Will Adelina ever get her confidence back ? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Adelina ever get her confidence back ?

Mirunna

Record Breaker
we're putting not her down
on the contrary, Im hoping there are ways Adelina can get her confidence back
because it seems her mental state is the one that is being affected, I'm not saying she needs to go to a psychologist
but maybe also by other means to get it back

Maybe the confidence issue is a consequence of adapting to the changes of her body. The fact that she can still land the jumps is a good thing and with time, it's very likely she will get her confidence back

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not like she was finishing last in all her competitions this year. This was a learning experience and we've seen great skaters have a rough year like this. Better to do it now then in two years before the Olympics. This happens to these girls at this age with growth spurts but with her talent if she comes through it she will be an even better skater. Add the pressure of everyone last year saying she was the next Olympic champion and skating on the GP with the big girls well of course she might not be as dominate.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Adelina had pretty impressive results; medaling at every competition she entered, on her DEBUT season at senior circuit.

Give her some break. Not only Adelina, all Russian girls will have to face tremendous pressure come Sochi: to meet expectations and to take the OGM as the first female skater from Russia in front of the home crowd.

Even Yuna had some ups and downs during 4 years leading up to Vancouver, where she appeared simply 'untouchable' no matter what. And the result might have been slightly different if the Olympics were held in Korea, instead of Canada, maybe? I guess.

Mao had the worse in the pre-Olympic year when she was off the podium at LA Worlds, did you forget all the frenzy Japanese media went into?

Let her breathe just for now, please. That's what she needs.
In that sense, I am glad Julia won Junior title, Elizaveta did great at Senior Grand Prix this year.
Their results took off some of media attention only to Adelina for sure.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I do think it is a little too early to write her off; all these young ladies well young people one bad skate or one good skate - their either hot stuff or yesterday's news. They are people with real issues. Time will tell for Adelina - she has a hard enough problem surviving puberty and getting out of Russian nationals.

fairly4

Medalist
for me adelina is going through puberty and her jumps are a bit off, when she is settled (done) . she will be fine

Dragonlady

Final Flight
She really struggled through her program at Jr. Worlds but she never gave up. It's just hard to get a handle on that new body of hers. I thought she did very well at JW and I look forward to next season when she's not having silly stumbles because her co-ordination is almost non-existant at the moment.

tampro1

Rinkside
It's probably a blessing that she is going through this growth and transition period well ahead of Sochi. She will be accustomed to her new size and further develop her artistry which is already pretty good. She's the real deal. I'd be more worried for the younger ones who will likely hit puberty in the Olympic year. It's all about timing and you can't stop the inevitable. I always thought Oksana was very fortunate the Olympics were held the year before her body really changed and she lost her jumps. She was never the same skater technically as she was no longer this tiny waif. Adelina seems to be more of a Michelle Kwan (please don't turn this into a Michelle thread!) There are some minor adjustments to be made but she's still a contender. She will be fine next year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm with those who think her season went generally well. Only a handful of skaters in the history of the sport have had stronger senior debut seasons.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Yeah, she did a great job. There are only two teams/skaters that I can think of right now who had stronger seasons. They were Tuktamisheva this year and the Shibutanis last year.