Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dick Button challenges credibility of World F.S. Hall of Fame

Rinkside
    There are a lot of athletes that get blackballed from the HOF. You can argue for Christopher Bowman for being in the USHOF, look at his competitve stats, not the silly stuff he pulled or the drug abuse, but at his results. He should be in there as much as anyone else.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Welcome to Golden Skate, Jen96. We hope you will post long and often!

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Also Phil Hersh:
    If ISU wanted to keep Sonia Bianchetti from World Hall of Fame, why did they let her stay on ballot last year?
    Since this is run by a USFSA committee, maybe they slipped Ms. Bianchetti onto the ballot last year while Cinquanta was looking the other way. This year he lowered the boom.
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-12-2012 at 09:41 PM.

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    That is my thought as well, Mathman. So far some 2,640 visitors to my site have viewed Dick's letter and associated material posted several days before by Sonia Bianchetti. There is also an article that Monica Friedlander wrote on this subject at San Francisco Figure Skating Examiner that followed up on this story.

The number of visitors to have viewed Dick's original letter as of today, March 21, is now up to 3,976.
    Last edited by visaliakid; 03-21-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: additional information

OT, but while I was reading the Friedlander article, this one also caught my eye.

http://www.examiner.com/figure-skati...ut-skaters-say

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm just glad that the Chicago, NY Times, and San Francisco papers have all carried stories about skating lately...things are looking up a bit.

Banned
    I have always wondered why some multiple Olympic medalists with as much influenece
    are not on the hall of fame.
    I agree, this should be taken in charge under an independent / non US connected org/committee.

the bias is too obvious

Banned
    I suppose. There is syndication and seasonality helping. Personally, I thought the NYT piece was a horror show. How the agents and all could be so happy/proud of that.... I just cringed.

Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    That is my thought as well, Mathman. So far some 2,640 visitors to my site have viewed Dick's letter and associated material posted several days before by Sonia Bianchetti. There is also an article that Monica Friedlander wrote on this subject at San Francisco Figure Skating Examiner that followed up on this story.
    Wow....thanks for all the good info and the letter....I had no idea about any of this. This is such a "behind the scenes" secret sport as it is and now this....this is as bad as making the head of the Russian Fed's wife a judge, or some such nonsense.....

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    World Figure Skating Hall of Fame: The Integrity Issue debate continues - Mondshein & Button
    The WFSHOF Nominating Committee Chairman Defends Organizational Policies and Procedures and Mr. Button comments further.

Blazing Blades

In interesting exchange.

He who pays the piper calls the tune. As I understand the exchange, there was a time (2004-2008) when the World Figure Skating Museum and Hall of Fame tried to separate itself as much as possible from the USFSA. They went broke, and the USFSA had to step in again.

I think Dick Button and the people who support his complaints have not taken this matter far enough. If Button wants a different sort of management for the Hall of Fame, more independent and more international, then someone has to put up the money.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Reading the headline I thought it was Plushenko who was making the comments, but then I remembered he didn't win Torino :(
    he won in Torino, but not in Vancouver.

Custom Title
    yes--why didn't dick do this earlier-
    have announced how many times it has poped up and shown up in papers,
    curious would have done it
    without michelle kwan name in the list.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    yes--why didn't dick do this earlier-
    have announced how many times it has poped up and shown up in papers,
    curious would have done it
    without michelle kwan name in the list.
    True. Why didn't he do anything all those years before?! The fact that Michelle Kwan was named this year made me a little pissed on Dick Button's letter - not that I have anything disagree with him on the matter.

perhaps he felt safe doing so now because Michelle Kwan is one of his darlings and so it wouldn't be taken as a slight against her.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast