Should Gracie or Caroline or Agnes or Mirai replace Alissa for Worlds? | Golden Skate

Should Gracie or Caroline or Agnes or Mirai replace Alissa for Worlds?

skateflower

Match Penalty
Should Gracie or Caroline or Agnes or Mirai replace Alissa for Worlds?

Alissa CZISNY had another massive meltdown at the Challenge Cup. She had a bad SP and a horrendous LP with only 2 triples.

"Popped 2A, 2Lz, 3F, 1A+2T (db ft), 3Lz fall, 2Lo (popped), 3Lo. Not the best day for her."

I think she should be replaced by Gold or Zhang, or she can withdraw herself. I'm afraid she's going to waste another opportunity for US to gain three spots for the next year's world championships. This is the best and last chance for US to gain 3 spots with Ashely being strong and Russian babies coming up.

Alissa scored 92, here's the protocol:
http://archief.knsb.nl/upload/kunstrijden/kunstrijden2012/20120308/Seniorladies_FS_Scores.pdf

1 A (fall out),
2 lutz,
3f <
1lutz + 2t
3lutz (fall),
3loop << (fall),
3lo<+seq

Actually, she was unable to land ONE clean TRIPLE.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Only problem is Zawadzki is the 1st alternate, and she's no beacon of consistency herself, at least not recently...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Gold - No way. She has never skated a senior LP in competition. Worlds is not the place to do your first. Maybe if she had done 4CC first I would say ok.
Zhang - No. A clean Zhang might not even finish in the top 10 at Worlds, whereas a 2 error (not falls) Czisny could still finish top 5.

Besides that, I don't like changes to the team after they have been announced. Alissa shouldn't be punished for partaking in a competition.

macy

Record Breaker
can they even do that if alissa doesn't have a legit reason to not compete? i hate saying it because i absolutely love alissa, but at this point i think it would be better if caroline or gracie went, preferrably gracie...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
USFSA will unlikely do any last minute changes like that. And as silverlake said, it will go to Agnes if they do decide to replace her. They not just going to pick someone randomly. Though you never know....

I think it's too late for USFSA to do anything now, but they probably need establish some system that is well-though out and well documented to the public. While replacing Alissa may be a popular choice here, I could also see USFSA getting plenty of backlash at home if they did such a move.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Jeremy Abbott only landed ONE clean jump in the long program, beyond pathetic. He should probably stay home as well. I'm tired of these headcases.

Vash01

Medalist
Definitely not Gold. She has never competed at the senior level, even nationally. It will be silly to send her to worlds in place of at top 5 finisher at worlds.

Caroline will probably make the world team next year (even Gold might, since she can jump), but Alissa has earned her spot this year. Unless she is injured she should not be replaced.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Gold - No way. She has never skated a senior LP in competition. Worlds is not the place to do your first. Maybe if she had done 4CC first I would say ok.
Zhang - No. A clean Zhang might not even finish in the top 10 at Worlds, whereas a 2 error (not falls) Czisny could still finish top 5.

Besides that, I don't like changes to the team after they have been announced. Alissa shouldn't be punished for partaking in a competition.

Alissa is simply not reliable, technical and/or mental wise. USFSA has given her mutliple opportunities in the past. She blew it over and over. If USFSA wants results, they need to be tough towards their skaters just like Russian federation.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Definitely not Gold. She has never competed at the senior level, even nationally. It will be silly to send her to worlds in place of at top 5 finisher at worlds.

If there's almost 100% chance that Alissa will blow it again, why can't USFSA send Gold, the future, to the worlds? At least they will no longer waste on a sure failure, who frankly, represents yesterday. Alissa scored 92, here's the protocol:
http://archief.knsb.nl/upload/kunstrijden/kunstrijden2012/20120308/Seniorladies_FS_Scores.pdf

1 A (fall out),
2 lutz,
3f <
1lutz + 2t
3lutz (fall),
3loop << (fall),
3lo<+seq

Actually, she was unable to land ONE clean TRIPLE.:rolleye:

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I see this as the *exact* same scenario as what happened to Rachael Flatt last year. She competed with injury without telling the USFSA, and as a result she bombed at Worlds, thereby once again only earning 2 spots for Ladies, but most importantly there was a HUGE backlash, and as a result Rachael was fined by the USFSA for not disclosing the injury right away so she could have been replaced at the last minute with Mirai Nagasu. Fact. Same thing going on now imho.

No way would Alissa have earned a top 10 placement, let alone a top 5 placement (laughable) at Worlds with what she landed at this most recent competition today. :(

I like Alissa, I think she's the most artistic skater the USA Team has, and when on should easily place 1st, but that's not the case right now. She was injured earlier in the season, and it does *not* appear to be healed yet.

Therefore, the USFSA has to do the "smart" thing and replace her if that's the case. Otherwise they'll be facing the same scenario they faced with Rachael Flatt last year. Furthermore, 2013 Worlds is crucial on so many levels, least of all the 2014 Olympic Team Event...

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Actually, Alissa did not earn her spot this year. She was gifted the silver medal. Time to take the gif t back.

skateflower

Match Penalty
No way would Alissa have earned a top 10 placement, let alone a top 5 placement (laughable) at Worlds with what she landed at this most recent competition today. :(

Maybe Alissa will help some other skaters such as Kexin Zhang from China to get into top 10 and earn two spots for their respective countries? lol.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Is anyone really taking the Challenge Cup seriously or only using it as warm-up for worlds? Pull Alissa for Gracie? :rofl:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
No, they should not. It would not be beneficial to any of the girls concerned if there was a last-minute change this close to Worlds. Also, it's better for her to have her "meltdown" at this competition, rather than at Worlds. Bomb away, Alissa--get the bugs out, so that when you come to worlds, you can have the skate of your year.

samba

On the Ice
Why did USFS send Jeremy and Alissa to Hague anyway? This was quite unusual since US never sent any athletes to any international competition this time of the season, only two weeks before Worlds. Was this a gift for Jason and Yuka's camp?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
A huge NO. Czisny still has a better chance to either medal or place higher and help earn 3 sopts than either this year if she skates decently (granted a question mark given her latest form). Well Gold is debateable but it would be against all principle to send her in the first place, let alone naming it now, and the pressure on a junior skater sent to Worlds last moment to help the U.S would be immense.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The Challenge Cup isnt even a real competition. I cant believe anyone is taking the skaters performances there seriously, be it Czisny, Abbott, or whoever else.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, Alissa did not earn her spot this year. She was gifted the silver medal. Time to take the gif t back.

I so agree. Her SP mark was way too high for a faulty performance. Her FS wasn't any too great, either.

Stick a fork in Alissa. She's done.

As for this competition being a joke, Kostner skated a brilliant, crystal-clean performance with two 3Fs.