Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dick Button challenges credibility of World F.S. Hall of Fame

Yeah, Dick Button thinks the world of Michelle Kwan.

But he also is a long-time colleague of Sonia Bianchetti. It is pretty clear that Bianchetti's situation is the catalyst for the timing of Button's remarks.

I wish that Button had responded to Mondschein's letter with a better-argued rebuttal, instead of relying on sarcastic wisecracks about his cleaning lady to make his point.

At the very least, he let people realize within skating and fans that WFSHOF is really a US funded op and that it clearly amounts to MK getting honored by the US, again. I think he did quite well. In reality, this matters to just a few people. There is no reason why they must just pick one. It is a slight to the others. Personally, I would rather see Rudy get inducted and waddle up on his hips. MK won far more medals, but Rudy overcame so much more to win the ones he did. but I guess this isn't "Profiles in courage." And now people know it isn't a fair process for those nominated outside the USA. Skating is his whole life, and I am glad he has a heart for everyone. So few people in FS who got rich stick their necks out. He is old, and old people are more likely to take a stand on injustice unless it means arrest or something. MK deserves hall of fames, but so do many others. Maybe Dick is appreciative of how people overlooked his indiscretions and wants a more just process. I truly miss his sometimes annoying commentary because he says what he thinks and knows so much.

Maybe people miss seeing Dick and Peggy? At this point skating/fairness/judging matter to so few. It would be nice to see the class of whatever year get inducted. If you are significant enough to get nominated, then throw them all the bone. It's like the dumb acting awards every year. How can you say Streep was "better" than Close or Davis.

To all those who never were great competitors, we still enjoy your better effort! Will Sasha ever get in one of these? Most beautiful skater who didn't win too many golds. I hope there is a place for her not too far down the road. Every female skater does her every move or tries to. That is certainly significant. But will she ever get inducted?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    There is no reason why they must just pick one. It is a slight to the others. Personally, I would rather see Rudy get inducted and waddle up on his hips.
    I think if Rudy got picked instead of Michelle, or even along with Michelle, Dick Button's letter will be more true. How many people know Rudy Galindo outside of USA?
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 03-22-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Wasn't it the USHOF that Rudy was up for, rather than the WHOF?

Custom Title
    Yes, I believe so. I don't think there would be any reason for him to be a World HOF nominee. One world bronze, though impressive, is not enough for a spot in the world hall, considering who's in line ahead of him. Surya Bonaly has more podium appearances than Galindo does, and she's not getting in anytime soon. World members should include skaters of the accomplishment level of Katarina Witt, not Rudy Galindo.
    Last edited by Olympia; 03-23-2012 at 07:13 AM.

As I understand Dick Button's letters, his main concern is with the nominating procedures rather that with the votes of the electors. Thirteen other people were nominated for the World Hall of Fame this year. But only Michelle Kwan received the required number of votes for election.

It is that way every year, and it is that way in any sort of hall of fame situation: many are called, few are chosen. As with the academy awards, it is an honor just to be nominated.

Edited to add: Iceman over on FSU just posted this: Since Michelle will already be in Nice for the induction ceremony, she might as well skate in the World Championships. She might win three places for U.S. ladies.
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-23-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Custom Title
    Brilliant idea, Math! Can you imagine how many people's hearts leaped up at even the frivolous mention of such an eventuality....

And there is precedent for a Hall of Famer to come out of retirement. Didn't baseball player Jim Palmer go back to playing ball for a season or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yes, I believe so. I don't think there would be any reason for him to be a World HOF nominee. One world bronze, though impressive, is not enough for a spot in the world hall, considering who's in line ahead of him. Surya Bonaly has more podium appearances than Galindo does, and she's not getting in anytime soon. World members should include skaters of the accomplishment level of Katarina Witt, not Rudy Galindo.
    Perhaps but what about Rudy AND Kristy's success in pairs too. Rudy made top 5 at a world championship in two disciplines pairs and singles, that's really an impressive accomplishment.

Banned
    Dick Button is a lawyer and Harvard graduate - no wonder the letter is outstanding.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    Dick Button is a lawyer and Harvard graduate - no wonder the letter is outstanding.
    And he is 82 now!

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    An interesting comment. That was the one thing I didn't like about Button's letter (especially the second one). It sounded like it was written by a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Edited to add: Iceman over on FSU just posted this: Since Michelle will already be in Nice for the induction ceremony, she might as well skate in the World Championships. She might win three places for U.S. ladies.
    wouldn't that disqualify her for the induction?

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Perhaps but what about Rudy AND Kristy's success in pairs too. Rudy made top 5 at a world championship in two disciplines pairs and singles, that's really an impressive accomplishment.
    Then you could argue that Kyoko Ina should be in the HOF, too since she competed in ladies' single and pairs. John Baldwin toiled away at Men's singles for years before going to great success in pairs. There are a lot of skaters who have acheived a level of success after changing their category of skating.

I understand the love for Rudy, but I agree that 1 National medal does not equate to HOF entry. His story is 'bigger' because it was such a surprise and he would have retired otherwise. The HOF is about acomplishments as related to skating and not necessarily related to overcoming social and financial hurdles. Rudy should certainly be proud of his US National title and his World bronze medal and early success in pairs, but many others have comparable recognition.

Custom Title
    Yeah. I think his record in singles and pairs could get him into the U.S. Hall of Fame but not the World one. It's just not enough for a world reputation, considering the level of other contenders.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3