Happy Pulaski Day to Everyone at Golden Skate | Golden Skate

Happy Pulaski Day to Everyone at Golden Skate

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Believe it or not, the first Monday in March is the date of the official celebration of Pulaski Day (birthday of Revolutionary War General Casimir Pulaski). In states with a significant Polish population, it can be an official holiday, or just an excuse for a festival.

I was looking around for something Pulaski day-ish to post and found this link (please excuse the Google add on the front of it) and found this song. It was not what I expected!

Pulaski Day by Kidd Russell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PehRPYbhCg

There is also a polka celebration of the old sort in Wisconsin, but it's in July-much better for the beer & pierogis then.

http://www.pulaskipolkadays.com/

Well, and a happy Pulaski Day to you!

In Detroit, where there is a substantial Polish population, we celebrate Paczki ("Punch-key") Day. All the Polish bakeries sell paczkis (jelly donuts) on Shrove Tuesday, and there is a big parade in Hamtramck (an independent city completely surrounded by Detroit). But you have to get up early to get any paczkis, because they are sold out by 9:00.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Are the paczkis, as sold, different from jelly donuts-what flavor jelly do they use (I am a big fan of jelly donuts)

Oh, now you've done it! After a virtuous lunch made up mostly of roasted veggies and a square of ultra-dark chocolate, I am now planning where to stop for a jelly donut this evening after work. Of course it will be in honor of all Pulaskis and for no other reason! (I love jelly donuts, too, though I can walk by an entire cake or a non-chocolate ice cream sundae without turning a hair.) Though most all donuts are good, there's something extra special about a donut with a little pocket of grape or strawberry jelly inside.

Happy Pulaski Day to you two also, and to the rest of GS.

A pascki is to a jelly donut as Plushenko is to an Intermediate trying out his first double Salchow.

These things are huge. And rich. Never mind the jelly filling, the tradition of Fat Tuesday is to use up every crock of butter, bucket of lard, and sack of sugar in the house in preparation for Lent, and don’t forget the eggs. :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
OOOO I want one--and I spotted a donut shop locally that says they sometimes SELL them!!!

Thank you.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Believe it or not, the first Monday in March is the date of the official celebration of Pulaski Day (birthday of Revolutionary War General Casimir Pulaski). In states with a significant Polish population, it can be an official holiday, or just an excuse for a festival.

In NYC, the annual Pulaski Day parade was held in the fall.

Yes, that's what I found online, too, chuckm. I wonder what the explanation is.

I couldn't find the special donut, but I did get a jelly donut on the way home, and it was delicious. I'm sure it's but a pale imitation of a pascki, but it's heaps better than a lot of other goodies, and it hit the spot. I stayed late at work to help paste labels on dozens of folders we're preparing for a presentation, so a reward was in order.