Kevin VDP & Jenna Mccorkell Fan Fest | Golden Skate

Kevin VDP & Jenna Mccorkell Fan Fest

deedee1

Record Breaker
Nice Worlds, the biggest competion of the seaon is just around the corner.

Since it seems for Kevin Van der Perren it is likely to be his last cometition as eligible skater, and the last chance for us skating fans to get to see his skates, I would like to dedicate this thread to Kevin and his lovely wife Jenna!

It was so heartbreaking to see Kevin's sad face when he had to withdraw Free skate at the Europeans, and to see Jenna's sad face after rather disappointing Free skate in front of her home crowd...

I sincerely hope his injuries are healed by now, and wish them best at this coming Worlds!
I hope a lot of memebers of this forum will post here to cheer up Kevin & Jenna!

GO KEVIN & JENNA!!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would love both of them to skate their best into the sunset and do show skating. I do like them but I do think it is time they gave others a shot in their respective nations.

glam

On the Ice
I would love both of them to skate their best into the sunset and do show skating. I do like them but I do think it is time they gave others a shot in their respective nations.

I am not sure if they are famous enough in the skating world to be invited to do shows, especially Jenna. :eek:hwell:

Trewyn

Medalist
They are awesome and super nice! I know there's people that would have prerferred that Jorik would have gotten the opportunity to go to Nice, but I'm glad Kevin is going and I hope he'll have a brilliant performance! I guess a medal is not really possible.. But it'd be awesome to just watch him skate his best: we've seen stunning performances from him before and I'm sure he's got one more to offer in Nice!

As for Jenna.. I don't know if she'll continue.. Though I'm sure Kevin would support her. I don't think he'll be able to fully stay away from the rink anyway, he likes it too much.

antmanb

Record Breaker

As i always say - if the young whipper snappers want a shot then they need to win the nationals.

With or without Kevin, Jorick Hendricks made it to the Europeans fair and sqaure.

Have you seen the level of skating in the ladies event in the UK? We're lucky to even have 3 or 4 ladies in the senior event, and none but Jenna can even land a triple with any consistency.

deedee1

Record Breaker
What I love about Kevin's skating is his JUMPS!

Under COP, while I appreciate we see difficult entries into jumps, or exists out of jumps for higher GOEs; such as steps, short spiral, or spread eagle, we get to see more messy jumps, pre-/under-/over-rotations and stepouts. I do not appreciate it. I would prefer CLEAN jumps. I want to be WOWed by a huge jump and WOWed by sheer beauty of jump.

When his jumps are on, we seldom see pre-rotatins or under-rotations by Kevin.
He goes UP in the air, THEN starts rotating jumps, finishes rotation while STILL in the air, and lands FAR from its take-off on the ice!
Some of you may complain, "great 4T maybe, but an easy entry to it", "no steps into the 3A", "there is not much in betweens", or "where are transtions?". These things are judges' business. I am no judge, I do not care much. I would rather enjoy his huge jumps, yell "yay! Kevin!" for his successful jumps, and feel happy for him.
Besides, he does add transitions into his programs, compared to, say, his programs from 5 years ago. Praise to him!

What I love about Kevin's jumps is the RHYTHM of jumps.
When he starts rotating a jump, I can hear its rhythm in the air; a crisp rhythm; sounding like...what can I say?..'tin! tin! tin!'.
I do not know if you understand me, my English is not good enough to describe it.
When I count rotation of a triple jump, normally, I would say 'one, two, three' to myself, but as far as Kevin's jumps are concerned, I do not have to count, I just enjoy its crisp rhythm, 'tin! tin! tin!'.
This part is the most I love about his jumps.

A lot of you still remember that gorgeous 4T-3T-3T at 2010 Worlds in Torino, I think.
When his jumps are on, it's just easy as cake for him, like Nobunari, to add a second triple, even a third triple.
I enjoyed his 3S-3T-3Lo many times in the past. Such a great jumper, isn't he?

I am grateful I can still get to see him skate and jump for such a long time. Thanks, Kevin!

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I always liked Kevin's determination and spunk, the man never gives up.

Kevin and Jenna seem like very nice people, good luck to them both at Worlds.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I always liked Kevin's determination and spunk, the man never gives up.

Kevin and Jenna seem like very nice people, good luck to them both at Worlds.

I agree with you, demarinis5!
That part 'determination' is another thing I like about Kevin.

How many of so-called 'very talented' skaters have we seen in the past who lost his/her concentration after a fall or two at the beginning, then just went through the program till the end? I donot like it when a skater seems to just give up.
As for Kevin, if he lands a jump or misses it, he never gives up. He keeps on attacking the program and going for the rest of jumps till the end.

He may lack in other aspects in skating, but I like him because he is always serious about competing.
It's a sport. It's a competition. They are competitive skaters after all, aren't they?

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
For Jenna, I love her 2A.

I especially love her 2A as an opening jump of her program, cause it usually has a pretty good distance and nice flow on the landing.
When she lands her jumps, she always tries to hold her position on the landing to keep the flow, which is something I sometimes feel missing among a few of good Japanese jumpers; who seem to concentrate on jumps only to land, and fail to try to keep the flow.

I also love Jenna's correct take-off on her Lutz; the outside edge which must be difficult for many of female skaters, owing to lack of upper body's muscle power.

I have checked her ISU bio.

Jenna is the nine-time National Champion, okay guys? I repeat, NINE times!
She has represented her country one time at the Olympics, SEVEN times at Worlds, and NINE times at Euros!, while always bearing the federation's pressure and the counrty's expectations on her sole shoulders. Credits to her.

However smaller the federation UK is, or however weak the ladies discipline may seem in UK, her records simply tell the fact that she is such a great skater in her country, how long she has been in competitive shape for such a long time, and what a warriar she is.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I thought she won 10 national titles including this year? It is an amazing feat regardless of lack of competition. I think the problem to some people is Jenna is no longer growing as a skater and it might be time to give others a chance who granted aren't as good as her but it is hard to see how much Jenna is adding to the sport in GBR or world wide. Her husband has a great p ersonality on ice - maybe he can help her get some skating shows other than in Britain??

antmanb

Record Breaker
I thought she won 10 national titles including this year? It is an amazing feat regardless of lack of competition. I think the problem to some people is Jenna is no longer growing as a skater and it might be time to give others a chance who granted aren't as good as her but it is hard to see how much Jenna is adding to the sport in GBR or world wide. Her husband has a great p ersonality on ice - maybe he can help her get some skating shows other than in Britain??

My personal view is that Jenna is adding an awful lot to the sport by remaining the one to beat nationally. The rest of the girls get little to no exposure to the truly elite levels of skating (like the elite internationals like the GPs and Championships) so competing against Jenna is as good as it gets, and they still do not reach her level. If Jenna did not compete at nationals then I don't think there would have been the same motivation for the girls to actually attempt triples in the their programmes. If Jenna does not compete next year then I'm certain we'll see less triples attempted by the rest of the girls than they did this year with Jenna competing. Many of the girls attempted and stood up shaky triples just because they had to. I'm certain without Jenna those programmes would have been filled with doubles.

deedee1

Record Breaker
The last group for Ladies preliminaries has started!

Good luck to you! GOoo JENNAaa!!!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Congratulations for winning the preliminary round, Jenna!!! :clap::clap:

Kevin must have been thrilled to see you winning, and so proud of you today!
I am happy for you, too.
Have some good rest until Thursday!

Nadine

Record Breaker
:love::points:WOOHOO, CONGRATS JENNA!!!!:points::love:

Here's hoping you & your husband do well at Worlds this year and go out on a high note, if both of you are planning on retiring that is. :)

By the way, you both made Skate America 2010 a memorable one for me, will never forget seeing you both up in the stands, and your husband Kevin's dazzling sapphire blue stare. :)^)

deedee1

Record Breaker
Jenna,

Congratulations to you for nailing almost-clean short! :clap::clap:
Finishing 12th is not bad at all. Well done! :thumbsup:

My best wishes for another brilliant performance in the Free.
And hopufully you can finish top 10 and 2 spots for UK at next Worlds!!! :cool::rock:

Last edited: