Jason Brown's Future Prospects | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown's Future Prospects

emma

Record Breaker
The Jason Brown LP video has now finally surfaced!! I've placed a copy in the Men's Long Program thread in the Junior Worlds section

thanks for this!

^^^^^^^
Yes

BTW, Rohene Ward is successfully touring in Europe in Holiday on Ice.

Here is his audition tape, including triple axels, and double axels in sequence, rotated in opposite directions.
Rohene had the jumps, he just had no head for competition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC1-havgrIk

That's why he had the best attended practice sessions I've ever seen.

Thanks for the Rohene info....I do hope to see him skate live sometime.

To me, Jason's skating has a smooth flow, an interesting variety of positions, and choreography filled with charming detail. His performances hold my attention.

Here is Rohene Ward in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAdIn-NFKhc&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL693024D8EE80A3DC

None of these skaters could jump well enough to win any international competitions. Maybe Jason Brown will fall into the same category. Myself, I think he is in good company. And who knows, he might even surprise us. :yes:

I agree....I am just so captivated by how he moves, how he links moves, the shapes he creates, and his soft knees and rhythm....i could just gosh all day. Thanks for the Rohne link too.

I guess I get from Brown-fans a dismissal of the challenges he faces getting the triple axel and the assumption it'll come without any problem.

ETA: It's not unreasonable, of course, to prefer one skater to another. I can't imagine you think I'm saying that.

IP...I really appreciate your posts; but this is the point that I really disagree with. I don't know anyone that knows Jason's skating well that is dismissing the challenges he will face as a senior competitor; some are being very hopeful and are basing their hope on some of the superior qualities he has in other realms; but I really just don't see the dismissing part; and even Jason has expressed frustration and worry in the press...I'm simply hoping that his growth spurt is over and that the minor injury is heeled and that he has a great summer of learning/practice. But, I totally appreciate and get your last statement and so thanks and I will not try to pressure you into loving Jason...there are some many great skaters so enjoy those that, well, you enjoy!

No, and that's why I mean that people are talking over one another...

There are two things:
1. Winning competitions
2. Producing a program that some members of the audience will really connect to.

They are not the same thing.

I think we do this a lot - talk over or past each other; thanks for taking the time to point this out so clearly.

noidont

Final Flight
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see Jason Brown's artistic appeal. He basically skates like a lady skater, meticulous, elegant but also a little melodramatic and careful. I sometimes can not bear to watch his programs. They almost have a cheesy quality to it. Too smooth, sticking to the books, no outstanding edge at all. Jason might have great choreography but he doesn't have the "cool" factor even Armin and Dornbush have.

And I'm not sure if I want to see so many flexibility transition moves from a man either. Julia doing so many of them is bad enough...

PatC

Rinkside
What Brown needs to do is spend a lot of time before the next GP/JGP season with Ouriashev, Gracie Gold's coach, or some other great jump coach. Ouriashev is in Chicago. He is clearly a heck of a jump coach. Brown lives in the Chicago area, so it looks like a natural to me.

And maybe some of Jason's strengths would rub off on Gracie---all good.

That would be good. Brian Orser isn't any slouch any teaching the 3A either. Maybe a trip to TO wouldn't be a bad thing either.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see Jason Brown's artistic appeal. He basically skates like a lady skater, meticulous, elegant but also a little melodramatic and careful. I sometimes can not bear to watch his programs. They almost have a cheesy quality to it. Too smooth, sticking to the books, no outstanding edge at all. Jason might have great choreography but he doesn't have the "cool" factor even Armin and Dornbush have.

And I'm not sure if I want to see so many flexibility transition moves from a man either. Julia doing so many of them is bad enough...

then what do you call Farris then with his balletic and boring appeal ? :sarcasm:
also Armin, Miner has those what you said but hey also lack appeal, Brown has good jumps ( minus the big ones yet ) and his artistry shows
he has star quality

silverlake22

Record Breaker
then what do you call Farris then with his balletic and boring appeal ? :sarcasm:
also Armin, Miner has those what you said but hey also lack appeal, Brown has good jumps ( minus the big ones yet ) and his artistry shows
he has star quality

I don't find Jason or Joshua to be feminine in the slightest. Elegant, flexible, yes, even balletic I can see, but they are still very masculine IMO. They have power behind the elegance and that's what makes both of them really strong skaters. Since when does being an artistic male skater make you feminine? Jason's unitards maybe aren't helping him look the most manly out on the ice, but that can be easily fixed. And these kids just turned 17 years old for pete's sake, you can't expect them to look and skate with the kind of masculine power someone like Joubert or Lysacek has, they are still growing into their bodies! At their ages it's expected their skating would be a little bit unsteady and their image on the ice a bit fragile, but give it a year or two and I'm sure that will change.

I just watched Jason's video and it was a great performance. I am so proud of both Jason and Joshua because they were both amazing and really earned their scores, and that was the best I think either has skated all season. I look forward to their development in the future and in the meantime I think we should just sit back and let them develop and grow into their skating. They are both very young and still have a lot of maturing to do.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So many posts since I last posted. Instead of responding to all of them — a few follow up thoughts:

1.) Perfection — I should clarify I was talking more of the COP type of perfection (no UR/DG) rather than actual perfection. In my mind, I can see why Jason's team would not choose to introduce this element if it's not competition ready yet. I've seen posts many times how judges will dock skaters for edge calls and UR even if they aren't actually on the wrong edge or UR because that skater has established the reputation of being UR or having the wrong edge call for that element. No matter how much judges will tell us otherwise, reputation does matter and from my view you're better off showing off you more solid qualities then try to force a flawed element into your programs.

(That said, I should have clarified that my theory was just that — a theory. I do not have intimate knowledge of Jason's training progress or strategy.)

As for "competition feedback" I don't see what Jason has to gain from this except the knowledge that he isn't able to do it as good as his competitors or that it is UR/DG/badly executed — which is something he already knows from doing it at home several dozen times a da.

2.) Jason's fans covering up his problems/denying limited development without the 3A/giving too much hype to his future — Well first of all, of course it makes sense that his fans would try to downplay the 3A and focus on his positive aspects of his skating. That is what a fan does. But I don't get the sense that anyone here including Doris, emma, myself or others are trying to cover up that Jason is struggling with this jump. He is — Phil Hersh has a whole article and video about it! It would be delusional at best to deny that.
But that is not mutually exclusive to people saying he has promise/potential he be a great figure skater and champion. You can say he has promise BUT he needs that 3A. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

3.) Response to "If he doesn't get it NOW, he'll never learn" — I saw a lot of posts saying variations of this phrase. And I don't get this at all. There's no expiration date on learning a new jump. For heavens skate Akiko Suzuki is training a 3T-3T and a 3F-3T for the first time at the "old" age of 26. And she has successful introduced the 3T-3T during the Grand Prix. Why is it automatically assumed that Brown will never get the jump? Give the kid time, and we'll see.

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't know but like I said in another thread I adore Jason (triple axel or not). I'm just going to enjoy him as much as I can even if he has no future of being competitive.

Maybe he should just start working on a quad. That might be easier for him like it is for Patrick. Anyhoo it doesn't matter because I love Jason and his programs, music.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I agree with Mrs. P on a lot of points above. Remember, Jason went through a HUGE growth spurt between last Nationals and the April-May time frame which played havoc with ALL his jumps which he had to regain and reduced his time during the "down season" to really put the work into the 3A. (Go look at his protocols from Skate Milwaukee if you don't believe me - total MESS) In addition to the growth spurt, he changed boots from Jackson hinge boots (because Jackson doesn't make them anymore) to a more traditional boot which ALSO played havoc with all his jumps (different set point, different feel, different push off and so on). He went from a squeaked 2A to a full set of triples minus the 3A in a very short time. Once he had some time to work on the 3A, he tweaked his ankle and didn't get to put the time into it to fix whatever isn't exactly right.

If you haven't seen Jason live, you are missing a treat. He's got this amazing magnetism about his skating where you can't turn away.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Jason can be competitive at the junior level if he is clean on everything else without the axel but winning will be hard - probably the best he can hope for is a bronze. I believe he has the axel but was injured and was not ready to reintroduce it.

Yes, his pcs may have been a bit generous at junior world's but he is a very mature skater.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
what is this huge growth spurt people are talking about? IIRC Jason was around 5'4" last season, and now he's listed as 5'7" but I think that's a bit inflated because look at the podium pictures and you'll see that Jason and Han Yan (listed as 5'5") are very close in height and Josh Farris who is listed as 5'8" has a good few inches on both of them. Yan does have big hair which maybe gives him an inch meaning Jason is around 5'6", but unless Josh Farris is like 5'10" (which he doesn't look quite that tall to me), then I have a hard time believing Jason in 5'7" meaning this huge growth spurt people are taking about was actually just a couple of inches. Now, that's certainly enough to throw one's technique and timing off, but looking at Jason now versus last season, he mostly just looks more mature to me, not a whole lot taller. Idk, maybe he did grow a lot though and Josh also grew a lot or something, but I was surprised by how much taller Josh was than the other two in pictures because I expected he and Jason to be about the same size.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Go find a picture of him hugging his coach at 2011 Nationals and compare to the video of his JW 2012 LP (at the very beginning) hugging her before he took off. He definitely is 4-5 inches taller than he was (he used to be shorter than Kori Ade by a couple inches, now he's taller by a couple inches - that sounds like 4-5 inches to me - and when you are 5'2" or so 4-5 inches IS huge, just ask the ladies). If he used to be listed at 5'4", HA! NO way, he was about 5'1" or 5'2" in 2011.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
THIS. Jason Brown is the whole package !

Without the biggest piece of hardware, one cannot be called the whole package. I think Joshua Ferris can be called a whole package. Whether Jason Brown could become a whole package remains to be seen. Such conclusion might be drawn as early as next season.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sounds like we have a Johnny/Evan rivalry in the making with these two.

I like them both; saw Joshua at Skate for Hope this year and he is impressive.

I love that Rohene is Jason's choreographer - can definitely see the influence. And yes, I've seen Rohene live -- there is nothing like it. To me he is the most artistic skater that ever was. Jumping in both directions - spirals, extension to die for, edges.....yup! If you have a chance to see him perform, do it.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Go find a picture of him hugging his coach at 2011 Nationals and compare to the video of his JW 2012 LP (at the very beginning) hugging her before he took off. He definitely is 4-5 inches taller than he was (he used to be shorter than Kori Ade by a couple inches, now he's taller by a couple inches - that sounds like 4-5 inches to me - and when you are 5'2" or so 4-5 inches IS huge, just ask the ladies). If he used to be listed at 5'4", HA! NO way, he was about 5'1" or 5'2" in 2011.

Okay that is more likely. He might only be 5'5" or 5'6" now but now that I watch videos from last season, yeah he looks tiny, well below 5'4", so he did grow substantially and that can be tough. Also Jason never seems to stand up straight in pictures and Josh does look tall with his long legs so he probably grew recently and is over 5'8". Lol and I agree with the potential for a Johnny-Evan like rivalry to develop btwn these two. Funny though, at nationals, Johnny seemed to really be a fan of both skaters. And Josh is somewhat similar to Lysacek so it surprised me, but he is very talented regardless and I think that's what Johnny was trying to point out. The one thing I worry about with Josh is if his coaches will try and package him like a Patrick Chan. I know they train together and are friends and Josh looks up to Patrick very much, and they do have some of the same good qualities, but, I'd rather see Josh be packaged as the unique skater he is rather than a b-version of Patrick Chan...

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Kristi Krall never has a tendency to package her skaters alike and I believe they (Patrick and Josh) have different choreographers, so that shouldn't be an issue for Josh.

As for Jason, I wouldn't be too worried about his likelihood of attaining a 3A and 4's because:
1) he's not very tall
2) he's gotten stronger-looking in his upper body
3) his 2A has gotten better with the work he's put in on the 3A so far (it's got an almost delayed rotation now)
4) he's got very quick rotation on his 3's
5) he has an awesome rotational pivot on his jumps (nice and straight in the air)
6) when I saw his 3A last (around Christmas time) it was pretty close in terms of having the feel for it - it was rotating properly and just about there, he either was falling or 2 footing it, but the right foot was all the way backwards on the majority of the attempts (either late checking out or early)

Dragonlady

Final Flight

I think some of the skaters are quoting their height while wearing skates. It's the only explanation I can come up with for the disconnect between their stated height, and their actual height.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think some of the skaters are quoting their height while wearing skates. It's the only explanation I can come up with for the disconnect between their stated height, and their actual height.
I wouldn't doubt it, although Doris had a good answer!! :biggrin:

PS: I used my specific suggestion of measurement because Kori Ade HASN'T grown so the relativistic measure is still there.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I wouldn't doubt it, although Doris had a good answer!! :biggrin:

PS: I used my specific suggestion of measurement because Kori Ade HASN'T grown so the relativistic measure is still there.

A woman's height varies according to her footwear du jour, which fluctuates more than skates.