Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Jason Brown's Future Prospects

Kristi Krall never has a tendency to package her skaters alike and I believe they (Patrick and Josh) have different choreographers, so that shouldn't be an issue for Josh.

As for Jason, I wouldn't be too worried about his likelihood of attaining a 3A and 4's because:
    1) he's not very tall
    2) he's gotten stronger-looking in his upper body
    3) his 2A has gotten better with the work he's put in on the 3A so far (it's got an almost delayed rotation now)
    4) he's got very quick rotation on his 3's
    5) he has an awesome rotational pivot on his jumps (nice and straight in the air)
    6) when I saw his 3A last (around Christmas time) it was pretty close in terms of having the feel for it - it was rotating properly and just about there, he either was falling or 2 footing it, but the right foot was all the way backwards on the majority of the attempts (either late checking out or early)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Go find a picture of him hugging his coach at 2011 Nationals and compare to the video of his JW 2012 LP (at the very beginning) hugging her before he took off. He definitely is 4-5 inches taller than he was (he used to be shorter than Kori Ade by a couple inches, now he's taller by a couple inches - that sounds like 4-5 inches to me - and when you are 5'2" or so 4-5 inches IS huge, just ask the ladies). If he used to be listed at 5'4", HA! NO way, he was about 5'1" or 5'2" in 2011.
    I think some of the skaters are quoting their height while wearing skates. It's the only explanation I can come up with for the disconnect between their stated height, and their actual height.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Well, that or they're stretching the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I think some of the skaters are quoting their height while wearing skates. It's the only explanation I can come up with for the disconnect between their stated height, and their actual height.
    I wouldn't doubt it, although Doris had a good answer!!

PS: I used my specific suggestion of measurement because Kori Ade HASN'T grown so the relativistic measure is still there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    I wouldn't doubt it, although Doris had a good answer!!

PS: I used my specific suggestion of measurement because Kori Ade HASN'T grown so the relativistic measure is still there.
    A woman's height varies according to her footwear du jour, which fluctuates more than skates.

skating philosopher
    Following up on this.

Here's Jason from 2011 Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94pHGvq3Fs

Here's Jason from JW last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APF_0dzUmXs

You can definitely see that in 2011 he was just at the same height or slightly taller than his coach. Now you can see he's almost several inches taller.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Following up on this.

Here's Jason from 2011 Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94pHGvq3Fs

Here's Jason from JW last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APF_0dzUmXs

You can definitely see that in 2011 he was just at the same height or slightly taller than his coach. Now you can see he's almost several inches taller.
    Where should we watch? Actually if you watch 2011 Nationals at 27" and compare it with 2012 JW at 7", I don't see much difference. An inch maybe?

Custom Title
    In a word, yes. To continue to climb the ladder, he will have to have a consistent 3A. Make take him two seasons to have it be consistent, but it's got to happen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Where should we watch? Actually if you watch 2011 Nationals at 27" and compare it with 2012 JW at 7", I don't see much difference. An inch maybe?
    All I know is that Joshua Farris lists himself as 5'8" and that seems a believable height for him (although his isu bio says 175 cm which is 5'9" but those listings are often inflated so idk what to believe) and in pictures he looks around 3" taller than Jason, who in photos looks about the exact same height as Han Yan who is listed as 5'5" and looks arond that height. He does have spiky hair that maybe gives him an inch, but Jason was listed as 5'4" last season and now only appears 5'5" or 5'6". So he's grown probably 2 inches in the past year. If he was actually 5'7" he'd look closer to Farris's height than Yan's in pictures and he doesn't so I think he had a slight growth spurt in the past year, not a huge one. Mostly he looks like he's filled out and become stronger, which can also be hard to adjust to, but in the long run might help him get the 3a and quads.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I think it's more than an inch. An inch isn't very much. Jason was at Kori's height in 2011 Nationals. A JW, he's about a half to 3/4 of a head taller, that would be at least 3-4 inches.

By the way, it's worth noting that mskater93 skates in the same area as Jason so has probably has seen his growth spurt in person. (I'll let her confirm that though.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think it's more than an inch. An inch isn't very much. Jason was at Kori's height in 2011 Nationals. A JW, he's about a half to 3/4 of a head taller, that would be at least 3-4 inches.
    I just can't find where have you gotten the idea that Jason was 3/4 of a head taller than his coach at 2012 JW?

The only part that Jason was standing with his coach in 2012 JW was in the beginning of that video you gave where Jason was standing on the ice wearing skates and hugging his coach. He looked about a little over 1/3 of a head taller than his coach. The only comparable part in 2011 Nationals video was also in the beginning when Jason was also standing on the ice with his skates on and before and after hugging his coach. He looked about 1/3 of a head taller than his coach at that time too.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 03-06-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Custom Title
    Comparing Jason's and Joshua's heights

As 2009 U.S. Novice medalists Scroll down. I just noticed Jason is actually on a lower platform.

As 2010 U.S. Junior medalists

Han Yan, Jason Brown, and Joshua Farris sans skates at JGPF 2011

As 2012 World Junior medalists

Two observations:

1. Joshua grew much earlier than Jason, who has almost caught up.

2. It's easy to forget these are very young people, literally and obviously just kids a couple of years ago. They are still growing, physically and mentally. In judging them as skaters, we can't forget they are just teenagers going through what teenagers go through, growing and struggling with various issues, experiencing an exciting and difficult period of life.

skating philosopher
    Okay, here's some primary material.

From February 2011 column by Phil Hersh:

Brown, now 5-5, said he has grown four inches since the 2010 nationals.
    So perhaps it's not as noticeable because it happened over two years. Still, if the majority of it came after 2011 nationals, then it still speaks to mskater93 point.

He has definitely grown and he grew several inches all at once right after nationals last year which played havoc with his center of gravity. I saw him right before 2011 Nationals and then again over the summer and he was DEFINITELY noticeably taller and had started to fill out instead of looking like a little kid still. Also, if you compare the picture on IN of the three medallists from JWs, Jason's shoulders are a couple inches taller than Han Yan's and nearly as tall as Josh's. He has his head cocked, so comparing tops of heads is hard from that picture.

You are also dismissing the change of equipment which played havoc with his skating. He had been in hinged boots for several seasons - through learning most of his doubles through last year - and since those were discontinued, he had to go into a more traditional pair of boots (I think he's now in SP Teris but not entirely sure) which changed A LOT of things about his jumps. Just because he didn't have a 3A this season even though he had put some work into it already doesn't mean it's time for him to give it up and say "I'll never get this 3A, I should just quit".

I would like to know what Jason did to you, Bluebonnet, for you to dislike him so much. He hasn't been driving all that long, so I find it hard to believe he ran over your dog....

Custom Title
    Height is such a strange thing. So Jason actually has grown a lot over the past 3 or 4 years,he used to be such a pipsqueak! Lol but Josh Farris is not actually that tall, but on the ice he looks quite tall. It's funny I noticed the same thing at nationals, Christina and Mirai were standing next to each other before the warmup for the FS, and they were about the same height, Christina maybe an inch taller max, but on the ice, Christina looks much taller than Mirai. The same goes for skaters like Shelepen and Korobeynikova who are both only around 5'5" but watching them on the ice, they look like 5'9" lol. I guess leg to torso ratio really does make a difference, I always think Mao looks quite tall but then you see her next to Akiko and Kanako in off ice pictures and she's not really much taller at all, she just has long thin legs that make her seem so tall.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast