Outside/Inside Edges | Golden Skate

Outside/Inside Edges

Tiffanyyy

Spectator
Alright, so I started skating about 2 weeks ago. I took some lessons when I was about 14, but had to quit because our family lived too far from the rink and my mom was not willing to drive me to lessons anymore. I am now 19 and live literally 5 mins from the rink, so I decided to start up again. I remembered a lot of what I learned when I was younger and am able to do forward crossovers, a two-foot spins (its shaky though), and an outside three turn fairly well. I however cannot seem to hold my edges. My couch is having me hold my outside and inside edges as I glide around a circle, and I cannot for the life of me seem to hold them for very long. I practiced them yesterday on my own and realized that they weren't seeming to get much better.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Tiffany

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Watch the check of your shoulders. You generally want your outside shoulder to lead on forward edges. The stronger the check the easier the edge. You also need to fight against the shoulders falling into the circle. Try and keep them following your circle. Also the basic tricks for pretty much anything engage your ab, back and glut muscles and bend your knee, although the knee bend might cause your circle to become tighter depending on how you do it. Mostly it's just practice and figuring out where your body needs to be. Listen to your coaches advice first, however, and others second since they're one the ice with you.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Watch the check of your shoulders. You generally want your outside shoulder to lead on forward edges. The stronger the check the easier the edge. You also need to fight against the shoulders falling into the circle. Try and keep them following your circle.

I've heard this described as holding an enormous beach ball. If you're gliding (or crossovering) around one of the hockey circles, try turning your upper body just enough to look inside the circle and "hug" the circle with open arms as if it were a huge ball.

Otherwise, I second silver.blades's advice.

treesprite

Final Flight
Also might want to make sure it's your skating and not your skates or your feet (pronation) causing the problem, especially if you are using rental skates.