Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wagner, Zhang, and Gold Olympic team in 2014

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Well I think a lot of folks are just concerned that the judges wouldn't be willing to give Caroline good PCS. So in a situation where she skates strongly, wouldn't we expect her to still finish behind those with similar or lower TES but a significant PCS advantage?
    I don't think Zhang would get the same PCS she got at 4CC. There were probably 5 skaters at 4CC who had any chance to medal (out of 30) so she was bound to get good PCS because the judges had to mark about 25 skaters below her on a 10 scale. At Worlds she would not be in the medal hunt because the favorites would be placed above her even with errors, as we saw with Czisny in the SP at Nationals.

Custom Title
    I'm not sold on the girls from the last Olympic cycle 2007-2010 and would rather see some new girls. Alissa will be almost 27 and seems to be running out of steam Zhang doesn't have the overall skills and Mirai just seems to want to screw off and not do the work to be a champion. As for Ashley i'm not sold on her either. Agnes is one of the new girls and has the talent but needs to be able to do a clean LP. She has the jumps which most of the other US Ladies don't have. Who knows some Junior that's under the radar right now might get a spot for all we know. There's a lot of talent in the Junior ranks and one of them might peak at the right time.
    Last edited by Jammers; 03-11-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Custom Title
    I have doubts the US would get three spots for Sochi. Coming 2013 with three Russian babies, three solid Japanese girls (even Miki might be back then) plus Carolina and a few others, it is just going to be really difficult. I think this would be a Russian dominating quad anyway, Sochi and all. Wherever Putin puts his money at, he usually gets what he pays for.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I don't think Zhang would get the same PCS she got at 4CC. There were probably 5 skaters at 4CC who had any chance to medal (out of 30) so she was bound to get good PCS because the judges had to mark about 25 skaters below her on a 10 scale. At Worlds she would not be in the medal hunt because the favorites would be placed above her even with errors, as we saw with Czisny in the SP at Nationals.
    i see. so every judging panel will follow the sterling example set at nationals?

and judges never, ever change their minds about PCS. nope, they didn't slam mao, 2-time world champion, when she had multiple not-so-outstanding outings. nope, ashley wagner's PCS didn't suddenly skyrocket at 4cc after she finally became national champion either.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    I have doubts the US would get three spots for Sochi. Coming 2013 with three Russian babies, three solid Japanese girls (even Miki might be back then) plus Carolina and a few others, it is just going to be really difficult. I think this would be a Russian dominating quad anyway, Sochi and all. Wherever Putin puts his money at, he usually gets what he pays for.
    Yeah no doubt that's how he got elected yet again.

Tripping on the Podium
    I would like that team as well, Ashey, Gracie and Caroline, however Agnes and Mirai have a big chance as well as maybe another younger skater... a lot of things can happen in 2 years.

Truthfully, none of the current names except for Gold give me hope. They can all improve and get much better, but they are so unreliable and unpredictable that I don't even know. I LOVE Wagner's skating but she has often had trouble in the past and even now she doesn't have consistent 3-3 that I wish she would. I have a hard time seeing Caroline ever medaling at worlds or olympics in the future. Agnes is the same. Last season, she had pretty good short programs and terrible long programs. This year, except for nationals sp, she pretty much had a poor season. Mirai can't seem to get it together when she needs to and something really strange is going on with Alissa. The only reliable US skater I think I will see in Sochi is Gold. At least she has the jumps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    i see. so every judging panel will follow the sterling example set at nationals?

and judges never, ever change their minds about PCS. nope, they didn't slam mao, 2-time world champion, when she had multiple not-so-outstanding outings. nope, ashley wagner's PCS didn't suddenly skyrocket at 4cc after she finally became national champion either.
    Clearly Caroline and Ashley are identical examples. Both won a national title this year, medaled on the GP, skate relatively fast and have interesting choreography. Caroline has done everything Ashley has to have her PCS skyrocket, so we can send her to Worlds knowing that she will get great marks as well. How could I be so naive to miss the comparison?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Clearly Caroline and Ashley are identical examples. Both won a national title this year, medaled on the GP, skate relatively fast and have interesting choreography. Caroline has done everything Ashley has to have her PCS skyrocket, so we can send her to Worlds knowing that she will get great marks as well. How could I be so naive to miss the comparison?
    Caroline won an international event this season, but not a National one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cjuarez View Post
    I would like that team as well, Ashey, Gracie and Caroline, however Agnes and Mirai have a big chance as well as maybe another younger skater... a lot of things can happen in 2 years.
    Mirai coming 4th last Olympics, If she puts it all together, she will still be the biggest medal contender for the US, she still has 2 more seasons to improve
    I can definitely see Gold, Mirai, Ashley in 2014 team Alternate: Zhang.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Mirai coming 4th last Olympics.
    That probably was her career peak. Remember she skated by far the performances of her life there, and still barely came 4th. It doesnt HAVE to be that way, she certainly has enough talent to make it otherwise, but she has to be giving 110% from here. No more time to waste, and I dont see that happening.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post

Umm Wagner beat Asada in PCS in the LP at 4CCs. That wouldnt have happened in a million years a short while ago. Asada in fact is an example of dropping PCS after some reduced results, and Wagner an example of rised PCS with a National title so strange examples.

my ideal team is ashley, agnes, and gracie. of course that depends on how the next 2 years go.

Custom Title
    Ashley and Caroline might make a good team. I don't know about Gracie yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Umm Wagner beat Asada in PCS in the LP at 4CCs. That wouldnt have happened in a million years a short while ago. Asada in fact is an example of dropping PCS after some reduced results, and Wagner an example of rised PCS with a National title so strange examples.
    Wagner skated LIGHTS OUT at 4CC and deserved to have a huge PCS mark compared to previous outings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast