Who Is The Best Male Skater In Japan Now? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who Is The Best Male Skater In Japan Now?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am still rooting for Oda to win a Worlds medal.

Daisuke has Oda's math blunders to thank for some of his gold medals.

Skate America 2010. So lets see that makes one minor competition over many years, so fortunate. Oda can be thankful whenever Takahashi makes enough mistakes to even lets him be close, a clean Takahashi will always destroy a clean Oda and his immature skating.

Oda losing 2010 Skate America to Takahashi in which Oda Zayakked was not as controversial as him losing 2010 Skate Canada to Chan, who fell four times in total.

Indeed but dont expect in a million years SkateFiguring to ever admit to that.

Last edited:

noidont

Final Flight
Okay, I am a big Oda fan and I think in his best days he is even better than Takahashi, and I still have strong hope that he can make it to Sochi. Thing is, Kozuka is artistically lacking and relying on hit-and-miss jumps. Hanyu is still not a sophisticated enough skater. When I watched Oda and Hanyu live together at COC last year the likability gap between them was major.

But yeah, the zayak habit.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Takahashi might have a hard time in the next two years as the other guys continue to push the sport technically. Dai will turn 26 in a few days and his body is getting worn out at least jumpwise. His artistry and performance skills will still put him near the top though but it might get tougher.

hurrah

Medalist
Daisuke, IMO, is the most artistically talented skater in Japan now. Not only that, he is one of the top 3 most artistic skaters of all time.
Technically, I'm not sure if he will regain a stable quad again. He is trying now, and time will tell.
Kozu is not so expressive. However, I forget which performance it was but I did find myself crying once when I saw him perform this season's LP because it was so quietly intense. I think Kozu has had difficulties this season because he was trying to improve his quad jump. He changed his entry technique, successfully I might add, and it's gotten solid. I really like Kozu alot.
I don't see Hanyu as an artist per se but he's just very, very appealing. He may one day become Japan's no. 1 but he still needs to improve on his skating skills. I hope he does!

deedee1

Record Breaker
I second that. He can do it all.

Sorry for being biased a little...but I will third that!

Dai is such a versatile skater with wide range of styles.
Give him any music, he will make it come alive anyday!

K

kilyca

When I support a favorite skater, we Japanese enjoys it in this way.
http://youtu.be/WvGw8E2DN9E

(All the members are the skaters who are the best in Japan each! I forgot to write so it. ...orz.... I add it now though it is late. Mar 16)

Last edited:
K

kilyca

He is such a fantastic performer and crowd pleaser, isn't he?

Only if he could land harder jumps...how many times have I had wished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb41MdWevqU

I agree with you. Akio always pleases us very much.
Akio is the best male skater in Japan about making the audience laugh!
He seemed to recognize that video (http://youtu.be/WvGw8E2DN9E) officially.:laugh:

It is splendid that his exact Lutz jump.
(There is a rumor that he can do 4lutz. The truth is not sure.)
His 3A should be stable at least.

Last edited:

lcd

Match Penalty
Wonderful commeraderia and progress amongst them. I think Dai is amazing and iconic and the best now, but Taka is ripening like a wonderful wine in his own time. Such talent and multi dimensional artistry blended with athleticism. Bastion of all the best that skating IS and can be, IMO.

periperi

On the Ice
When I support a favorite skater, we Japanese enjoys it in this way.
http://youtu.be/WvGw8E2DN9E

:bow: Thank you so much for posting this! I had no idea before this video who Akio was... so thank you!

To answer this thread's question: My personal favorite is Kozuka, if that wasn't already obvious, but he just has not done his job defending his #1 spot. Takahashi so far seems to be the clear favorite among most of us to secure the highest spot at Worlds because of what he's put out there this season. The judges obviously also agree based on their scores. So I'll have to say that Daisuke is Japan's best right now.

My problem with Kozuka isn't that he doesn't have the ability to express his music because I think he does (I know people will find that debatable), but that he is seriously lacking in the fire/command/presence department. Kozuka is one of the world's best, but he doesn't act like it when he gets out there and constantly keeps his eyes down on the ice and not on the judges or on the audience. It doesn't help that Kozuka is one of those skaters who simply lacks that natural it quality, that on top of that, he's restricting his audiences' ability to connect with him by seeming so... indifferent? I don't know if that's the right word. I do enojoy the subtle elgance to his movements though, and he can take command every now and then - personally, during his LP at Japanese Nats, I was really feeling the program the whole way through for the first time since he had debuted it at JO, and I caught him looking straight at the judges a few times. kinda needs to do that more. Just my two cents.

deedee1

Record Breaker
:bow: Thank you so much for posting this! I had no idea before this video who Akio was... so thank you!

Hi periperi,

Some more videos of Akio for you. Enjoy!

SP 2011-12 season:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb41MdWevqU

LP 2011-12 season:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p818Yj5WeJ4

EX 2007-08 season: reminder...You SHOULD watch THIS ONE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o732m7MngP0

Akio is so popular among skating fans in Japan.
Such a natural born performer and crowd pleaser, since still cmpeting as a Junior skater.

But he struggles with harders jumps, especially with 3A after moved up to Senior circuit. Such a shame. It makes me feel sad that there are not many opportunities to introduce Akio's talent to skating fans in the world.
My wish is, he can finish top 5 at the Nationals in the near future, so that he will get a GP spot, hopefully a host pick at NHK Torophy. Ganbare, Akio!

K

kilyca

To answer this thread's question: My personal favorite is Kozuka, if that wasn't already obvious, but he just has not done his job defending his #1 spot. Takahashi so far seems to be the clear favorite among most of us to secure the highest spot at Worlds because of what he's put out there this season. The judges obviously also agree based on their scores. So I'll have to say that Daisuke is Japan's best right now.

My problem with Kozuka isn't that he doesn't have the ability to express his music because I think he does (I know people will find that debatable), but that he is seriously lacking in the fire/command/presence department. Kozuka is one of the world's best, but he doesn't act like it when he gets out there and constantly keeps his eyes down on the ice and not on the judges or on the audience. It doesn't help that Kozuka is one of those skaters who simply lacks that natural it quality, that on top of that, he's restricting his audiences' ability to connect with him by seeming so... indifferent? I don't know if that's the right word. I do enojoy the subtle elgance to his movements though, and he can take command every now and then - personally, during his LP at Japanese Nats, I was really feeling the program the whole way through for the first time since he had debuted it at JO, and I caught him looking straight at the judges a few times. kinda needs to do that more. Just my two cents.

I am glad that you were interested in Akio. Let's cheer him together!:party2:

About his problem that you point out. Kozuka notices it by oneself, too. His character is very modest and is faithful.
Therefore he asked David Wilson for choreography to improve it.
As you know, David Wilson brought up Yuna Kim (she was shy) to the skater whom she was able to appeal to by expression.
As for Kozuka, feeling(sense) of the quad is becoming certain.
I think that he is almost equal to Patrick Chan when Kozuka succeeded in improvement of his expression.
At that time, I hope that a judge evaluates it appropriately.

I forgot to write an important thing, again!
There is the word 小塚万能説"Kozuka almighty theory" among the Japanese fans.
David Wilson said in this way, too. "It is pleasant to teach him because Kozuka can do anything"
As an example, this is his one side, too!
http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/201108/29/94/b0038294_20314381.jpg
http://michiko-world.cocolog-nifty.com/michiko_world/images/2011/08/29/o0480036011445028820.jpg

Last edited:

ryanbfan

On the Ice
I know this thread is asking Who is the Best Male Skater in Japan right now, but I love Takahiko Kozuka so much. I think he's my favorite competitive mens skater right now (I feel it'd be wrong to strip Ryan of the "Andrea's favorite male skater title", don't you agree?).