Dick Button challenges credibility of World F.S. Hall of Fame | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dick Button challenges credibility of World F.S. Hall of Fame

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm just glad that the Chicago, NY Times, and San Francisco papers have all carried stories about skating lately...things are looking up a bit.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I have always wondered why some multiple Olympic medalists with as much influenece
are not on the hall of fame.
I agree, this should be taken in charge under an independent / non US connected org/committee.

the bias is too obvious

lcd

Match Penalty
I suppose. There is syndication and seasonality helping. Personally, I thought the NYT piece was a horror show. How the agents and all could be so happy/proud of that.... I just cringed.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That is my thought as well, Mathman. So far some 2,640 visitors to my site have viewed Dick's letter and associated material posted several days before by Sonia Bianchetti. There is also an article that Monica Friedlander wrote on this subject at San Francisco Figure Skating Examiner that followed up on this story.
Wow....thanks for all the good info and the letter....I had no idea about any of this. This is such a "behind the scenes" secret sport as it is and now this....this is as bad as making the head of the Russian Fed's wife a judge, or some such nonsense.....

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
World Figure Skating Hall of Fame: The Integrity Issue debate continues - Mondshein & Button
The WFSHOF Nominating Committee Chairman Defends Organizational Policies and Procedures and Mr. Button comments further.

Blazing Blades

In interesting exchange.

He who pays the piper calls the tune. As I understand the exchange, there was a time (2004-2008) when the World Figure Skating Museum and Hall of Fame tried to separate itself as much as possible from the USFSA. They went broke, and the USFSA had to step in again.

I think Dick Button and the people who support his complaints have not taken this matter far enough. If Button wants a different sort of management for the Hall of Fame, more independent and more international, then someone has to put up the money.

fairly4

Medalist
yes--why didn't dick do this earlier-
have announced how many times it has poped up and shown up in papers,
curious would have done it
without michelle kwan name in the list.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
yes--why didn't dick do this earlier-
have announced how many times it has poped up and shown up in papers,
curious would have done it
without michelle kwan name in the list.

True. Why didn't he do anything all those years before?! The fact that Michelle Kwan was named this year made me a little pissed on Dick Button's letter - not that I have anything disagree with him on the matter.:biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
perhaps he felt safe doing so now because Michelle Kwan is one of his darlings and so it wouldn't be taken as a slight against her.

Yeah, Dick Button thinks the world of Michelle Kwan.

But he also is a long-time colleague of Sonia Bianchetti. It is pretty clear that Bianchetti's situation is the catalyst for the timing of Button's remarks.

I wish that Button had responded to Mondschein's letter with a better-argued rebuttal, instead of relying on sarcastic wisecracks about his cleaning lady to make his point.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
At the very least, he let people realize within skating and fans that WFSHOF is really a US funded op and that it clearly amounts to MK getting honored by the US, again. I think he did quite well. In reality, this matters to just a few people. There is no reason why they must just pick one. It is a slight to the others. Personally, I would rather see Rudy get inducted and waddle up on his hips. MK won far more medals, but Rudy overcame so much more to win the ones he did. but I guess this isn't "Profiles in courage." And now people know it isn't a fair process for those nominated outside the USA. Skating is his whole life, and I am glad he has a heart for everyone. So few people in FS who got rich stick their necks out. He is old, and old people are more likely to take a stand on injustice unless it means arrest or something. MK deserves hall of fames, but so do many others. Maybe Dick is appreciative of how people overlooked his indiscretions and wants a more just process. I truly miss his sometimes annoying commentary because he says what he thinks and knows so much.

Maybe people miss seeing Dick and Peggy? At this point skating/fairness/judging matter to so few. It would be nice to see the class of whatever year get inducted. If you are significant enough to get nominated, then throw them all the bone. It's like the dumb acting awards every year. How can you say Streep was "better" than Close or Davis.

To all those who never were great competitors, we still enjoy your better effort! Will Sasha ever get in one of these? Most beautiful skater who didn't win too many golds. I hope there is a place for her not too far down the road. Every female skater does her every move or tries to. That is certainly significant. But will she ever get inducted?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
There is no reason why they must just pick one. It is a slight to the others. Personally, I would rather see Rudy get inducted and waddle up on his hips.

I think if Rudy got picked instead of Michelle, or even along with Michelle, Dick Button's letter will be more true. How many people know Rudy Galindo outside of USA?

Last edited:
Yes, I believe so. I don't think there would be any reason for him to be a World HOF nominee. One world bronze, though impressive, is not enough for a spot in the world hall, considering who's in line ahead of him. Surya Bonaly has more podium appearances than Galindo does, and she's not getting in anytime soon. World members should include skaters of the accomplishment level of Katarina Witt, not Rudy Galindo.

Last edited:
As I understand Dick Button's letters, his main concern is with the nominating procedures rather that with the votes of the electors. Thirteen other people were nominated for the World Hall of Fame this year. But only Michelle Kwan received the required number of votes for election.

It is that way every year, and it is that way in any sort of hall of fame situation: many are called, few are chosen. As with the academy awards, it is an honor just to be nominated.

Edited to add: Iceman over on FSU just posted this: Since Michelle will already be in Nice for the induction ceremony, she might as well skate in the World Championships. She might win three places for U.S. ladies. :)

Last edited:
Brilliant idea, Math! Can you imagine how many people's hearts leaped up at even the frivolous mention of such an eventuality....

And there is precedent for a Hall of Famer to come out of retirement. Didn't baseball player Jim Palmer go back to playing ball for a season or so?

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yes, I believe so. I don't think there would be any reason for him to be a World HOF nominee. One world bronze, though impressive, is not enough for a spot in the world hall, considering who's in line ahead of him. Surya Bonaly has more podium appearances than Galindo does, and she's not getting in anytime soon. World members should include skaters of the accomplishment level of Katarina Witt, not Rudy Galindo.

Perhaps but what about Rudy AND Kristy's success in pairs too. Rudy made top 5 at a world championship in two disciplines pairs and singles, that's really an impressive accomplishment.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
Dick Button is a lawyer and Harvard graduate - no wonder the letter is outstanding.