Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Jason Brown's Future Prospects

Custom Title
    Jason needs an experienced coach to get to the top. And a top jump coach to get him competitive with the top dogs. But he seems to have almost a bother sister relationship with Kori and might not want to leave her.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Jason is good but I don't agree with this at all. Josh had higher PCS than Jason in the SP and was only 0.8 back from Jason's in the FS. There is so much more to Josh Farris's skating than jumps; I mean clearly, you don't score 221+ in a junior event if you just have jumps. Have you not paid attention to his spins, footwork, and sensitivity to the music? To me, Jason and Josh are about even artistically, they have different styles for sure but their PCS would suggest they are on-par with one another, but Josh has the huge advantage of having a nice 3a RIGHT NOW, and further, he's been working on the 4t for two seasons already and we saw at nationals it's pretty close. I like Jason and think he has a lot of potential but I find it almost funny how many people are on his bandwagon and think Josh is chopped liver in comparison, especially when Josh, who is the same age, beat Jason here, gets virtually the same PCS as him at all international events this season, and already has a triple axel (and a nice, solid one at that).

Right now, if anyone is ahead, it's Farris IMO. I think I actually prefer his skating to Jason's and I feel much more comfortable about his future knowing he already has a reliable 3a and is close to having the 4t competition ready. It would appear I'm in the very small minority though...
    I agree that Josh is not chopped liver and brings a lot to the table. That said, he does seem to have some consistency issues. He was first after the JGPF and had a 4-poin lead + the cushion of 2 3A's and still managed to lose to Jason overall by nearly 10 points. Jason also beat Farris at Nationals by 12 points despite a mini-meltdown from Jason in the LP. So in face to face competition during 2011-2012 it's still 2-1, Brown.

This is the first time all season that Josh has beat Brown with nearly-perfect programs (though still with some mistakes). So while the 3As gives Josh an advantage as far as BV, all bets are off if he makes a ton of mistakes.

And if you look at the overall season.
    Brown — 2 Gold (JGPF + JPF Australia), 1 silver (JGP Italy), 1 bronze (JW)
    Farris — 2 gold (JGP Poland + Estonia), 1 silver (JW), 1 bronze (JGPF)

Their international record is just about the same, which goes to show that the 3A isn't everything, at least at this point.

So — at this point — Farris hasn't shown yet that he's that much better than Brown in competition. Of course that all could change at the senior level, but for now, I wouldn't count Jason out. (And I'm not counting Josh out yet either).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I'm sure his team knows about Brown's reputation as a all-around packaged skater, so the last thing they want to do is to have that marred by bad 3A attempts. Because he has great choreo, good jump technique on his other jumps and expression, he can get away with this for now. A skater like Kevin Reynolds, for example, doesn't have anything like that, so he has to relay on his jumps — even if they're not executed very well (his quads are pretty cool; but he's had his share of bad 3As).

This analysis is ridiculous. Reputation by getting a few junior medals means absolutely zero for senior internaional competitions, unless he can be a kid forever. You master skills by trying them at competitions. Can't imagine he can somehow magically land a 3a next year in an important competition without even trying it.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateflower View Post
    This analysis is ridiculous. Reputation by getting a few junior medals means absolutely zero for senior internaional competitions, unless he can be a kid forever. You master skills by trying them at competitions. Can't imagine he can somehow magically land a 3a next year in an important competition without even trying it.
    And you have inside knowledge that he is not planning to try it in some unimportant competitions first?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    And you have inside knowledge that he is not planning to try it in some unimportant competitions first?
    He hasn't tried anything yet. But according Mrs P, he wants to wait until his 3a is perfect. I don't think that's the case.

^ That's not what she said. She noted he's tried it in a small comp already and not fully succeeded, so he's waiting to put it in big comps until it's perfect.

Custom Title
    New article by Phil Hersh featuring a post free skate telephone interview with Jason.

Banned
    There is no way Jason Brown with 2 2As can beat even Denis Ten at a senior GP event as Ten landed 2 3As.

Really? Jason just beat Denis and his 2 3As by 10 points. I guess if Denis had landed a beautiful 4T he would have beaten Jason but it doesn't seem like he would have done it with just the 3As. Would it be so different in seniors?

Is the 3axel a mandatory jump for the mens short program? In seniors that is.

Custom Title
    No, just a double or triple.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    Is the 3axel a mandatory jump for the mens short program? In seniors that is.
    No, a double or triple axel fulfills the axel jump requirement in the short program.

Thanks ImaginaryPogue and Srin Odessa.

Then I guess it's up to Jason and his team as to whether he moves up to seniors. I'm fine with either and the judges seems to love him. I see no reason why Jason's 2A can't beat Ten 3A long program on the senior level.

Custom Title
    1. He has neither a quad nor a triple axel. That's a pretty big piece of cake. Asserting that he can make that up with GOEs, PCS and other high level elements... well, he wasn't able to here, and both Farris and Yan left points on the table.

2. If he's actually waiting until it's perfect before putting it in big competitions, I'm pretty much gonna write him off right now. It strikes me as a foolish idea to wait until something is perfect to try it out in high pressure situations. Chan tends to be the talisman for those who root for Brown because of his iffy triple axel, but at this age he had landed them. Rippon, when he won his second world junior title, attempted three and landed both in his LP with positive grades of execution. I can't imagine why a coach would avoid them merely because the possibility of negative GOE, especially when it's such an essential part.

3. Prior to this season, his coach gave an interview which stated (paraphrasing) that while their initial goal was Sochi, they pushed that back to Pyeongchang in order to not rush things. While I think it's perfectly sensible, given trouble/absence of the triple axel, you've gotta wonder - just how plausible it appears and appears soon. The article heavily implied that the 3A issues were the biggest cause for the change in plans

4. Admittedly, my biggest pet peeve is that people who love Brown really seem to be dismissing Farris way too strongly. If that wasn't part of it, it would just be stereotypical overhyping of junior skaters (and in this case, one I just don't get the love for).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I agree that Josh is not chopped liver and brings a lot to the table. That said, he does seem to have some consistency issues. He was first after the JGPF and had a 4-poin lead + the cushion of 2 3A's and still managed to lose to Jason overall by nearly 10 points. Jason also beat Farris at Nationals by 12 points despite a mini-meltdown from Jason in the LP. So in face to face competition during 2011-2012 it's still 2-1, Brown.

This is the first time all season that Josh has beat Brown with nearly-perfect programs (though still with some mistakes). So while the 3As gives Josh an advantage as far as BV, all bets are off if he makes a ton of mistakes.

And if you look at the overall season.
    Brown — 2 Gold (JGPF + JPF Australia), 1 silver (JGP Italy), 1 bronze (JW)
    Farris — 2 gold (JGP Poland + Estonia), 1 silver (JW), 1 bronze (JGPF)

Their international record is just about the same, which goes to show that the 3A isn't everything, at least at this point.

So — at this point — Farris hasn't shown yet that he's that much better than Brown in competition. Of course that all could change at the senior level, but for now, I wouldn't count Jason out. (And I'm not counting Josh out yet either).
    Yes, Jason is more consistent, but Josh was also attempting harder content at all his events so it makes sense that Jason would have cleaner performances. Josh went for the 3a in all of his SPs and two in all of his LPs this season (though at his 1st JGP, he popped the 2nd to a double), and went for a 4t in his FS at Nationals. And further, Jason only scored 1 point higher than Josh in the FS at Nationals, and that was with PCS that were 10 points higher than what Josh got there. The extra 30 seconds threw both men off I think, and as for the JGPF, Josh was debuting a brand new FS that was a bit undercooked so his mistakes (which weren't huge or glaring anyways, were understandable). Consistency is something that for sure, Josh needs to work on, and I think he knows that and plans to do so. But, at least he's going for the tough content. I can forgive his inconsistency a little bit because he always goes for his jumps and isn't one to chicken out and ease up his content when he has a big lead in the SP (like he did at both of his JGPs), and that's something I admire. Further, people have mentioned Jason grew this season but I'm pretty sure Josh grew quite a bit this season as well. If you look at pictures of him and Jason next to each other, Josh looks around 3 inches taller, meaning if Jason is 5'7" as listed, he is probably closer to 5'10" than the 5'8" he is listed at.

On the topic of consistency, that is a trait that Jason DOES have and it is very impressive. But it does speak to a certain level of perfectionism and at this point I'd rather see Jason try the 3a in his programs and fall on it than skate clean programs without the jump. He already proved he can do really well on the junior ranks without it, but on the senior ranks, he knows he'll need it. So now is the time to start trying.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast