Someone Confirm! | Golden Skate

Someone Confirm!

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
NO?!

This can't be!

SIMSBURY -- One day after delivering homemade Christmas cookies to the staff at the International Skating Center of Connecticut, Sasha Cohen delivered a bombshell Tuesday to her coach.
Cohen has split with Tatiana Tarasova, her coach the last 18 months, and hired Robin Wagner, who coached Sarah Hughes in her gold-medal victory at the Salt Lake City Olympics last year. The stunning move comes only 12 days before the U.S. Figure Skating Championships Jan. 4-11 in Atlanta.
A two-time U.S. silver medalist and the Grand Prix Final champion last year, Cohen did not appear at her training home for either her morning or afternoon practice session with Tarasova Tuesday, but she was the talk of the arena by nightfall. Tarasova, who has coached eight Olympic champions including reigning gold medalist Alexei Yagudin, worked with a young dance team instead.
Cohen, 19, couldn't be reached for comment and Wagner didn't return phone calls. Jon Zieky, ISCC president, confirmed the coaching change.
"I think it was an amicable split," he said. "I talked to both parties, and they seem fine with this."
A Long Island resident, Wagner may coach Cohen at the Simsbury rink as early as today. "I don't think there are plans for Sasha to leave yet," Zieky said.
Hughes, a Yale freshman, hasn't competed since finishing sixth in the world championships last March.
Despite Cohen and Tarasova often expressing their admiration, respect and mutual love for each other, signs of a difference in philosophy surfaced prior to a pro-am in Auburn Hills, Mich., on Dec. 5, seven days before the Grand Prix Final in Colorado. Tarasova wanted Cohen, sick at the time, to skip the pro-am but she competed anyway. Cohen fell three times and finished third. A week later, she fell three times at the Grand Prix Final and finished second despite winning three Grand Prix events this year.
This is Cohen's second surprise coaching change in a year and a half. During the spring of 2002, she split with longtime coach John Nicks in California and moved to Avon with her family that June to train with Tarasova, who then worked at the Connecticut International Skating Center in Newington.

Taan

On the Ice
http://www.sunspot.net/sports/bal-sp.digest24dec24,0,423097.column?coll=bal-sports-featured

U.S. figure skater Cohen switching to Hughes' coach

Sasha Cohen, a two-time U.S. figure skating silver medalist and the Grand Prix final champion last year, has split with Tatiana Tarasova, her coach the past 18 months, and hired Robin Wagner, who coached Sarah Hughes to a gold medal at the 2002 Olympics.

The U.S. championships are Jan. 4-11 in Atlanta.

Hughes, a Yale freshman, has not competed since finishing sixth at the world championships last March.

Germanice

On the Ice
If this is true ...

... I've to say I'm disappointed. Not a smart move at all! Sasha Cohen is (was?) one of the rare examples of (US) Lady skaters with a real interesting personality. She's always outstanding, but Tatiana Tarasova added true class and style to her. Okay, I'm aware she wasn't finished, I'm aware about her tremendous lack of consistancy, but to me that wasn't Tarasova's fault. There should've been another way to solve the problem than to switch coaches. Now, with the move to Miss Wagner, Cohen lost a big chance to become a true class of her own. It looks like a huge decline to me. I'm just hoping she still remains herself. The last thing figure skating needs is another puppet on a string, another one of these typical sugar-coated Dollar-princesses. :(

Anke

No one is going to solve Sasha's personal problems. TT gave her some real good plusses and that wonderful Swan Lake routine. No offence to Robin (I believe she is a top coach) but what more can she give Sasha?

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Stupid question...

...I have to confess I don't do a very good job of recording in my brain who has had which coaches. I know Robin Wagner is a top coach - can someone provide a top skater names that Robin has coached in addition to Sarah? I'm sure there are many - I'm just bad at tracking that.

I know it's important that a coach and skater have a good personality mesh. And I'm sure the top coaches are capable of dealing with many personality types. I can't say for sure what Sasha and Sarah are like "off camera" because I don't know them. But my impression is that their personalities are VERY different. My impressions of Sarah is that she's level headed and keeps her cool. My impression of Sasha is that she's emotional and strong willed and temperamental. It will be interesting to see what next season brings. And the rest of this season too for that matter, although I just can't see how a mid-stream change at this late date could have a positive impact. Who knows though...

Wish I were a fly on the wall at the rink where Sasha trains.

DG

nymkfan51

Medalist
This was certainly unexpected!

My only thoughts on what Robin can provide to Sasha that TT couldn't, might be a more competitive spirit. It's hard to tell if Sarah was as great a competitor as she was because of her personality ... or did Robin have alot to do with her being that way. I agree though, that it's hard to imagine that someone can be taught to be that way. It's sort of ... either you are or you're not.

I guess we will see ... stay tuned!!!

nymkfan51 said:
My only thoughts on what Robin can provide to Sasha that TT couldn't, might be a more competitive spirit. It's hard to tell if Sarah was as great a competitor as she was because of her personality ... or did Robin have alot to do with her being that way? I agree though, that it's hard to imagine that someone can be taught to be that way. It's sort of ... either you are or you're not.
I guess we will see ... stay tuned!!!
Excellent question, Nymkfan, about whether Wagner had anything to do with Sarah's competive drive or if you either have it or you don't. I wrote most of what I think of the other thread, but IMO and from my experience, to a certain extent and if the student is willing, many things you would think can't be taught can--especiallly at a relatively young age.

Of course I have no idea whether this is a good move for Sasha or not. As you said, "Stay tuned!"
Rgirl
PS Man, now I REALLY wish i could go to Nationals! It was exciting enough with Michelle and Sasha, IF Sasha didn't "screw the pooch" and came in 2nd, plus with Jenny, AP, etc. vying for a spot on the team and always the possibility of an upset anywhere along the lines. But now with this! Whoa, Nelly! The arean in Atlanta sure will be buzzin'! You all who are going, try to listen in on as much gossip as possible, okay? Oh, and watch the skating too, lol.

Matt

On the Ice
This is like a soap opera

How very interesting that Sasha Cohen leaves a Russian (Tarasova) for an American (Wagner, her first American coach. John Nicks was technically British) and MK is now training with a Russian coach! (Rafael Arutunian):rolleye:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Re: This is like a soap opera

Matt said:
How very interesting that Sasha Cohen leaves a Russian (Tarasova) for an American (Wagner, her first American coach. John Nicks was technically British) and MK is now training with a Russian coach! (Rafael Arutunian):rolleye:
Well since Nicks is "technically" British, Artunian is "technically" Armenian :)

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
switching coaches

Figure skaters are lucky they have this luxury. I am on my school's debate team, and I admit, in debate, if you switch coaches, you can get burned. I've met a lot of talented speakers and debaters who weren't judged properly because of a coaching change...

That said, both TT and SC have pretty fiery personalities. Remember last year when almost all of her dancers left her? And then, of course, the clip on ABC Sports when TT was congratulating Michelle Kwan after winning Nationals last year, and towards the right was SC, sitting down, sulking...I think SC really wants a coach who will let her have it her way all time every time...she's always looked a bit like a spoiled brat to me (her whole family moved to the east coast for her...not even Lipinski's family did that for her)...and TT probably was upset with her when she chose to compete in Michigan, when she was specifically told not to.

Robin Wagner will definitely EARN her dollars when she begins coaching SC.

Maybe SC really needs to start failing, I mean really failing in order for her to realize that she shouldn't always be trying to get her way. The only difference between her, Nicole, and even Tonya Harding, was that she (SC) comes to practice. The three of them always wanted total control of their skating...and, in a sport like this, in anything competitive, it's always 65-35...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: Stupid question...

Doggygirl said:
...I have to confess I don't do a very good job of recording in my brain who has had which coaches. I know Robin Wagner is a top coach - can someone provide a top skater names that Robin has coached in addition to Sarah? I'm sure there are many - I'm just bad at tracking that.

DG

while I'm sure she coached more than Sarah... Sarah is the only one that has had awesome success

Jhar55

Medalist
Doggygirl, the only top skater that I know of whom Robin has coached is Sarah. Before that I've never heard of her. But guess all coaches have to start some where. Personaly I don't thik it will last.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
well, doesn't one article state that it was TT's HEALTH that was the main reason? maybe she just got tired of coaching and wanted to focus more on regaining her health which is more important.. and should be for everyone. maybe we should take it at face value.. so many people are reading a lot into all this. their fiery temperaments, TT's tactless comments once, etc.

it won't matter one bit if sasha can't translate it all into clean performances when it counts. that's the bottom line. switching coaches could be a bad start or it might have been wise... we shall know in....let's say... a few weeks?:p

gracefulswan

On the Ice
but truthfully... might have to wait till worlds before wagner can really be affective. and i know sasha can skate clean performances if she's on... and doesn't choke all the time.. didn't she beat kwan in the opening comp. of the season with an ALMOST clean performance? she skated after kwan and knew that she only needed to be relatively clean.. she can do it, she just needs to find that consistency.

i understand that relatively clean might not be good enough against a very clean kwan... but then again, it's very very difficult to be totally clean..even kwan has to peak right at the necessary time and hasn't done it every single nationals or worlds. (though she has been spotless in just as many nationals and worlds she's won as not):D

Hermione_Granger

On the Ice
Why would Sasha want to leave Tatiana ? :confused:
I think Tatiana is a much better coach than Robin.
This isn't a very good move on Sasha's part. :(

--Hermione

gracefulswan said:
well, doesn't one article state that it was TT's HEALTH that was the main reason? maybe she just got tired of coaching and wanted to focus more on regaining her health which is more important.. and should be for everyone. maybe we should take it at face value.. so many people are reading a lot into all this. their fiery temperaments, TT's tactless comments once, etc.

it won't matter one bit if sasha can't translate it all into clean performances when it counts. that's the bottom line. switching coaches could be a bad start or it might have been wise... we shall know in....let's say... a few weeks?:p

Gracefulswan - That's the way to go. Has anyone actually found out reasons for the split? I'm reading into so many posts here that the reason is Sasha is dissatisfied with TT. But we don't know that at least from these posts. I would actually like to know the reason(s) for the split. I'm kinda saddened by the news because that Campbell's skate was so magnificent.

Why Wagner? Just as much a guess as to why the split. Certainly the Nats won't really answer of this, but eventually we will know answers to the two questions.

In the meantime, let's give best wishes to both TT and Sasha.

Joe