Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who Is The Best Male Skater In Japan Now?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    What bad press was the Japanese Federation facing at that time???
    Mostly an embezzlement scandal and cooking the books. It was largely an isolated incident but the media really laid into the federation. Oda's arrest was used as ammunition against them in that the federation was corrupt and lacked oversight of its skaters.

kilyca
    The current best is Daisuke. However, Yuzuru understands what is not enough to oneself and tries for improvement.I will think that Yuzuru becomes best in the near future.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Welcome to Golden Skate, kilyca! Post long and often!

kilyca
    Thank you!
    Many Japanese like me are interested in the opinion of all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Srin Odessa View Post
    Mostly an embezzlement scandal and cooking the books. It was largely an isolated incident but the media really laid into the federation. Oda's arrest was used as ammunition against them in that the federation was corrupt and lacked oversight of its skaters.

wth? Oda was arrested? total story requested.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    wth? Oda was arrested? total story requested.
    Prior to the season 2007-8, one night on his way home after having some alcoholic beverages, Nobu was driving his moped when the police stopped him for alcohol in blood test (idk the appropriate word in English, does this make sense to you?) He was arrested by DUI, and it was a big news in Japan back then.

Figure Skating was already a big sport business by then because of Shizuka, Miki, Mao, Dai. Nobu was such a promising and adorable skater. People in Japan may tend to require their top athletes to be good role models not only in the sport, but in every aspects of Japanese society. His family's name is hugely famous as the successor of Nobunaga Oda (old Japanese Shogun?)...
    There were a couple of reasons I guess, but Japanese media a sort of 'went crazy' about his DUI incident.
    As a result, Nobu and his team had no other choice but skip the whole season.
    Last edited by deedee1; 03-06-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Custom Title
    I think Dai is Japan's best right now. He is like Lambiel, Buttle and gulp Chan. Dai can beat Chan when Dai is on and maybe if Chan makes an error but we have seen great skates from Daisuke and if he gets his quad back consistently he'll be in the running for OGM or WGM. He has perhaps the best presence on the ice including Chan. Hanyu has huge potential and Kozuka will need the quad but both could beat Dai - Dai though if on is the best skater - he has the jumps, the pcs and "it" factor. Though personally I'd like to see him once in a while in not such a mod look. I do think Oda will be off the Japanese team with Hanyu and others coming up but this could change. If Dai wins WGM this year he may decide to retire - with two years to go to OGM this is the skaters decide if they go on for two years or retire - hard to retire with one year left before Olympics.

CURRENTLY, Dai!!! Future .... probably Hanyu.

Custom Title
    Takahashi has been the best in Japan for many years, except for the year when he was injured and did not compete. He has it all. Hanyu can develop in a few years, but right now he is not close to Takahashi in maturity. Kozuka is #3 in my book. He has good basics, but no personality. Again, he needs a few years to overtake Takahashi. By 2014 the three of them could be nearly equal, with Daisuke getting older, and the other two developing a more mature presentation.

Banned
    First, I thought the title of this thread is some kind of joke. Then I discovered that some people actually seriously discuss WHO is the best male skater in Japan now when the megastar has been known for years. As well as a female megastar in Japan is also well known WHO.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Prior to the season 2007-8, one night on his way home after having some alcoholic beverages, Nobu was driving his moped when the police stopped him for alcohol in blood test (idk the appropriate word in English, does this make sense to you?) He was arrested by DUI, and it was a big news in Japan back then.

Figure Skating was already a big sport business by then because of Shizuka, Miki, Mao, Dai. Nobu was such a promising and adorable skater. People in Japan may tend to require their top athletes to be good role models not only in the sport, but in every aspects of Japanese society. His family's name is hugely famous as the successor of Nobunaga Oda (old Japanese Shogun?)...
    There were a couple of reasons I guess, but Japanese media a sort of 'went crazy' about his DUI incident.
    As a result, Nobu and his team had no other choice but skip the whole season.
    I don't think it was a choice at wrong but a penalty imposed by the Japanese Fed. I wrote to them at the time to protest it. (They didn't answer.) He had a tiny amount of alcohol in his blood, from (IIRC) a beer drunk before a nap. He thought that after the nap he could proceed on his way. I'm still upset about the theft of one of his prime competitive seasons for such a trivial reason. No one was hurt. The penalty was excessive.

I believe that Oda voluntarily imposed a tougher penalty on himself that the Japanese Federation did. I don't remember the details, but I think the Federation held him out of several events, but Nobunari himself decided to forego the whole season as a further penance.

Custom Title
    Mathman is correct.
    JSF imposed a penalty, something like 3 months refrainment to Nobu, but they also offered Nobu chances to compete at the Regionals and the Nats in Deceember if he wanted.

However, what made me upset back then is I felt JSF did not back him up fully enough, owing to JSF's own big scandal of the illegal usage of fund the previous year.

It looked to me they did it for their own sake, rather than encouraging Nobu to think positively about competing again and helping his comeback easier; which is if Nobu could not make the team for the Worlds that season, they had to rely on Dai and Taka only, so that Japan might lose their third spot, they feared.

Custom Title
    I am still rooting for Oda to win a Worlds medal.

Daisuke has Oda's math blunders to thank for some of his gold medals.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I am still rooting for Oda to win a Worlds medal.

Daisuke has Oda's math blunders to thank for some of his gold medals.
    What has this statement have to do with being the best skater in Japan?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast