Phil Hersh:

Brown, now 5-5, said he has grown four inches since the 2010 nationals.

So perhaps it's not as noticeable because it happened over two years. Still, if the majority of it came after 2011 nationals, then it still speaks to mskater93 point.

mskater93

Record Breaker
He has definitely grown and he grew several inches all at once right after nationals last year which played havoc with his center of gravity. I saw him right before 2011 Nationals and then again over the summer and he was DEFINITELY noticeably taller and had started to fill out instead of looking like a little kid still. Also, if you compare the picture on IN of the three medallists from JWs, Jason's shoulders are a couple inches taller than Han Yan's and nearly as tall as Josh's. He has his head cocked, so comparing tops of heads is hard from that picture.

You are also dismissing the change of equipment which played havoc with his skating. He had been in hinged boots for several seasons - through learning most of his doubles through last year - and since those were discontinued, he had to go into a more traditional pair of boots (I think he's now in SP Teris but not entirely sure) which changed A LOT of things about his jumps. Just because he didn't have a 3A this season even though he had put some work into it already doesn't mean it's time for him to give it up and say "I'll never get this 3A, I should just quit".

I would like to know what Jason did to you, Bluebonnet, for you to dislike him so much. He hasn't been driving all that long, so I find it hard to believe he ran over your dog....;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Height is such a strange thing. So Jason actually has grown a lot over the past 3 or 4 years,he used to be such a pipsqueak! Lol but Josh Farris is not actually that tall, but on the ice he looks quite tall. It's funny I noticed the same thing at nationals, Christina and Mirai were standing next to each other before the warmup for the FS, and they were about the same height, Christina maybe an inch taller max, but on the ice, Christina looks much taller than Mirai. The same goes for skaters like Shelepen and Korobeynikova who are both only around 5'5" but watching them on the ice, they look like 5'9" lol. I guess leg to torso ratio really does make a difference, I always think Mao looks quite tall but then you see her next to Akiko and Kanako in off ice pictures and she's not really much taller at all, she just has long thin legs that make her seem so tall.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I would like to know what Jason did to you, Bluebonnet, for you to dislike him so much. He hasn't been driving all that long, so I find it hard to believe he ran over your dog....;)

Why?! Can't anyone say anything the opposit? It's actually not all about Jason. Who cares whether Jason is tall or short?! It's more of trying to find the point in the proof that was given. Mrs.P gave two videos which were a year apart as a proof for her point but I didn't find such a proof in those videos as she claimed. Can't I say it?:sarcasm:

If you think my points are invalid, you are very welcome to state your reasoning. I believe reasoning. You didn't continue your reasoning. Instead, you threw this non-sense to me? When a skater, any skater, is hyped to such a point, like when Adam Rippon was from Juniors turning into seniors, or like Caroline Zhang was a few years back, you can't expect no one else say anything otherwise. Joshua wasn't the focus because Joshua wasn't hyped like this.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Why?! Can't anyone say anything the opposit? It's actually not all about Jason. Who cares whether Jason is tall or short?! It's more of trying to find the point in the proof that was given. Mrs.P gave two videos which were a year apart as a proof for her point but I didn't find such a proof in those videos as she claimed. Can't I say it?:sarcasm:

If you think my points are invalid, you are very welcome to state your reasoning. I believe reasoning. You didn't continue your reasoning. Instead, you threw this non-sense to me? When a skater, any skater, is hyped to such a point, like when Adam Rippon was from Juniors turning into seniors, or like Caroline Zhang was a few years back, you can't expect no one else say anything otherwise. Joshua wasn't the focus because Joshua wasn't hyped like this.

What I see is people praising Jason for his attributes. Can't people SAY THAT? People — including mskater93 — have explained WHY Jason has shown promise and potential for the future despite his shortcomings. That is not hype. Saying Jason is going to be the Olympic Gold Medalist in Sochi or beat Patrick Chan next season — that's hype. Saying why a skater has potential is not. I ask that you see the difference.

MSkater93 actually skates in the same area as Jason and has seen for herself — as I pointed out earlier — Jason's growth spurt. She also has followed Jason — and his coaching team — since he was a juvenile level skater (and I when I say follow, I mean been at the same competitions in person), so I think that she is more credible to talk about his development/growth/struggles than you seem willing to give her.

Also while the videos were perhaps not to your satisfaction, I also posted a Chicago Tribune article that says that Jason had a growth spurt. Please refer to that and the examples SkateFiguring pointed out. I think it's pretty obviously that Jason grew quickly in a short period of time.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
When I read the allegation of Bluebonnet's strong personal dislike against Jason Brown, I looked up her posts on the subject. I don't see her saying anything personal against him but sticking to his skating like everyone does on various skaters. She also questioned the claim of his tremendous growth spurt in the last year since there was no convincing evidence of that. (What I could brought here indicated a catch up growth against Joshua since 2009 but no definitive measure of amount in the last year since there was no podium picture when they competed as Nationals Seniors.) In either case, I think it's a fair and brave voicing of opinions spurred on by the amount of different opinions on the board. There is no personal disparaging from her against the skater in question.

Transferring the displeasure about opinions expressed to the poster is a tempting emotional reaction but not conducive to a healhty debate IMHO.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
When I read the allegation of Bluebonnet's strong personal dislike against Jason Brown, I looked up her posts on the subject. I don't see her saying anything personal against him but sticking to his skating like everyone does on various skaters. She also questioned the claim of his tremendous growth spurt in the last year since there was no convincing evidence of that. (What I could brought here indicated a catch up growth against Joshua since 2009 but no definitive measure of amount in the last year since there was no podium picture when they competed as Nationals Seniors.) In either case, I think it's a fair and brave voicing of opinions spurred on by the amount of different opinions on the board. There is no personal disparaging from her against the skater in question.

Transferring the displeasure about opinions expressed to the poster is a tempting emotional reaction but not conducive to a healthy debate IMHO.

It's also unhealthy to assume that people who believe in Jason has promise or that he has a future in the sport despite his current challenges are nothing but mere delusional fanatics or someone just gushing about their favorite. Many have responded, I feel in a reasonable manner, to why we believe Jason has a future in this sport and the only response we get in return is "Why is Jason getting all this hype?" or "Why can't we say anything bad about him" "He doesn't have the 3A, that's what matters" or that "they're just fans in denial."

I have said over and over again that I AGREE Jason needs the 3A, so have other fans. I've also said over and over again that I don't deny that he is having trouble with the jump. But that doesn't mean he's doomed for the rest of his career or he'll never learn the jump. Or that he isn't competitive right now.

I think people are trying to have a dialogue here, but are hitting a wall. It's being felt on both sides, I'm sure.

In the end, I think we're in a we just have to be in an agree-to-disagree state of mind, I don't feel like there's much more to be said that can move this conversation along. We know that:

1.) Some people admire Jason's skating/choreography
2.) Some people don't because he doesn't have a 3A or don't care for his style.
3.) Jason is working on the 3A but has had obstacles.
4.) We don't know if he'll have it by next year.

And with that I'm out.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Bluebonnet, I asked that question if he ran over your dog (in a tongue in cheek manner) because you went personal about Jason in another thread about his choice of hairstyle and costuming along with continuing to rip on his skating, which may not be your cup of tea. SF, I asked my question in a tongue and cheek manner because not only has Bluebonnet expressed dislike of Jason's skating but also of his hair (which, frankly has nothing to do with whether he has a 3A a quintiple jump or anything else on the ice).
Fact: from my own visual experiences in person, Jason Brown HAS grown several inches in the last 13-14 months. Do I have a tape measure and slip up behind him and measure how tall he is when I do see him? NO. Fact: he did change boot types and that did cause problems with his skating last spring/summer limiting his opportunity to work on 3A and 4's. Fact: judges (and many fans) seem to love his soft knees, charisma, and flowing style or else he wouldn't cause this much buzz and wouldn't place as high as he does without a 3A and/or 4's (JGP, JGPF, JW,and also Senior Nationals - 99.5% of skaters without a 3A will not make the top 10 in men's, but there's something about his skating that is appealing that gives him that boost into the top 10 without the 3A).
With that, I am out of this thread...

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Bluebonnet, I asked that question if he ran over your dog (in a tongue in cheek manner) because you went personal about Jason in another thread about his choice of hairstyle and costuming along with continuing to rip on his skating, which may not be your cup of tea.

Exactly how personal was that to voice dislikes on one's hair style on ice? It's like costumes, it's part of skating. That was a fair opinion. If you think his hair looks good, that is your fair opinion. Why took offence?

Do you mean that people cannot comment on skater's hair and costumes, otherwise it is too personal? For all times sake, Kevin Reynolds has several names being called for his hair style and people made fun from it. No one took offence on that. Why this time? (For the record, I don't like Reynolds hair style at all.)

If you call that was "rip on his skating", be it. I was merely pointing out the truth which some of his fans do not want to face.

Bluebonnet, your views on Jason's hair and your allusion to him as "all icing, no cake" (2nd page of this thread) are opinion, not "truth."

It's so ironic that you're insisting on your right to nitpick an obviously talented, already popular young American skater. Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall you get very annoyed when anything negative is said about your favorite Patrick.

If it's truth you're concerned about, well - the truth is that 17-year-old Jason Brown has a lot of fans and a lot of hopes pinned on him. We all find him exciting *now*, and we all hope he'll get the 3A and a quad so he can be competitive in seniors. If he doesn't, he'll still be a fan favorite every year at nationals.

It's hard for me to see what anyone would find shortsighted or objectionable about this! It's not as if anyone has suggested he could beat Patrick at this point. Now that would be silly. But we can hope.... :cool:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Bluebonnet, your views on Jason's hair and your allusion to him as "all icing, no cake" (2nd page of this thread) are opinion, not "truth."

Spun, you took my words out of context! Have you read my entire post on that?! I first refered to the hard elements as a cake, and said Jason doesn't have it. That's the truth, not opinion. Jason doesn't have a 3A which was what I was refering to. Do you even want to deny that?!

I can't believe this!!! How quickly it could turn into personal to aim at specific poster or posters!

I didn't misunderstand you, Bluebonnet. The question is how you interpret his lack of that jump.

Fact: Jason lacks a 3A. His other jumps are solid and his flow, line, interpretation, and musicality are exciting to many fans and are getting respect from the judges.

Opinion: Lack of a 3A is "the cake." Everything else he has is just "icing." That is how you put it. How did I distort your words?

As for turning personal - well, it's bad enough that the "Chan Patrol" snaps back whenever anyone dares to criticize him on this board. But when I see you turn around and criticize Jason to the point that his fans back off, then I want to speak up.

Is it fair to criticize skaters sharply? Then enough with the Chan Patrol. Is it unfair to criticize skaters sharply? Then enough about Jason being nothing but "icing."