Jason Brown's Future Prospects | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown's Future Prospects

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not sure if this video has been linked earlier. It shows JB's 3A practice and answers the questions about his height and how much he grew last year.

A visit with figure skater Jason Brown

Thanks for posting this. I was referring to this video in some of my posts, but couldn't track it down on the Chicago Tribune website.

According to Phil Hersh's article from 2011 (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...ter-brown-hopes-to-follow-lysaceks-path-.html), he was 5'1" in 2010

According to the video, he says he's 5'7 now. That's a lot of growth!

I really sympathize with him. He seems to have worked so hard on 3a.

He seems to take it in stride. I'm sure in private he gets sick of the 3A questioning, but I think he accepts it and tries to not let it get to him.

As Johnny Weir said during his SP at Nationals. "He's just cool."

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Not sure if this video has been linked earlier. It shows JB's 3A practice and answers the questions about his height and how much he grew last year.

A visit with figure skater Jason Brown

Haha, Jason is a very cute kid. But, maybe strength is holding him back from mastering the 3a if he's actually just 130 pounds at 5'7", that's quite thin! From the videos, it looks like his upper body is not getting around quick enough to check out on the landing, so again, weight lifting/upper body strength training could maybe help with that, although I assume he will bulk up some naturally just as he continues to get older and mature. It certainly sounds like he is training/practicing the jump a whole lot though. At this point I wonder if it might be a smart idea to focus more on training a quad, it's clear the 3a does not come so naturally to him, so he might have more success with the quad due to it's taking off like a normal jump. Idk. Just a thought. Injury is just a concern where he keeps attempting and falling on the 3a.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This is all true. I hadn't heard that he had been working on a 4t yet, but his post LP interview sounded like he wanted to work on it this year (he cited Han Yan getting both the 3A and 4T in one year).

And yes, I am a fan of working on upper body strength for jumpers, too. When a kid grows fast, quite often their muscles don't catch up for a while.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I was looking at pictures from JW and I really think strength training will help Jason, looking at pictures of him with the other two medalists, he looks very skinny. http://ffkm.ru/index.php/gallery1/21-jworlds12/115 In this picture you notice how strong and muscular Han Yan's legs are even though his frame is small and compact, Jason's legs are pretty strong and Joshua looks like the thin one because his legs appear so long and skinny and take up most of his body. BUT if you look at this picture http://ffkm.ru/index.php/gallery1/21-jworlds12/115 you realize Josh actually has the broadest shoulders of the bunch and Jason looks very thin/wiry in his upper body. So it makes sense to me, that physically, body types like Han or Josh would be better suited to jumping 3a and quads. Han Yan is just so strong and muscular in a compact package, and Josh is long and lean but with a bigger frame than someone like Jason as noticed by his broad shoulders which help him jump even though he does not appear particularly muscular otherwise. His legs appearing so thin might also just be because he is quite a bit taller than the other medalists, and has long legs for even his own height. Jason looks like he has a more compact body type like Han Yan, so he probably needs to focus on allover strength, upper and lower body, to help develop the harder jumps. Unless of course he is projected to grow a lot more in which case he may be able to just focus on upper body strength primarily. Idk. It was just something I thought of. Han Yan and Joshua Farris have very different body types and both can jump well, and Jason does look quite thin in those pictures.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Jason was named the top athlete at the training camp for up and coming skaters across the country over the summer, I believe it's called STAR Testing or something like that (back issues of Skating Magazine talked about it). He was the strongest pound for pound with great flexibility and agility (I think it tests for those three things with regard to figure skating especially). I am sure he has a great off ice regimen he's following if he was able to be named the top athlete there and is probably just behind in developing upper body strength in the same way he was later in growing than some other men. He reminds me of one of the other skaters in our area who finally shot up 6-8 inches at 17 or 18 years old and finally at 21-22 is putting on upper body muscle.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Jason was named the top athlete at the training camp for up and coming skaters across the country over the summer, I believe it's called STAR Testing or something like that (back issues of Skating Magazine talked about it). He was the strongest pound for pound with great flexibility and agility (I think it tests for those three things with regard to figure skating especially). I am sure he has a great off ice regimen he's following if he was able to be named the top athlete there and is probably just behind in developing upper body strength in the same way he was later in growing than some other men. He reminds me of one of the other skaters in our area who finally shot up 6-8 inches at 17 or 18 years old and finally at 21-22 is putting on upper body muscle.

I didn't know that, that is very impressive. You are probably right. Han Yan is very muscular and physically mature looking for a boy who just turned 16, that probably isn't the norm. As for Joshua, he has always been taller than Jason, they have competed against each other for many years, and even though he still looks to be around 2-3 inches taller, when they were younger, Josh actually used to tower over Jason for a few years there. And last season Josh looked very different, he hadn't filled out in his upper body yet and his legs looked too long for his body, he has matured a lot in the past year or so, you can even tell from his face, he looks much older. So Jason might just be a year or two behind and go through these changes maybe next year or the year after. Hopefully that is the case and when he does go through these changes, maybe it will help him with the 3a? I certainly hope so and it doesn't seem unreasonable.

lcd

Match Penalty
Such an amazingly HAPPY kid. Geez.... though his interview was so consistent with what I know of his personality... saying he "got close" to just about everyone he came across at Junior Worlds. Such a cutie.

I think big talent. He and Joshua remind me of Evan and Johnnie when they first hit the senior scene ~ Nationals in Boston, was it ?? 2001?
Jason by the way is the next coming of "Johnny" and Joshua is the "Evan" in my analogy ... just in case you couldn't figure it out. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Such an amazingly HAPPY kid. Geez.... though his interview was so consistent with what I know of his personality... saying he "got close" to just about everyone he came across at Junior Worlds. Such a cutie.

I think big talent. He and Joshua remind me of Evan and Johnnie when they first hit the senior scene ~ Nationals in Boston, was it ?? 2001?
Jason by the way is the next coming of "Johnny" and Joshua is the "Evan" in my analogy ... just in case you couldn't figure it out. :)

I think his personality is what draws me to him as well. He has such a good attitude about things, especially the consent questioning about the 3A. It's amazing he can find such joy in everything; it's something everyone should strive for.

mskater93

Record Breaker
He was his HS "team captain" at the inaugural HS competition on Monday. Got lost on the way to the rink, ran in threw his skates on, got a 30 second warm up for the jumps segment AND......

hit the boards on the landing of his jump combo. :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
He was fine (just a little embarassed). I believe they did win the "A" group of the competition. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Could you start a thread topic about high school skating teams? I didn't even know there was such a thing!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Could you start a thread topic about high school skating teams? I didn't even know there was such a thing!
Here you go! http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?36507-High-School-Team-Competitions

Back to Jason Brown... here are some excerpts from an IN article published after he had won the JGP Final:
With Jason Brown, what you see is what you get. And what you see is one happy kid.

"I am almost always happy," the 17-year-old Chicagoan said on Dec. 15 [2011]. "I absolutely love the skating process. I love the journey. Some days are lower than others, but it's all just great, to be honest.
Not even questions about the triple Axel, the difficult three-and-a-half revolution jump he is working hard to master, derailed his enthusiasm.

"Of course I don't mind talking about it," he said. "As long as no one gets annoyed by all of my 'It's getting closer, it's getting closer.' As long as no one gets bothered by that, as long as they respect, I guess, where I am with the jump and how we decide to put it out there, and when."
Brown is confident it [the triple Axel] will come in time.

"I work a little with Dartfish, about once a week," he said of the computer imaging system favored by many coaches, including Chan's trainer Christy Krall. "I used to do once a week with the pole harness, and we're doing more and more now."

[Coach Kori] Ade has also brought him to Colorado Springs, where he worked with Kathy Casey, and to Lake Arrowhead to work with former Australian champion Anthony Liu.
Keeping a regular schedule at Highland Park High School, where he is a junior, helps ward off too much pressure.

"There are not a lot of kids who are homeschooled in Chicago," he said. "[School] is a nice break. It's nice to wake up in the morning and go skate, then go to school and then go back to skating.
"I definitely do feel pressure [about the Axel], but I try my hardest. It's definitely something I need, and I so know that. It's something I've worked on for a long time now, and it's a struggle, but it's been such an amazing life lesson throughout the whole thing that I think it's a blessing in disguise not to have it yet."
ETA: Also, Brown mentioned at the end of the article that he has practiced quads (both toe and Salchow were implied) every now and then but not on a regular basis yet.

Last edited:

Scrufflet

Final Flight
When I see this young man skate, I completely forget about marks! He takes me to a special place. I suppose he has to get all the jumps to remain competitive so if that will keep him on the ice, do it!
I had a similar reaction when I saw Jeremy Abbot's two wonderful programs at Nationals. Now THAT'S why I watch skating.