Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Makarova gets remaining spot on Russian World's team

Custom Title
    According to this article, Makarova has been selected for the world championships.
    Last edited by Mao88; 03-14-2012 at 04:08 AM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Ugh, I guess she earned it. I wanted Polina to go. Thanks for the article.

Thanks for the update, after all the hoopla they put her through she goes to Worlds just as I thought.

Custom Title
    Hi. Well, it is my first post here in Gold Skate.

I am very happy that Makarova will go to Worlds. Why? I am not a big fan of her(I am a Carolina Kostner's fan). But this girl can be considered a "short program skater". Her SP's are very nice. Last year, her SP was very good at worlds and she deserved to be 2nd in the SP, ahead of Kim(well, she was clean, landed 3-3 and had good energy). And, to be honest, I really would like to see her SP again, because it is so amazing.

You can watch a "clean" version of her SP here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15__Nnkjr4c

The choreography that she performs before the combo is so beautiful and very good indeed. This program is soft, light, the dress is very adequate to the feeling of the music. In my humble opinion, if she skates this program clean, she deserves to be in the SP's top 3 and her PC's deserves to be near 30.

As for her FS, I really don't like it. It is so awful. Feels very tacky and poorly constructed.

*SORRY FOR THE TERRIBLE ENGLISH
    Last edited by mateusp1; 03-14-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Custom Title
    I would suggest Makarova go back to an old FS - pronto! Anything is better than this throw together routine of Marilyyn Monrue

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    mateusp1, Welcome to Golden Skate! We hope you post long & often!

Custom Title
    For those more familiar with the Russian Fed than I am, should Shelepen consider moving to skate for a different federaltion/country? She has too much talent and is too young to be frozen out of worlds forever, but if she didn't make the world's team this year, she may never make it with Adelina and Tuk eligible next year and Julia added to the mix in 2014.

Welcome, mateusp1. We are so pleased to have international posters join us.

Custom Title
    I don't normally like Makarova's skating but I love her short program. To me if she skates it clean it could be one of the best but that long program just undo everything.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mateusp1 View Post
    Hi. Well, it is my first post here in Gold Skate.

I am very happy that Makarova will go to Worlds. Why? I am not a big fan of her(I am a Carolina Kostner's fan). But this girl can be considered a "short program skater". Her SP's are very nice. Last year, her SP was very good at worlds and she deserved to be 2nd in the SP, ahead of Kim(well, she was clean, landed 3-3 and had good energy). And, to be honest, I really would like to see her SP again, because it is so amazing.

You can watch a "clean" version of her SP here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15__Nnkjr4c

The choreography that she performs before the combo is so beautiful and very good indeed. This program is soft, light, the dress is very adequate to the feeling of the music. In my humble opinion, if she skates this program clean, she deserves to be in the SP's top 3 and her PC's deserves to be near 30.

As for her FS, I really don't like it. It is so awful. Feels very tacky and poorly constructed.

*SORRY FOR THE TERRIBLE ENGLISH
    On the contrary, Mateusp1--your English is wonderful! We're very glad to have you at GS. Thanks for your well-informed insights on Makarova as a short-program skater. It will be interesting to see how she does at Worlds.

By the way, if you're Russian-speaking (or if anyone else knows the answer to this), I'm curious about Polina's last name, Shelepen. Is it by any chance related to the name Chaliapin? (Like Feodor Chaliapin, the great opera singer.) I love the origin of names, and it's great to have so many international posters to ask for information.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    On the contrary, Mateusp1--your English is wonderful! We're very glad to have you at GS. Thanks for your well-informed insights on Makarova as a short-program skater. It will be interesting to see how she does at Worlds.

By the way, if you're Russian-speaking (or if anyone else knows the answer to this), I'm curious about Polina's last name, Shelepen. Is it by any chance related to the name Chaliapin? (Like Feodor Chaliapin, the great opera singer.) I love the origin of names, and it's great to have so many international posters to ask for information.
    No, from what I understand, these are two completely different last names.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    mateusp1, Welcome to Golden Skate! We hope you post long & often!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Welcome, mateusp1. We are so pleased to have international posters join us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

Hello everyone.

Well, thank you so much for the welcoming messages.

Actually, I am not Russian. I am brazilian. The official language in my country is portuguese.

Custom Title
    Since Russian Federation has named Makarova to the Worlds team, good luck to her.

I love her short program this year, but I don't particularly like her free program.
    As Skater Boy suggests, I hope she would go back to last year's Evita (wasn't it?), where she simply appeared so gorgeous on the ice.

Considering the Ladies team of Leonova, Makarova, and Korobeynikova, I donot want RF pressure out Alena too much in order to secure 3 spots.

Re the Preliminary round for Korobeynikova. I think it good for her as a warmup, before going to skate short at her very first Worlds.

Oh, and to mateups1,
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Teach me your portuguese sometime. I will my Japanese for you anytime, well, if you like of course! ^)/~~~
    Last edited by deedee1; 03-14-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mateusp1 View Post
    Hello everyone.

Well, thank you so much for the welcoming messages.

Actually, I am not Russian. I am brazilian. The official language in my country is portuguese.
    Aha! Thanks for clarifying that. How wonderful to have someone from a country that's not well-known for its skating. It shows that our beloved sport has a global reach.

And DianaSelene, thanks for the information about Shelepen's name. I figured this was the one place I could ask without getting laughed at--and could get a good answer besides.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    For those more familiar with the Russian Fed than I am, should Shelepen consider moving to skate for a different federaltion/country? She has too much talent and is too young to be frozen out of worlds forever, but if she didn't make the world's team this year, she may never make it with Adelina and Tuk eligible next year and Julia added to the mix in 2014.
    even if Shelepen will never get to go to Worlds, she will still get GP assignments and maybe even in B Competitions, she could be successful first competing in B Competitions like Akiko, and when her time has come, we might be seeing Shelepen in Worlds or even Olympics.
    I can't say the same for Makarova, she should treat this last opportunity at Worlds and have her best skate of her career, we might not be seeing Makarova again after this in any international competitions.

btw, someone mentioned Makarova would go also because her parents are popular .
    influencial ? who are her parents btw that they are popular ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast