Will Adelina ever get her confidence back ? | Golden Skate

Will Adelina ever get her confidence back ?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Adelina has medaled in all her competitions these season which is not that bad but is sub par to what she is capable of
Adelina has went through a lot this season, she went through puberty as she grew a lot and her body is now more womanly
but it has taken a toll on her confidence as evident in her performance all season not a single clean skate.

With a rest for next season and hopefully her growth spurt will now stop
what are her chances of getting her top form and confidence back ?
I get disappointed when I see her sad face after she skates

Mao88

Record Breaker
Yes she can. However, I would have preferred her to have just avoided junior worlds (which she had already won anyway last year) given the poor season she has had, and focused on getting ready for next season. By then, she will have hopefully got through her growth spurt and early season injury. She made the podium against some very good opposition at these junior worlds. Hence, unlikely to have damaged her confidence much further. I think her Youth Olympics free skate was far worse than today. At the very least therefore, she can take away the fact that her performance in this competition was better than YOG. If anything therefore, it will have given her a very slight boost

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
She is too serious(((She has to deal with pressure like no one else among Russian girls. She was the 1st so-called wonderbaby in Russia - all attention,media hype to her.It's clear that she tries to deal with pressure but that doesn't help much.I'm afraid that she doesn't believe in herself.Due to her words, she does all the elements in her practices but fails them when it counts. I like her more than Tukt or Yulia, so I hope she overcomes her issues. The sooner, the better. Next year will tell

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yes she can. However, I would have preferred her to have just avoided junior worlds (which she had already won anyway last year) given the poor season she has had, and focused on getting ready for next season. By then, she will have hopefully got through her growth spurt and early season injury. She made the podium against some very good opposition at these junior worlds. Hence, unlikely to have damaged her confidence much further. I think her Youth Olympics free skate was far worse than today. At the very least therefore, she can take away the fact that her performance in this competition was better than YOG. If anything therefore, it will have given her a very slight boost

her YOG result was the worst, from her words at the event " I did not deserve to be on the podium "
she has confidence issues, she is going through a lot in her growth spurt , I feel bad for her . but I just don't know when she will get it together

I too believe Adelina is better than Liza and Julia
she is an all around skater, I hope she materializes that again

Krislite

Medalist
One bad season and you're already in doubt? Wasn't it just last year she was already proclaimed the Sochi Olympic Champion? Almost every skater has a bad season or two, she's more than likely to recover. It's next season that will really tell us whether she'll be a medal contender (or even the favorite) for Sochi.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She maybe just need a psychologist. But her season hasn't been that bad. When you have expectations of a particular skater and they don't live up to it, yes it can be a bit of a let down and some start the doom and gloom talk, case in point Dornbush. And now we're asking what can she do to get her confidence back? And there's no point in avoiding competitions because I don't think that would help her confidence at all either. This could just motivate her for next season to continue to improve not only her jumps but her PCS.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Geeze, she's not Superwoman, nobody is, nor is she God. She's human like everybody else, and as such is fallible, meaning she makes mistakes. :disapp:

She simply *cannot* win every time out, nobody has, except of course Sonja Henie, but even she had a few losses at the beginning of her career. Same goes for Michelle Kwan. But those were once-in-a-lifetime skaters. Lets get some perspective here.

She's still only 15 yrs. old, has gone through a growth spurt this year, and YET has still managed to medal every single time out. That's incredible, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelina_Sotnikova

That's a d*mn good record, don't jinx her, rather appreciate the ice she walks/skates on. :bow: Jmho. :)

:love:GREAT JOB, ADELINA, GREAT JOB!:love:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Geeze, she's not Superwoman, nobody is, nor is she God. She's human like everybody else, and as such is fallible, meaning she makes mistakes.

She simply *cannot* win every time out, nobody has, except of course Sonja Henie, but even she had a few losses at the beginning of her career. Same goes for Michelle Kwan. But those were once-in-a-lifetime skaters. Lets get some perspective here.

She's still only 15 yrs. old, has gone through a growth spurt this year, and YET has still managed to medal every single time out. That's incredible, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelina_Sotnikova

That's a d*mn good record, don't jinx her, rather appreciate the ice she walks/skates on. :bow: Jmho. :)

:bow: I agree with everything you said. She had a good season and she should be proud that she medaled at every competition. There is nothing to be ashamed of here.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Adelina is my favorite from the russian babies but it breaks my heart to see her so scared on the ice. Just take a look at her debut this season, 2010 Cup of China SP. I've never seen anyone so scared before the music starts! It was crystal clear something will go wrong. Actually, having an up and down season may benefit her a bit. She is clearly out of the spotlight, with Julia and Liza making a splash this season. Therefore, I think she can focus on her skating rather than the pressure. At this point I think she has a slight advantage, because she already had a big growth spurt and still has her money combo pretty consistent. She needs to work on her stamina and confidence, but it's good to see her skating well. Because I think she skated well at Jr.Worlds.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Geeze, she's not Superwoman, nobody is, nor is she God. She's human like everybody else, and as such is fallible, meaning she makes mistakes. :disapp:

having a growth spurt and still medaling in all competitions is not that bad and I did acknowledge that
I mean her problem is more psychological and that is harder to fix when its mental, I really hope she turns around next season

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
having a growth spurt and still medaling in all competitions is not that bad and I did acknowledge that
I mean her problem is more psychological and that is harder to fix when its mental, I really hope she turns around next season

Ok, people, adolescence is not a disease, even though most parents may inclined to think it is! :laugh: What you've got is growth spurt and raging hormones that naturally affect your emotional states. Most persons come out adolescents without psychologists, believe it or not. :biggrin:

Adelina is already under enormous pressure. If the power to be refers her to see a psychologist, it may stigmatize her in that she may think that 'there is somehting wrong with her.' However, I would not oppose having a psychologist observing her and assess Adelina. Systematic observation and evaluation can be done without Adelina's knowledge and without stigmatizing her. It can be done without pressuring Adelina than she may already be feeling...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Adelina's LP at 2012 junior worlds . she starts to struggle at the middle of the program and you can see she is losing focus ( spins and jumps ) :disapp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDo2AdDb_c0

It is a shame I never got to see her skate this program at her best all season she had problems
this would have been so magical to look at. I feel depressed again

Irishflip

On the Ice
It is a shame I never got to see her skate this program at her best all season she had problems
this would have been so magical to look at. I feel depressed again

Dont be depressed think of it as an opportunity to be blown away by her next season. I like what Christina Gao said about this season "Its a learning experience." Because it applies to both of them and now she has something draw upon and knows she's made of tough stuff.

Vash01

Medalist
Adelina is just 15. She has lots of time to work through various things and develop into a better and more consistent skater. She went through a valley this year, after seeing the top last year. I am sure she will move up again and reach another peak. It's only a matter of time.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think with the right coaching, psychologist, family and some time off as well as quality time on the ice and she will be fine. There can (usually) be only one olympic champion; we shouldn't pressure her. She had a rough season but many of us would be so lucky to have such a horrible season - medalling in each event. The fact she can still do a triple triple with the growth spurt not bad. She just needs to grow into herself and who she is - I hope people will allow her to grow and grow up. I do agree she has the total package but if it doesn't work out Russia still has the Polina's, ET and Lipinskaya in the future or they can make do with Makarova and or Leonova - maybe one of them wants to move to Canada???

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I really don't get what's so bad happened to Adelina that caused all of the discussions about her inconsistency and "will she ever get her confidence back". I don't even think she had an off season. When, for example, Gracie Gold last year didn't even qualify for Junior Nationals - that was an off season. Or Makarova, who is going nowhere, has an off season. Adelina actually medaled at every cometition she entered, has 2 senior GP medals and 3rd National title. Can she do better? Of course she can. Right now she is just gaining experience and learning to compete at the highest level, considering her growth spurt she didn't do bad at all.

noidont

Final Flight
Adelina is a Cancer baby...very mercurial and easy to get unsure about herself. Ok. It's horoscope voodoo but...

seniorita

Record Breaker
I really don't get what's so bad happened to Adelina that caused all of the discussions about her inconsistency and "will she ever get her confidence back". I don't even think she had an off season. When, for example, Gracie Gold last year didn't even qualify for Junior Nationals - that was an off season. Or Makarova, who is going nowhere, has an off season. Adelina actually medaled at every cometition she entered, has 2 senior GP medals and 3rd National title. Can she do better? Of course she can. Right now she is just gaining experience and learning to compete at the highest level, considering her growth spurt she didn't do bad at all.

I agree completely. I never understand how people are ready to announce some skater next Oly Champion cause she has a win win season and send to psycologist a skater who just didnt have the season she had last year. Not just juniors, seniors also, Mirai for example.And yet Kostner, Alissa and Akiko are of the best skaters right now.
Adelina had a great season if you think it was her first senior year, why people thought why she should be dominatin a la Yuna ,so early at least? Look her Jw2011 lp, the girl has grown A LOT, it is enough she grows to adult under the spotlight as the favorite,dont put her down more. I bet the same discussion will be for elisaveta and julia in the future and it is pointless.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
we're putting not her down
on the contrary, Im hoping there are ways Adelina can get her confidence back
because it seems her mental state is the one that is being affected, I'm not saying she needs to go to a psychologist
but maybe also by other means to get it back