Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Marketing Ms. Davis & Mr. White

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    She belongs in Vogue, but he belongs in Seventeen. It's a bit of a quandary.
    That's a brilliant way of putting it. But it doesn't have to be a quandary. It can be a point of interest instead. It's the contrast between them that could make them memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    The most important thing, though, is to get Davis/White hustling. They would have to work almost as hard on selling themselves as they do on their skating. In fact, they'd have to cut back on their training so they can go around meeting people, doing interviews, getting themselves out there and just plain shoving themselves down as many people's throats as possible. And now would be a good time to start to get the momentum going before the next winter Olympics. Figure skating and ice dancing particular are suffering from huge notoriety deficits in the US. If they want to turn that around they are doing to have to work like dogs.
    There you go - of course Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian are considerably less talented than D/W, but they work hard at being famous. Do Meryl and Charlie have the time or the inclination to do that? I think they'd rather focus on their training and wait for opportunities to come to them, and this will not happen - or at least, not on the scale they are looking for - unless they win an OGM and possibly not even then.

If I were marketing D/W, I would separate them rather than trying to sell them as a package deal. Their looks don't "match" - he is more mainstream, she is not - and they don't have the sort of chemistry that can be sold to the public. But they could do well separately. Do other dance teams have major sponsorships? I know V/M have something with Roots and P/B have a deal with a skincare company. Anyone else?

Finally, whoever chose that picture for the NYT did D/W quite a disservice. Because of the skewed perspective, Charlie seems hulking compared to Meryl, and the angle obscures her features and makes her look crosseyed. While I am not on the side that views Meryl as attractive, she is certainly better looking than that picture makes her appear.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Tanith did very well in the endorsement business, etc, but it was as a solo act, if not always, a great deal of the time, so yes, marketing them separately would be the way to go, I think.

Custom Title
    Meryl reminds me of the "Queen of Hearts".....in "Alice". Tanith was/is the American ideal as far as markening goes....tall, blond, very pretty, long-legged, and had the "girl next door look" about her...........even though she's a nice Canadian girl. I find that even in Canada those ideals come into play...eg. in curling, Jennifer Jones was used extensively as the face of curlling with her blond good looks, and still is.

Custom Title
    They should do some kind of commercial for diamonds or chocolate or something where they can skate a romantic dance in the background while the narrator talks about diamonds, chocolate or whatever. Too bad nobody thought of this before Valentine's Day.

I don't see Meryl getting a makeup modeling contract. She's striking and dramatic looking, but not conventionally pretty at all.

Neither is Rachael Flatt conventionally pretty.

Down With It
    ^ doesn't help that she keeps her hair short now...not at all.

Custom Title
    I think Charlie would be more marketable if he shaved!! I guess it's just me, but I don't like the scraggly facial hair look on men. Also, I think he could tame the hair a bit, while still keeping it on the long side. He looks sort of messy compared to Meryl, whose hair and makeup are always impeccable.

I personally find Meryl quite attractive in a striking, unusual way. Certainly she doesn't have the all-American, sexy blond look, like Tanith. But in her own way she is quite attractive. And she has beautiful hair too.

Actually, I think Meryl would work well in ads for hair products or eye makeup.

Charlie is doing the unshaven thing this year as part of the Rhuma/Latin combo SD. He probably should gel his hair for it too, as he used to do for the Paso Doble CD.

Custom Title
    Meryl is beautiful! She is couture, avant-garde.. Charlie and Tanith are more of the same and forgettable.

Tanith is ambitious and always finds a way to get in front of the cameras. She comes across as really off-putting and phony. JMO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    Meryl is beautiful! She is couture, avant-garde.. Charlie and Tanith are more of the same and forgettable.

Tanith is ambitious and always finds a way to get in front of the cameras. She comes across as really off-putting and phony. JMO.
    Charlie and Tanith deserve each other, IMO.

http://www.arisingimages.com/blog/im...is_white_1.jpg

There's a shot that could be used to sell sunglasses...or jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    No, not at all. She is very nice.

She is ambitious, well focused, goal oriented, and hard working, but I don't think those are bad traits.

Custom Title
    I have to defend Tanith. I agree she's competitive and ambitious, but that doesn't make her a bad person. All athletes are competitive and driven; some are just more open about it than others. Tanith's just taking advantage of opportunities that have come her way, and why not? Professional skaters don't have much chance these days for a good career, so they have to make the most of the chances they get. Good for her I say.

Custom Title
    Davis and White have won an Olympic medal??? Wow, did not know that.

Anyway, the main problem is that they come off boring, bland, and somewhat unlikeable. At the most recent Nationals, a reporter asked if they were surprised that they won, and Davis answered very snarkily that they worked very hard, so no, it wasn't a surprise at all. The other 95% of the time they give canned, straight from PR answers.

They have none of the diva confidence of Johnny Weir and Eliza Tukt, none of the charm and wit of Mirai Nagasu, and even none of the drive to get their own name out there, like Rachael Flatt and Patrick Chan. Do they expect fame and fortune just because they have a Facebook fan page and Twitter?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast