Makarova gets remaining spot on Russian World's team | Golden Skate

Makarova gets remaining spot on Russian World's team

Mao88

Record Breaker
EDIT: Or will it be decided after a Makarova test skate instead? (see update at bottom)

Jackie Wong is reporting in his latest article that Makarova and Shelepen will be engaging in a 'skate-off' this coming weekend for the remaining place on the Russian team for the world championships. Article states:-

The Figure Skating Federation of Russia announced that they will be holding a trial in St. Petersburg this weekend to determine whether it will be Makarova or Shelepen who will be representing Russia at Worlds.

Earlier in the week I set up a poll, which can be found here, on which of the two, members thought should go to Worlds.

So, is it fair to make Makarova and Shelepen participate in a 'skate off'? For example, why do they need see Shelepen again given that they have only just seen her compete at junior Worlds? My understanding is that originally, it was just going to be Makarova engaging in a test skate on the 10th March to determine what kind of form she was in following her recent illness. I still think that is the fairest way of approaching the matter. Shelepen, for instance, is likely to be physically and emotionally exhausted after all her very recent exertions at junior Worlds. Hence, she is likely to be at a disadvantage.

Note: Since I first posted this, Jackie Wong has updated his article.

He now says:-

NOTE: Upon another look at the article from RIA Novoski, it is actually unclear whether or not Polina Shelepen will be skating at the trial this weekend.

See post 5 below

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
i don't really think it's fair. i think the best thing to do is look at their competitive history for this year and determine off that. all of polina's LP scores have been higher than ksenia's and she's only been competing at junior. polina's highest FS score this season at an international competition is 108.03 at junior worlds, where ksenia's is 102.04 at euros. polina's highest SP score is 54.99 at JGPF, ksenia's is 57.55 at euros. the rest of ksenia's international scores for a short program have been about 45 points. IMO she's been too inconsistent this year. polina has had a couple splat fests this year but overall she's much more consistent and reliable than ksenia. plus she has two 3+3's in her long.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
2 skaters battle head to head in the eyes of a federation commmitee to compete for an elite spot competition :unsure: ?
but it is an unfair advantage for Shelepen she will be tired from just competing at junior worlds

well Go Shelepen

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm rather confused. IIRC, Makarova was going to present her programs to the PTB in Russia. Makarova didn't compete at the Russian Cup because of illness, and that was why her participation at Worlds was in jeopardy. I don't see why Shelepen should have to perform yet again after having done so at JW.

Maybe Shelepen didn't have a great JW SP, but her FS is miles better than Makarova's horror show, and Polina has both lutz and flip, while Ksenia has never had the lutz and her flip is only about 50% reliable.

Mao88

Record Breaker
I'm rather confused. IIRC, Makarova was going to present her programs to the PTB in Russia. Makarova didn't compete at the Russian Cup because of illness, and that was why her participation at Worlds was in jeopardy. I don't see why Shelepen should have to perform yet again after having done so at JW.

Maybe Shelepen didn't have a great JW SP, but her FS is miles better than Makarova's horror show, and Polina has both lutz and flip, while Ksenia has never had the lutz and her flip is only about 50% reliable.

Jackie Wong has updated his article.

He now says:-

NOTE: Upon another look at the article from RIA Novoski, it is actually unclear whether or not Polina Shelepen will be skating at the trial this weekend.

It has to be said that there is an enormous amount of confusion over the Shelepen/Makarova issue. Its very difficult to tell what exactly is going on. It may be the case that Ksenia Makarova is just doing a test skate as planned on the 10th March, and then a decision will be made. Who knows, given all the contradictions so far. Indeed, when this issue first broke, it was reported that a decision had been made that Shelepen would be going in Makarova's place. Then, within 24 hours, it was announced that no decision had been made, and that a decision over whether it would be Shelepen or Makarova would be determined after Junior Worlds.

I think from now in relation to this issue, we should just take anything that is reported with a pinch of salt. The only certainty seems to be that confusion reigns.

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It has to be said that there is an enormous amount of confusion over the Shelepen/Makarova issue. Its very difficult to tell what exactly is going on. It may be the case that Ksenia Makarova is just doing a test skate as planned on the 10th March, and then a decision will be made. Who knows, given all the contradictions so far. Indeed, when this issue first broke, it was reported that a decision had been made that Shelepen would be going in Makarova's place. Then, within 24 hours, it was announced that no decision had been made, and that a decision over whether it would be Shelepen or Makarova would be determined after Junior Worlds.

I think from now in relation to this issue, we should just take anything that is reported with a pinch of salt. The only certainty seems to be that confusion reigns.

It has always been my understanding that JW was Polina's test skate. The issue is that they have not seen Makarova skate since January at Euros. They now know what condition Polina is in and wants to see were Makarova stands. Then they will decide who goes. None of the articles I read had ever said that there was to be a skate off.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I understand that is how things work with a certain federations.

Skate-off or not, the decision will not be made until Mar 11.
Whichever girl gets to go to the Worlds, she has less than 3 weeks to prepare for the Worlds.
I feel sorry for both girls.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Update:

Here is a video link to Makarova FS. She tries a lutz [underrotated], doubles a salcow, and flips out of a 3loop. Video quality is not that great and Makarova has a new white dress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQboMOy0fI

IMHO, I say send Shelepen. They both are capable of getting a SP score in the mid 40s if they skate poorly but at least Shelepen's long program, if skated well, will pull her up unlike Makarova's who will sink her further down the rankings.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

not clear but I can see from that video a hand down and a step out
not to mention some of those jumps must be underrotated

if Makarova bomds the SP, her overall score could be in range 130-140's considering her LP will sink her scores further
I hope they do send Shelepen at least she is capable of a clean skate and has a better LP record.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Those jumps were so not rotated :laugh: Seriously, I hope they just send Shelepen.

We shall see, I guess the announcement will come tomorrow. I will be patrolling the russian forums until then :biggrin:

Mao88

Record Breaker
Here's a report from the Mishin Cup/Makarova test skate from The Examiner. Incorporates links within the article to the various skaters who participated.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well she didn't fall; but she seems to lack the presence to do Marilyn; not sure about the pony tail, and her jumps lack power, height, flow and rotation. The set up for the lutz is pure stalking. no three jump combo either I think. She just stagnated; I have to admit Shelepen is a far better choice for placements; not sure what is fair thogh as to who should go. There is a strong chance we may never see Makarova again unless she goes to pairs or skates for another country - I hear Canada is looking for a lady lol.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The second jump of the 3t/3t was UR and other jumps looked iffy. She has never done any 'interpretation' with this program and she didn't do any at the test skate. It's just an awful, awful bomb of a program with horrid music clips and little in the way of choreography. I'd be shocked if Ksenia got the nod for Worlds; Shelepen's FS is miles better.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
any updates of the test skate result if Makarova passed it and will go to Worlds ?
I hope not

Lilyvalley

Rinkside
There is no any official information yet. (But I saw yesterday at one forum - Makarova will go. It was one short message without any link.)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
There is no any official information yet. (But I saw yesterday at one forum - Makarova will go. It was one short message without any link.)

she will go ?
well at least this will be her last Worlds, maybe she will have the skate of her life.
at least, I did like her new LP White Marilyn Costume but I dislike the ponytail :laugh: