2012 Challenge Cup | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2012 Challenge Cup

mskater93

Record Breaker
Mids to Grand Prix final 2011 season. She was a disaster at Mids (comparatively) and then went on to win the GPF about 2 weeks later.

OK, thanks - point taken... but at least she landed two triples there and won. :rolleye: This one seems like a total confidence-crusher.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She just has to dig deep and make it happen. I bet she doesn't want all the effort she put in over the past 2 years to go down the drain. She knows what awaits her if she blows it again at worlds...

mskater93

Record Breaker
RD has it right. Also, she can say "OK, I got this out of the way, now I can skate clean programs at Worlds" if she can turn her mental fortitude on...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
What is going on with Yuka/Jason? What do you think they are telling Jeremy and Alissa to do? Jeremy is a skater I once loved. Now I see a skater who can't deliver and I am tired of his oh so gentle skating. Yuka is a warrior and very prideful. What should she advise? These two are not making their coaches decisions look good, are they. Ugh. I love Adam Rippon but he's another deer in the headlights. How I wish Evan had returned! A competitor in singles besides Ashley. As far as gold for Ashley, I don't think they will give it to her no matter if she levitates. This is Carolina's to lose. Another person who will bring it is Akiko and Mao. It will be tough for Ashley to get bronze. I think the judges will do what they can with decent skating to see a podium of Caro, Akiko, and Mao in that order. Ashley could certainly beat Akiko if she skates with mistakes, and a Mao with mistakes as in past. But Caro is so dope this year, and she is full of joy. I think Caro is almost as much a lock as Chan for gold.

and mskater93, where is the mental fortitude in Alissa to turn this mess around? I think she should have retired, as she is a lovely show skater and should model whatever.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Look at those PCS of Abbott with all those problems - if he is getting those kind of scores he more than clobbers Chan and Tak; they might as well give up but Abbott's fs was very very shakey - mirrored Alyssa's. Too bad lol they aren't pair's. Nice unity. but seriously the scores were on the generous side at Challenge; I think Alyssa should have been in the FS high 70's not nighties.one of her combos was a single axel double toe loop two footed combo.

mskater93

Record Breaker
and mskater93, where is the mental fortitude in Alissa to turn this mess around? I think she should have retired, as she is a lovely show skater and should model whatever.
I am thinking about the mental fortitude she had to continue from 2010 to 2011 and improve and turn everything around. Clearly it's in there or she would have quit after 2010 or continued to muck about last season instead of fighting for everything. It must be in there somewhere, she just needs to tap into it.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, I agree with Spun Silver about Alissa withdrawing, though we have not had any announcement, and if injury was causing this, I guess she would have pulled out of Worlds the next day. I ope she isn't taking a page from Flatt's playbook. Whatever is happening with her, she surely realizes she likely will not get a ticket to Worlds again. She basically said after Nationals in so many worlds she knew she skated subpar, but "it was enough" or something to that effect in the post skate interview. Regardless of the 3 spots or the politics of medaling when you have Mao Asada, Akiko with her age and backstory, blazing Carolina in the lead, I just hope Ashley doesn't get too hyped up, and just keeps it cool, as she did at Nationals and 4CC. A performance she is happy with regardless of placement is what I hope for. And Alissa- I wish her the best. I just know I am going to read about it here before I watch it. I don't have Ice Network, so unless I get a feed, I don't have much choice. It is nervewracking and heartbreaking to watch her compete. Bless you Alissa, anyway!
I don't think Jeremy will be too close to Takahashi if he skates well. And Patrick I predict to win by 25-30 points. If Florent Skates his best, I think he will skate off with the bronze, because it is France. I don't thin Jeremy deserved the high PCS marks with that sloppy freeskate. But that's scoring. You know, these kids are young and winning means a lot. They all work so hard for so long. I know MK doesn't haved a fearful bone in her body. She is a warrior through and through. But I think Danny Kwan drilled into her from her earliest days that skating was to be fun, it was just a sport and "not brain surgery." I am sure if he saw her compete like Alissa looking so thin and frail, he would have pulled her out.

Carolina has decided to do what she does best and just enjoys herself. Akikko is in that same mindset, as is Mao, as is Wagner (recently). Mirai used to be delightful because she had that in her skating. I just don't think Alissa can flip the switch. Really, she's what 26? She is a US Champion. She is beautiful, smart, and healthy. Why does she make herself sick about a World medal that is not entirely in her hands? When she moves on in life, I guess she will gain perspective. I know she has many fans here, but watching her compete seems like cruelty. She has been Sasha without the diva attitude. I wish Alissa could just say I'm gonna skate and I don't really care about anything. I totally understand her as I was so much like her at her age. Not a champion figure skater, but a lot of similarity. If she cannot jump in front of lots of people, I'd rather see her double everything, smile, spin like crazy and stay vertical. She'll still get high PCS marks and people will still applaud the sheer beauty of what she does when she is not too frightened to perform.

For those who have not seen her CC skate, it is the worst I remember in a long time.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
For those who have not seen her CC skate, it is the worst I remember in a long time.

That and the send off club skate before the Nationals.

Jeremy twitted:
@CameraLaw Won't know how we would've been better served until after Nice. What I know is I've 100% faith in my coaches & the plans we set!

Perhaps the coaches saw how they had been on one year and off the next, ditto competitions, so they wanted to sandwich a bad skate between the Nationals and Worlds for them. ;)

I can't watch.

I'm just hoping I'm even brave enough to watch Worlds. Knowing the results ahead of time might help a bit, but if things go badly, I might just come onto GS and whine.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It'll be hard to watch, but I'm brave enough...I'll do it. I'll be tweeting about it too. ;)

Then, of course, I'll offer extended thoughts here later on.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
That and the send off club skate before the Nationals.

Jeremy twitted:

Perhaps the coaches saw how they had been on one year and off the next, ditto competitions, so they wanted to sandwich a bad skate between the Nationals and Worlds for them. ;)

There you go. We have the right scapegoats. Jason and Yuka, forget your Christmas coaching bonus. Well, they aren't miracle healers. Word of encouragement can only do so much but i think it was a stupid move. Not just the results. Simply too close to Worlds. I remember when Maria B. used to skate at Russian hockey games I think I read to get in front of a crowd. She was much like Alissa in the nerves dept for those who never saw her. She was trying to adjust to crowds, her fears, etc. I don't know if it helped, but she did win that WC when all else were off. It can happen, I guess.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I do not know what is the best way in terms of coach-skater relationship.
It probably depends on who the coach is and which skater he/she is going to coach; for instance Frank Caroll for Evan vs. Frank for Mirai.
I do not know exactly how the coach-skater relationship works between Jason and Alissa, or between Yuka and Jeremy.

But my overall impression which I get through TV screen after rather dissapointing skates by Alissa; e.g. at the Grand Prix Final or the US Nats, and when she got off from te ice, Jason's attitude to Alissa looked to me 'too soothing' (is this the right word? someone?) like 'cradling a crying baby'.
Competitions are, after all, competitions. The bigger it gets; such as about 'winning the championships', the more do-it-or-die kind of game it gets. Jason is too kind as a prefessional coach, maybe?

Jeremy, I really donot understand...
He has been doing so well on every Grand Prix circuits since 2008. He appears much 'calm' after he switched to Yuka. He had such excellent programs worthy of winning the World medal last season. He has even more excellent programs this year again. What he has to do is deliver them when it counts.

If I were his coach, I would say, "JUST. DO. IT."

R.D.

Record Breaker
So, is your thinking that they need "tough love"?

Everyone is different and probably has a unique coaching strategy that will work for them. Some need that tough love, that kick in the butt to get them going. Others may be more fragile and need someone to comfort them when they mess up...it's a personality thing.

fairly4

Medalist
i think both jason and alissa and jeremy by being part of the group-focused on past like 4cc instead of ahead. and didn't fight for it. just skated to see what they could get with mistakes and see how well (healed-not)they are. and didn't skate well.
jeremy for me like alissa is more of a front end skater than back end. they focus not on present sometimes but on past.

lcd

Match Penalty
The senior slots in these events should have been awarded, NO QUESTION in my mind, to some very talented US seniors who don't have a whiff of ISU standing but have great talent and perseverence. I could name names, but we all know who they are. What was USFS thinking???

deedee1

Record Breaker
So, is your thinking that they need "tough love"?

Everyone is different and probably has a unique coaching strategy that will work for them. Some need that tough love, that kick in the butt to get them going. Others may be more fragile and need someone to comfort them when they mess up...it's a personality thing.

I did not want to be mean to them at all.
I picked Jeremy and Alissa for my dream podium in another thread.
I just wonder what is the best way for them at this time of the season, being so close to the Worlds...

Both are the National Champions multiple times already.
So, the reason they decided to continue competitive skating after Vancouver, at this point of their career, is to get on the World podium or even win the World title, isn't it? Or what is the point for them to stay eligible, paying for ice time and to coaches, training very hard everyday, going on a certain diet (being based in the US, a rather strict diet, probably)? Because they want it badly, I suppose.

I sincerely hope both Alissa and Jeremy can regain their consisitency on jumps and their confidence in time for Worlds and skate lights out.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jeremy is puzzling to me. He and his frequent Twits generally display a light hearted, funny, even goofy personality while being positive and determined about his skating, voicing his confidence often. Yet we see a completely different person when he steps on the ice to begin his program. His face is hard to watch as it usually shows intense nervousness and fear even. A fall on the opening quad will often bring down most of the other jumps in his program as his confidence and focus are shot. As soon as he finishes his skate, he displays yet another completely different countenance, mostly relief, and he reverts to his cheerful self even if he has just skated badly. Whether or not it's a put on bravado, he doesn't seem to let poor performances and result get him down.

It's fitting that he's a Gemini. We can only hope for the right twin to show up at competitions.

Yuka and Jason have now a collection of talented headcases to train, mentor, and manage. Let's see if they can be miracle workers who impart consistency to their very special students.

Thanks for the link.

I can't imagine what Jeremy thinks he learned from that event, except, land your jumps or you're toast.

It would be cool as anything if Jeremy could pull off that beautiful lullaby music. But it must be hard to jump to. Nothing to get your blood pumping.