Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who Is The Best Male Skater In Japan Now?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I am still rooting for Oda to win a Worlds medal.

Daisuke has Oda's math blunders to thank for some of his gold medals.
    Takahashi is hardly the only one who has benefited from Oda's Zayakking habit as he has done in international competitions also.

Oda losing 2010 Skate America to Takahashi in which Oda Zayakked was not as controversial as him losing 2010 Skate Canada to Chan, who fell four times in total.
    Last edited by mikeko666; 03-07-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring
    What a nice way of being begrudging towards a skater - completly unneeded

I don't like saying that, but I don't think Oda has good chances of coming back either... by now, Japans No. 1 is Takahashi, hands down.
    Kozuka is a pretty tough case for me... he passed Takahashi last year, but couldn't hold up to it this season. I'm just missing the fire about him, he doesn't seem like a real fighter (at least to me), and so I'm just not expecting him to become a real champion. I don't mind him proving me wrong - but even if he'd become Japans best again, I don't think it would be for longer than one season...
    And Hanyu's development has been pretty crazy. He's got all the talent in the world, great jumps, spins, nice speed and flow, musicality... he's still not at Takahashis ranks, but if I look at how much he's grown from last year, I wouldn't even be suprised if he kicked everyone's butt (except for Chan's) already next year. If injury-free, I at least expect him to be a contender come Sochi.

And Japan still has Machida and Mura... I still think the limitation down to 3 skaters per country sucks - for Oda too, I just can't see him passing Takahashi, Kozuka or Hanyu.

Custom Title
    Takahashi has reclaimed the title I think this year. I agree Oda though good has a tough climb. Add to his pressures that he has a family to look after it is a lot. We don't want to write him off though. You never know but Japan has such a wealth of wonderful all around skaters. It will be interesting if Dai wins WGM and will he retire - this is the big year for skaters in respect to retirements.

Banned
    so easy

The CURRENT and FUTURE SUPERSTAR

Yuzru HANYU !!!!!

Custom Title
    Daisuke is the seasoned, matured, brilliantly realized skater who's at his peak. He's da man, the art in men's figure skating. Daisuke has the warm comforting guardian fire, that warms and soothes, with controlled bursts of brilliance that simply delights and thrills. He controls the blue fire like a magician and a stuntman with imagination and craft. His Japanese Nationals was white hot, crazy amazing in the best way possible.

Hanyu is the future. Exciting, fresh, and full of potentials to be realized, hopefully by Sochi. He has already incredible artistry for his age, a deep appreciation and respect towards putting out technically challenging programs that are worthy of championships. He is certainly not the one to take it easy and rely on strategy or taking advantage of rules, or taking granted of reputation this year. He has desire to do it all. A quietly burning passionate young man, with his own sort of white fire and desire to do well. Great work ethics with infectious goodness to bravely race towards to the skating gods Parthenon, he is full of infinite possibilities! And I really want him to fully realize his potentials in the future with no injuries and health problems because these are the only things that can stop him rise to the top.

At the beginning of the year, many seemed to have had Artur = Hanyu much to my amusement (I basically thought they are barmy mad), may be due the scores/result had them closer than they should. The two are certainly no way on the same level. Hanyu is way ahead imo but did not have the momentum (newbie on the scene), the reputation building and the full backing from Japan at the time who has their own ranked skater to push for.

I have to say, I have never been really a fan of Kozuka. As amazed as I am at times by his technical wizardry, he ruined my favourite piece of OST for Nausicaä vally of the wind, which takes incredible achievement given it is one of the most haunting and lyrical piece of music around. Hisaishi even created a beautiful modernized version of the music just for him, yet Kozuka failed to make the connection from his 1st performance at Japan Open till the most recent. How can you skate to something you picked yourself, been bespoke for you and still fail to make the emotional connection to make it fly. It says alot about his deficiency as a musical skater, interpreter and in particular his lack of rhythm. His work has always been emotionally cold and detached for me to fully appreciate his performance. Which is odd, because I really enjoyed his Gala at last worlds championship where he was clearly let loose and enjoyed himself.

Oda... not my cuppa of tea, can't do maths, is he Asian?
    Last edited by os168; 03-08-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Takahashi has reclaimed the title I think this year. I agree Oda though good has a tough climb. Add to his pressures that he has a family to look after it is a lot. We don't want to write him off though. You never know but Japan has such a wealth of wonderful all around skaters. It will be interesting if Dai wins WGM and will he retire - this is the big year for skaters in respect to retirements.
    Takahashi will not retire after this season even if he wins WGM this month. This is just the first season of his three season project aiming for Sochi. That's why he had his screw in knee removed last summer and started late this season, and went to France to re-work on his basic skating skills. He was not looking for short term results this season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko666 View Post
    Takahashi will not retire after this season even if he wins WGM this month. This is just the first season of his three season project aiming for Sochi. That's why he had his screw in knee removed last summer and started late this season, and went to France to re-work on his basic skating skills. He was not looking for short term results this season.
    Good! Then he'll be staying around for at least the next two years. What a treat to contemplate!

Os168, of course I love your description of Daisuke.
    Last edited by Olympia; 03-08-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy View Post
    Dai will probably place highest at this years worlds, but I sort of feel like he skating at his upper limit technically. Also I think he should lose 1/2 a point everytime he slides his hand along his cheek and then rolls his head.
    I think Takahashi is in his upper limit both technically and artistically. In other words, he has regained all his technical abilities which he had had before his injury. His artistry, though very full and proper in the themes he is portraying, has rather narraw limitation in range. He needs to skate his very best against the technically best in the world.

Hanyu seems ready to break out and he's at the age where he starts adding bulk instead of height. He should get stronger and with better endurance soon. I think he has a complete package of technique and presentation
    I agree on this too. I think Hanyu has the best technical abilities among all Japanese skaters. We haven't seen his peak yet. He needs a bit mileage on everything. He could probably dominate Japan as eary as next season.

Oda seems done to me
    Technically, I don't think Oda could do any better than before. But I hope he won't be done just now. He ought to have something before he leave this competitive ice, or it won't be right.

Mura I like a lot but haven't seen enough to understand his current trajectory

Machida is all about the jumps, don't care his programs usually, seems he'll be a 3 to 6 ranked skater usually, though we've seen skaters break out of that rut before
    Are you sure the names are correct? I thought it was the opposit. I thought Mura is like a jumping bean, but Machida has a lot flare and quite artistic and also good at jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    I thought Takahiko was starting it (to surpass, I mean) last season, by crashing Dai at the Nationals and got the silver at Worlds, but somehow has failed to keep on doing it this season.
    I thought that too last season. I guess his huge ambition in the beginning of this season has hurt his confidence greatly when it went wrong the first time at SA. Don't know if this is his technical upper limit?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I think Takahashi is in his upper limit both technically and artistically. In other words, he has regained all his technical abilities which he had had before his injury. His artistry, though very full and proper in the themes he is portraying, has rather narraw limitation in range. He needs to skate his very best against the technically best in the world.
    I don't know if I get your meaning correctly; but I disagree with limitation in Daisuke artistic size. Look at his programs from recent previous season; in three years, he skate to blue, tango, Latin, New Age, Movie Soundtrack, lyrical. And all of them have different feeling. I wouldn't say that Daisuke has a narrow range of artistry at all.

Quote Originally Posted by treeloving View Post
    I don't know if I get your meaning correctly; but I disagree with limitation in Daisuke artistic size. Look at his programs from recent previous season; in three years, he skate to blue, tango, Latin, New Age, Movie Soundtrack, lyrical. And all of them have different feeling. I wouldn't say that Daisuke has a narrow range of artistry at all.
    I totally agree with you. IMO Dai's artistic capabilities are not limited at all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I am still rooting for Oda to win a Worlds medal.

Skate America 2010. So lets see that makes one minor competition over many years, so fortunate. Oda can be thankful whenever Takahashi makes enough mistakes to even lets him be close, a clean Takahashi will always destroy a clean Oda and his immature skating.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeko666 View Post
    Oda losing 2010 Skate America to Takahashi in which Oda Zayakked was not as controversial as him losing 2010 Skate Canada to Chan, who fell four times in total.
    Indeed but dont expect in a million years SkateFiguring to ever admit to that.
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 03-09-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Okay, I am a big Oda fan and I think in his best days he is even better than Takahashi, and I still have strong hope that he can make it to Sochi. Thing is, Kozuka is artistically lacking and relying on hit-and-miss jumps. Hanyu is still not a sophisticated enough skater. When I watched Oda and Hanyu live together at COC last year the likability gap between them was major.

But yeah, the zayak habit.

Custom Title
    I think Takahashi might have a hard time in the next two years as the other guys continue to push the sport technically. Dai will turn 26 in a few days and his body is getting worn out at least jumpwise. His artistry and performance skills will still put him near the top though but it might get tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by os168
    can't do maths, is he Asian?
    I usually don't like stereotyping, but...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    I totally agree with you. IMO Dai's artistic capabilities are not limited at all.
    I second that. He can do it all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast