Ladies Skating Costumes Through History | Golden Skate

Ladies Skating Costumes Through History

skateluvr

Record Breaker
These are interesting and educational videos of what famous Ladies skaters have worn over time. Thanks to ANIKIMIYAKOSHI. :thumbsup:

figure skate costum1 till 1980,

figure skate costum2 , the modern era.

Wow, what a great retospective. I love every Nocole Bobek dress. Gorgeous skater. Dr Zhivago dress was my favorite-tho it wasn't pictured. Also, MK had so many great dresses. My favorite might be her burgundy dress she wore for "Song of the Black Swan." 2001. Did vera do all her dresses I wonder?

Nanvy Kerrigan was the classiest, every costume so simply yet wow elegant. I was disappointed in Shizukas's dresses. I also seldom like Rochette's comp dresses. Yuna was not my taste usually, tho I liked the Oly season the best, though they were so glam. I loved Lu Chen-such a lady always when competing, and this season Karo looks divine in the unitard. Was Debi Thomas the first to compete in a unitard, I wonder? Another incredible body.

I think Kira has great taste and never looks vulgar.

Seasons worst? For me, Liza in the too sexy green dress with illusion fabric. Just not nice at 14.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Um, I started a costume thread, is it not rude to then do the same right away? Forum etiquette.:disapp:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It seems fashions, technical requirements, spandex, and illusion fabrics have the biggest influences on the evolution of Ladies' costumes over the years, from sporty to glam.

eta. Sorry if it's perceived as rude to start this thread. I don't usually participate in costume talks nor am I very aware of costume threads but am always sharing what I find interesting. This is interesting to me as history, both in winning Ladies and in costumes/fashions of their times.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I did not like Scott Hamilton's look which was the Adidas disco age spandex track suit look (okay poor choice of words). Korpi and Kerrigan and I would add Bobek and Trenary always looked elegant. Liz Manley looked great usually too. Kwan looked always regal as did Cohen. Maria Butyrskaya usually was elegant and sophisticated. I didn't like Josee Chouinard's costumes from the videos I have seen. I really think some of Surya Bonaly's outfits looked real bad - like someone ran into a diesel 18 wheeler and sequins and spandex were tangled all over.